Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polish for silver body

madge said:
CarreraMonkey said:
On the black car i was able to remove a few significant marks and scratches on the old black car using Megs' Ultimate Compound and a decent polishing pad. The art is to keep working the product until it breaks down, but that's not so easy when you're doing it by hand.

Another excellent choice there CarreraMonkey. :thumb:

Meg's UC is easy to find at your local motor store and has a bit more cut than M205 so makes sense if you're hand polishing. One thing I will say though is that you don't need to break it down like you do with a lot of other compounds. It uses non-diminishing abrasives so in fact it won't break down.

Ah! interesting! Every dyes a school day.

I use menzerna 3500 on the rotary no 2200 if it's particularly bad, although I've only had to use the latter once. It's all rather scarey without knowing how much clear cote is on there and how many times it's been done previously..

He who dares though Rodders..

CarreraMonkey said:
Ah! interesting! Every dyes a school day.

I use menzerna 3500 on the rotary no 2200 if it's particularly bad, although I've only had to use the latter once. It's all rather scarey without knowing how much clear cote is on there and how many times it's been done previously..

He who dares though Rodders..

Have you got a paint depth gauge? If not you are a brave man indeed to use your rotary on your P. :eek:

Mine is pretty similar to this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEM-DT-15...930755?hash=item3f63b7d183:g:28QAAOSwR5dXR~hE

Well worth spending £50 - £100 when you consider the price of respraying the panel.

You're not going to know how much of the paint reading is clearcoat without spending about £2,000 but it will give you a good idea of how much paint you have to play with. A good way to estimate is to compare to the door sills which don't usually have much clear on them. So the difference between the two readings is approximate to the amount of clearcoat.

madge said:
Have you got a paint depth gauge? If not you are a brave man indeed to use your rotary on your P. :eek:

Mine is pretty similar to this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEM-DT-15...930755?hash=item3f63b7d183:g:28QAAOSwR5dXR~hE

Well worth spending £50 - £100 when you consider the price of respraying the panel.

You're not going to know how much of the paint reading is clearcoat without spending about £2,000 but it will give you a good idea of how much paint you have to play with. A good way to estimate is to compare to the door sills which don't usually have much clear on them. So the difference between the two readings is approximate to the amount of clearcoat.

Lol - Yep! I completely polished the wifes's 996 cab without any experience and no paint depth gauge! Mental? Possibly!! :bandit:

I shall buy one of those gauges, but probably won't have it in time.

What could possibly go wrong.. :p

:lol:

CarreraMonkey said:
Wash, Decontaminate with tar and iron remover, clay, polish / glaze, wax.

It won't cover any serious scrtaches or swirls, but it will look a heck of a lot better.

I'd heard that checkthefleck was good and recommended it to Phil. He liked it so much he bought the company.

image8439.jpg

Well not quite, but you get the idea...

I have not seen that ad for years mate :floor: :floor: made me laugh nice one :thumb: :grin:

CarreraMonkey said:
Lol - Yep! I completely polished the wifes's 996 cab without any experience and no paint depth gauge! Mental? Possibly!! :bandit:

:grin: Ha ha, yes what indeed!

If your pad starts turning guards red, stop quick! :)

madge said:
CarreraMonkey said:

:grin: Ha ha, yes what indeed!

If your pad starts turning guards red, stop quick! :)

A friend of mine told me to stop when the pad starts smoking. Wise words. :grin:

I've no experience of Porsche paint thickness is it usually quite good?

KJD said:

No idea. I don't have depth gauge, but I'd expect it to be similar to other vag group cars.

Modern Porsche paint is considered to be of intermediate hardness.

KJD said:

In my limited experience I would expect pretty much all modern factory paint finishes to be somewhere around 150 - 200 microns. A micron is one thousandth of a millimetre - so not really much paint on there even from new!

I am aware that Koenigsegg deliberately put a lot of clearcoat on their cars just so that they can be polished many times. Porsche take note.

What varies much more than the thickness is the hardness. Very much a generalisation, but Porsche paint is often on the soft side for a German marque and sometimes can be "sticky" meaning the paint kind of grabs at the pad when machine polishing and makes it really hard work to get a decent finish. The bonnet in particular on my old Cayman was very sticky but the rest of the car was ok. :? It might have been the aluminium rather than steel underneath. :dont know:

I have only used one product on my Arctic Silver 996, so can't offer much of a comparison view, but was very pleased with the ease of use and the result.
It surprised me how much it really made the silver flake 'pop'.
So I'd recommend Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid Sealant Wax.

Cheers,

Pickse said:
I have only used one product on my Arctic Silver 996, so can't offer much of a comparison view, but was very pleased with the ease of use and the result.
It surprised me how much it really made the silver flake 'pop'.

Cheers,

I've got some and used it before. It's really good stuff. Great finish and really durable being a hybrid wax. Especially if you use do lime prime to clean the paint before applying.
Its available in panel pots so well worth a try.
Good suggestion for an lsp, but he'll still need to put some work in before he gets to apply it.

Pickse said:

Cheers,

Love Dodo Juice products - I use Purple Haze on my Lapis Blue car and it's the shizzle.

arry said:
Pickse said:

Cheers,

Love Dodo Juice products - I use Purple Haze on my Lapis Blue car and it's the shizzle.

Purple haze is a pleasure to use. Good over PB blackhole on dark cars.

Incidentally, dodo juice own or are strongly affiliated with bouncers... Bouncers is their boutique brand I think.

You should try checkthefleck on your laps blue. I think it would blow your socks off.

CarreraMonkey said:
arry said:
Pickse said:

Cheers,

Purple haze is a pleasure to use. Good over PB blackhole on dark cars.

Incidentally, dodo juice own or are strongly affiliated with bouncers... Bouncers is their boutique brand I think.

You should try checkthefleck on your laps blue. I think it would blow your socks off.

Arry as Monkey says try the "check the fleck" we have a trial tub doing the rounds its going to KJD on Sunday then he's passing it on drop him a PM if you want to try it. not sure if there is another member first but then it can come to you to try. see pics in the thread below of my midnight car done with it.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

:thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back