Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MoT failure on play where steering arm enters rack?

Johnny Graham

Hi, just in case this is familiar to anyone. I have been failed on about 2mm 'up and down' play where the arm enters the rack (the play is NOT at the inner track rod joint where he thought it was, that joint is totally good..)

Can't find any trace of this as being a problem either here or stateside. Mainly racks seem to be replaced because of leaks..I'll post on rennlist too but anyone any thoughts?

The car drives great and this is obviously a huge ballache if it means a new rack.

Cheers

Appeal the failure, I had a failure on a corroded brake pipe, I asked to see the old one and there was nothing wrong with it, I have also bought cars that should never have passed an m.o.t, Even today, the m.o.t often isn't worth the paper its written on.

During the period when you are in the appeal process, is the vehicle effectively without an MOT due to the failure and hence cannot be legally driven except by a pre-arranged appointment for a re-test?

I'm sure some garages are more lenient than others. Some will write items down as a consideration, some fail, some pass.

Take our Porsche vehicles, they pass an MOT with a note on the certificate remarking 'under trays in place, unable to check' (or something like that).

I've known people to have a failure only to go round the corner to another testing station for it to pass with no work done at all.

Which is nice, but rather un-nerving if if is safety specific.

Boggles the mind!! :dont know:

my car was sold with a fresh no advisory m.o.t, my mechanic told me it wasn't roadworthy and proved it by showing me the state of the braking system, believe me, mot is worse than ever. The m.o.t system in india is far better.

I think there is a place Bristol way that advertises on eBay Here for 200 notes exchange if you actually need one :thumb:

I thought the whole idea of the test being computerised is that when you take a. failed car to another station, as soon as they enter the vehicle details it will show the car has failed at another station.

What about the appeal procedure. Can you use the car during the appeal on a refusal to issue an MOT certificate? If you cant, then the law is an ass because who will be without their car pending the outcome of the review?

Thanks guys..this is definitely one of those ones where I bet another station wouldnt notice it. The movement is SO subtle :dont know:

He is normally pretty reasnable which is why i use him. I am going to talk to him tomorrow again..

Thanks for the link to those recon guys, 200 inc uplift and delivery, amazing! I thought it was going to be 600 odd!

Just looked at my join date and realised what a lurker Ive been on 911uk, lol.

Just to finish this thread before I ask another question about my 996..

I took it back to the guy with the boot and under tray off and he is right, when the car is up on the ramp and the power steering on/wheel on the ramp (not jacked up), it does look very loose when you operate the steering. I spoke to steering rack recon guys and it isn't unheard of, there is a bushing that can wear out.

However, taking off the front diff cover also revealed to me that I have a split inner driveshaft boot on one side, and very scarily, the other side inner driveshaft bolts were all loose, and backed out a few mm! :eek:

So, I am going to accept the Karma, and get it sorted over the winter. £200 for a rack recon isn't the end of the world. And Christ knows what would have happened if that driveshaft had let go at big speed..

Thanks for the replies..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back