Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommendations for roller garage door

RJW1881 said:
I can highly recommend Hormann insulated sectional up and over garage doors. I'm located 100 miles away from you so can't help with an installer. I just finished my garage about 6 weeks ago. I had it plastered and the floor tiled, could you be happier wit it.

Wow, our front room is not that cool :D

I see they do both types of doors, is it that the sectional door is more secure that you guys have chosen it over a roller and are not fussed with losing the space when door is open? I can potentially also live with that.

I'll contact them on my return, do they have approved fitters in your area?

Bund said:
Some very cool garages, I could be happy with just white washing the walls, I've also thought about the rubber tilling and tiled floor, ideally I'd go tile but I'll train in my garage so the floor will get wet so likely go rubber. Can you trust eBay for such things?

In my current garage I just gave all the walls a couple of coats of cheapie magnolia emulsion, fitted a load of strip lights, then for the floor I painted it a few coats of nice blue Polyurethane Floor Paint. I got a massive barrel of the stuff cheap from Toolstation. 6 years on, its been really hard wearing and has been subjected to loads of abuse from jacking up cars/welding/dropping weights etc.

Thank god your all in favour of Hormann I've just ordered two for the garage and I'm going to have a go at fitting them myself. Im using this as an excuse to pull the ceiling down, someone artexed it purple! and then I'm going to insulate between the joists put in strengtheners for the door supports, rewire and then sheet with fire resistant plaster board, skim of plaster then paint white. Put in loads of strip lights and it should look good.
Mind you I won't have that stunning view from my living room, although I could put in a camera!

Hi Nick,

I'm already in the Hormann camp having recently had a new sectional insulated door supplied and fitted by the Door Centre North East. The cost of the doors are tightly controlled by Germany, particularly with the recent change to exchange rates.

My door was not possible for a diy install due to it's size. All work is covered by the supplier and the cost to replace a single panel if accidently damaged is large. Are you sure it works to install yourself?

Come and have alook at mine if you fancy,

Cheers, Keith.

Hi, my doors are singles and about as small as is possible! My mother had a garage built and had a double Hormann door fitted and it's perfect, never ever had a problem with it.
If I'm up in your area I will give you a call and we can have a cuppa and admire your garage, I have been following the other thread regarding garages and I have loads of ideas now.
Are you in the know regarding AC units? I have one fitted in my house and I could move it to the garage but it appears to have a fault.

I've been in touch with Hormann and they said to contact Academy/GB Doors, High Wycombe, so I've now sent them an email and will call when back in the country.

The opening is about 4.3 X 2.1, I'm still undecided on roller or sectional and was thinking to put the turbo in, a spare 50" TV and sofa, desk/trading screens plus bag hanging in the corner. Now I'm not sure if a low mileage MP4 is a good idea but this garage isn't that big after all.👍

Hi Bund,
I can recommend sectional. Looks better from the outside and thicker insulation.

Hi Nick,
I'd hold back with the a/c until you get the doors fitted. The delta T in my garage (double, extra high) is minimal and provides better comfort than in the house!

Cheers, Keith.

I've noticed a bit of graffiti in the area, are there certain finishes available that make this easier to remove.

The dog and I will be on patrol also to hopefully deter the Warhol's.

I've noticed a bit of graffiti in the area, are there certain finishes available that make this easier to remove.

The dog and I will be on patrol also to hopefully deter the Warhol's.

Trevor from AHA fitted a Carteck door and used a Hormann closer for me in 2010. He was very responsive, easy to deal with, flexible and did a great job. I think he subsequently did an installation for my father in law (tricky to please) and he was happy too!

No issues in 6 years. Very happy to recommend him!

I got my doors direct from The Garage Door Centre, worked out at £2100 supply only whereas having them supplied and fitted was going to be £3800 locally.
The other make that seems popular but only from a price perspective is Novoferm, they are a copy of the Hormann but a lot cheaper.

We had a Hormann sectional door installed at our last house back in 2005. Excellent quality and i will look to have the same again fitted when I eventually get rid of the useless wooden doors on our current garage. I think we only have these as the current house is quite recent and these crappy doors were demanded by the planning officer to be more in keeping with the village... Something to do with being a conservation area. Anyhow, definitely going back to Hormann👍👍

PS We had it factory finished in a pasrticular RAL colour, so they had a perfect durable finish that exactly matched the colour pallet of the house.

Ive instructed quotes from Seceuroglide(somfy motor) and Hormann, just waiting on quotes now but likely to go roller shutter. I think times to install will be a key as i understand they are both of similar quality or is that wrong?

thanks

Roller shutter :thumb:
- more headroom, access to roof space (if you have it) and lighting not obscured when door open.

Not sure on diff between Seceuroglide and Hormann - Seceuroglide made in UK :thumbs: . Are warranties similar?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back