Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sunroof in a GT3

angry

So Paragon have got a GT3 in prep to sell, all looks good BUT its got a Sunroof fitted!!
Is that not a bit odd, in a GT3?? :dont know:

angry said:
So Paragon have got a GT3 in prep to sell, all looks good BUT its got a Sunroof fitted!!
Is that not a bit odd, in a GT3?? :dont know:

Every GT3 sold in the USA had one; you couldn't option it out either. Pretty rare to encounter on a C16 car but not unknown. I have no idea why anyone would think it appropriate for a GT3 but there are some odd folks around!

Bit more room if you have your helmet on.. :D

Not a big deal on a comfort spec car, could be good for enjoying the noise too? I rather like a moon roof on a road car.

10+% of C16 997.1 GT3 are sunroofed-up.

My friend has an atlas grey 997.1 GT3 with sunroof, very nice car.

Niall996 said:
What's wrong with having a sunroof? GT3's are also road cars.

Because it adds 20+Kg at the top of the car & raises the centre of gravity. I've taken out the steel panel in mine & replaced it with carbon fibre to save 6KG. IME, sunroofs are a pain, they always go wrong &/or leak eventually. Personally, I never used them anyway & now actively avoid buying cars with them fitted if at all possible.

NXI20 said:
Niall996 said:

Because it adds 20+Kg at the top of the car & raises the centre of gravity. I've taken out the steel panel in mine & replaced it with carbon fibre to save 6KG. IME, sunroofs are a pain, they always go wrong &/or leak eventually. Personally, I never used them anyway & now actively avoid buying cars with them fitted if at all possible.

A sunroof weighs three stone?

Not everyone bought a GT3 to track it though, even Porsche said it was designed for the road but inspired by the track.

Fast road car with creature comforts, don't see the problem. Now if there was an RS or Clubsport with one, different story.

Out of all the GT3's currently for sale, three have sunroofs. If all goes well, I'll be collecting mine on Wednesday, yes it has a sunroof :thumbs:

Niall996 said:
NXI20 said:
Niall996 said:

A sunroof weighs three stone?

Took one out of my M3 and weighed the "cartridge" at 23kg... So yes. Worst place for that weight too. If you are not having a clubsport thn it dont matter. US couldn't spec clubsport and I really, really doubt if any of the 10% with sunroofs were also clubsport models.

I would say it doesn't totally gel with the gt3 ethos. But you could paint one pink and i would say the same, still a great car.

Cool, just wanted your opinions.
I personally wouldn't buy a GT3 to use only on the road.
Was more concerned about resale value, but seeing as most of you don't mind them and the amount produced, I guess its not a problem.
I have one on my 993 and 996TT and never use them though... :thumb:

Didnt the 964 rs touring have a roof?

Hi all

I've been on the 993 forum for a bit and spotted this today as I've just bought the paragon car.

It's a slightly odd spec I agree - sunroof plus fully electric sports seats etc etc - but it drives beautifully and personally I will be using it on the road the vast majority of the time, so I'm ok with that. It certainly didn't feel anything less than fully committed when opened up...

Still can't get over how good that engine is...

Attachments

• image_704.jpeg
    image_704.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 6,078
Your GT3 looks awesome mate, was tempted to view it myself but went for this white 16,000 miler in the end, had it two weeks now, it is a beast, and doesn't have a sunroof, but the black one i also viewed did, and id didn't put me off.

It looks awesome in silver, well done.

Thanks Tony. I love the thing. Despite all the hype it impressed me more than I could have expected.

Yours looks lovely in white!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back