Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Worthy rival?

spongebob squarepants

Lotus Evora 400. It kinda looks incredibly good from all angles. For probably the first time ever easy to enter and exit and with good creature comforts. It's not to German standards, however it's 911 quick and beyond, does nearly 30 mpg, mad by all accounts to drive but is useable everyday and it's a 2+2. I've not driven one yet but I'm still in love with my Lotus Elise from years back. Combine that with a sort of reasonable price (compared to a 911!) and I can't help thinking this has almost super car credentials and is a little special seriously thinking about one...

I was chatting to an Evora owner about 12 months ago down in Gloucestershire when I was doing a job at his company, he loved the way that the car drove, but was let down by build quality, problems with lights/electrics and the age LOTUS issues :sad:

Shame really as they look fantastic :thumb:

I used to have Lotus`s back in my early 20`s, I loved driving them, hated the bills for fixing them :nooo:

kurlykris said:
I was chatting to an Evora owner about 12 months ago down in Gloucestershire when I was doing a job at his company, he loved the way that the car drove, but was let down by build quality, problems with lights/electrics and the age LOTUS issues :sad:

I used to have Lotus`s back in my early 20`s, I loved driving them, hated the bills for fixing them :nooo:

Evora S or 400 though? as the 400 is pretty much a different car in terms of quality

i find it easier to be enthusiastic about the Lotus whilst I respect the Porsches capabilities. The build quality gets better each year and is now real competition. Dealers expect them to be used, tracked and modified and the warranty seems to be quibble free. No luggage space though

Will stick with the Porsche for the time being, but the tipping point is getting closer. At the moment, for high mileage and durability, the Porsche still has it beaten.

Build quality will be shoite so carry a crosshead screwdriver and a bag of self tappers :thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
kurlykris said:

Evora S or 400 though? as the 400 is pretty much a different car in terms of quality

Wouldn`t know them apart matey, but apparently he had to buy new headlights for some reason ? :sad:

Captain Lockheed said:
I looked for one in 2014, but couldn't find a good one.

Do they vary that much? Was there a common theme of things that weren't right, or just general issues?

I agree though they are nice looking cars. Very special, and they've grasped that some buyers do actually like having proper sports 2+2 (not a saloon coupe), something few other cos have got.

Robertb said:
Do they vary that much? Was there a common theme of things that weren't right, or just general issues?

From my limited research, the used cars looked tatty very quickly, even those offered at dealers. Trim that comes adrift, wear patches on seats, scuffed door plates, plastic coating on headlights and more. The mechanical bits seem to work well, although clutches can be fragile.

I was at the Lotus festival two weeks ago and the 400's on display were a step change for the better, compared to a couple of years ago. Very desirable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back