Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

G-Techniq C5 wheel Armour - Updated How to!

Thanks for the write-up. C5 is another great investment!

I've applied Gtechniq C5 to my set of summer wheels (carrera sport design on a 997) over 1y ago and it was quite a lot of work -- with the wheels off. And the 15ml bottle was used to the very last drop. The result was awesome, the wheels are so much easier to clean now.

There's 1 thing I found frustrating with this process - I never managed to get the wheels perfectly clean and flat on the inside, even after quite a few iterations, there's still a lot of black muck held to the harder to reach surfaces like the inside of the spokes, etc. Also there's the remains of balancing weights that I couldn't remove (will probably need to scrape them).

I might reapply towards the end of this year or next year just before fitting them again.

Cheers,
Pedro.

Well, after doing a little digging it turns out that I['ve learnt that Gtechniq C1, C4 & C5 are the very same product!!

So it's perfectly OK to use one or the other on both plastics and wheels (and paint if you're brave / stupid enough).

Everyday is a school day! 8)

Interesting, not something I've come across before but it sounds like the results are surperb.
Will you be using this product on the sport design wheels? I'd be interested to know the results having the same wheels myself.

Yep. Will go on the red cars wheels and the black cars wheels.

Will also do both cars exterior plastics with it as well.

Ok, so here's a bit of a thread update. Having taken ownership of 2 cars with daffy wheels recently, I figured it was about time to start preparation for the maintenance routine, so the wheels need to have a coat of C5 to make them easier to keep clean.

The following process took just over an hour, so not too horrendous..

First off, to do the job properly, I need to take the wheels off. Firstly the tools and note how I've wrapped masking tape around the socket to prevent scratching the paint on the wheels.

I had to park the car on a concrete slab to get a jack under it. One of the drawbacks of owning a low car.

Wheel off, you can see it's pretty clean, but to be coated with c5 it has to be absolutely clean, so the wheel gets a rinse and a spray with the dreaded

Whilst the Trix gets to work, Theresa time to clean and prepare the under arch! Rinse, spray with neat APC and then agitate with a brush!

Rinse again and dry, before applying some plastic dressing. I used Autoglym plastics gel, which doesn't last long and isn't great, but I have a fair bit of it and who's going to be looking under there anyway..

Back to the wheel and the Trix is working its magic.

Agitate it with a brush, to loosen it all up and rinse off.

Then blitz again with a coat of APC and tickle until clean. :D

Note that I rest the wheels on some batons to prevent the rims being damaged!

And you can see how clean it is after a rinse and being dried with a Mf clothe!

Then standard procedure: soak a cloth in panel wipe and thoroughly clean the wheel again, before applying the C5.

Buff it lightly to remove any excess.

On both sides..

Finish the tyres with some dressing and refit.

Keep them dry for 12 hours to avoid streaking. And don't forget to torque up your wheels when they are back on!

Only 3 more wheels to go on this car, but the next years worth of washing will make the pain worthwhile..

pjvenda said:
There's 1 thing I found frustrating with this process - I never managed to get the wheels perfectly clean and flat on the inside, even after quite a few iterations, there's still a lot of black muck held to the harder to reach surfaces like the inside of the spokes, etc. Also there's the remains of balancing weights that I couldn't remove (will probably need to scrape them).

Pedro.

Fold a kitchen paper towel or similar to make a pad and soak in Tardis tar remover. Put over the balance weight glue and leave for 5 - 10 minutes. Should be enough to dissolve the glue. Then just rub off with an old microfibre. Tardis will dissolve most crud from wheel backs. Alternatively a claybar should do the job. :thumb: No need to scrape which will damage the paint finish.

CarreraMonkey said:
Well, after doing a little digging it turns out that I['ve learnt that Gtechniq C1, C4 & C5 are the very same product!!

So it's perfectly OK to use one or the other on both plastics and wheels (and paint if you're brave / stupid enough).

Everyday is a school day! 8)

Nice job on the wheel!

Just to confirm this I have C1 on my 911 now and its just the same as the C5 on the wife's Golf.

Bloody hell Monkey I want the inside of my wheel arches looking like that :thumb: :grin: no I have to educate my detail guys an another new product :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Bloody hell Monkey I want the inside of my wheel arches looking like that :thumb: :grin: no I have to educate my detail guys an another new product :grin: :grin:
Actually, under the arches would be an ideal location to apply c5 as they'd look better for longer. But it would be a lavish use of a relatively expensive product!

CarreraMonkey said:
Phil 997 said:
Actually, under the arches would be an ideal location to apply c5 as they'd look better for longer. But it would be a lavish use of a relatively expensive product!

Lavish away mate :thumb: :grin:

[quote="Phil 997"

Lavish away mate :thumb: :grin:[/quote]

OK, I'll do the other 3 arch liners with C5, starting with tonight's wheel. It will allow me to do the how to that Osh asked for.

It will also be good to compare against the Autoglym gel product used last night which will last for about a 2 washes..

Great work Monkey :thumb:

I spent a a huge amount of time doing my wheels and arches and agree the the plastic trim products don't last that long on the arch liners so using your C5 will be a good time investment so I'll be interested to see how these turn out.

Although pulling your wheels off is a pain it's the only proper way to clean them and while they are off and you also get access to the callipers to give them a good clean and apply coat of wax :thumb:

Just to add I found the wheel removal tool and the Poly jack pads make this job a lot easier those 19" rims and tyres are damn heavy !

KJD said:
Great work Monkey :thumb:

I spent a a huge amount of time doing my wheels and arches and agree the the plastic trim products don't last that long on the arch liners so using your C5 will be a good time investment so I'll be interested to see how these turn out.

Although pulling your wheels off is a pain it's the only proper way to clean them and while they are off and you also get access to the callipers to give them a good clean and apply coat of wax :thumb:

Just to add I found the wheel removal tool and the Poly jack pads make this job a lot easier those 19" rims and tyres are damn heavy !

Yes, calipers get a clean whilst the wheels are off. What is the wheel removal tool and what are poly pads?

You basically remove a wheel bolt and insert a length of threaded bar which takes the weight and allows easier removal fitting of the wheels. Less chance of chipping the paint on your callipers and supports the wheel while you insert the first couple of wheel bolts.

The jack pads insert into the jacking point have a bayonet fitting so you can insert and just jack the car up on a nice flat surface. I use a low level motorsport jack.
Saves any damage to your jacking points underseal and your knees .

Pictures of both can be seen in my thread below.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112480&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back