Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help!! Locking wheel nuts are damaged. What to do?

Jcx

Gang,

My locking wheel nuts are damaged and on at least one the locking wheel nut key slips when trying to undo the nut.

What are my options for removal?

Thx

Are you sure that you havent cracked the locking wheel nut 'key' itself. I broke mine taking off wheel nuts last time being too rough and had to buy a new one. I then used plenty of penetrating fluid and a breaker bar to ease off the rusted nuts rather than jumping up and down on the wheel brace.

I think most tyre places (incl OPC) have a 'tool' to remove them. Get them out and get a new set as they can wear/damage if fitters are not careful applying the coded socket.

As above it could be the actual coded socket itself that's worn and may just need to be replaced

Be careful going to some places as 'tool' has been used to describe incompetent operators of equipment
:hand:

Thx chaps. It may be the key that is damaged. It worked fine on one of the locking nuts though which had me thinking it was the nut rather than the key that was duff.

Me not being the nut in the passage above :)

However, my head nut is now sore as I did manage to damamge self in process and now have self-styled stitches in eyebrow where long bar made contact after slipping on wheel nut. I have a bit of a headache and am down on claret but that'll refill :)

note to self: always push down and never pull up on long bar as when it slips it hits you in the head with impressive speed and force.

:oops:

great tips from chris re tightening the others and then undoing the locking nut.

That's funny but not funny! I'd like to see that in Total 911, with the headline, 'Joe is a cut above the rest', when it comes to spanner work.

I've never heard that before, usually a back induced injury or lost skin on the ankle from using the foot to undo tight bolts.

MNC911 said:
That's funny but not funny! I'd like to see that in Total 911, with the headline, 'Joe is a cut above the rest', when it comes to spanner work.

I've never heard that before, usually a back induced injury or lost skin on the ankle from using the foot to undo tight bolts.

Lol. On the mend already.

Jcx said:
note to self: always push down and never pull up on long bar as when it slips it hits you in the head with impressive speed and force.

:oops:

I shouldnt but I just pmsl at that. :floor:

Ive always pushed down as you can deliver more force etc.

With the locking nuts, a mate of mine lost the key for his. Wasnt a problem until his tyres were worn down to the canvas :eek: at which point he popped over mine and asked me if I could help. I hammered an (slightly smaller) impact socket onto his locking nut, then used a breaker bar to undo it. Came straight undone. However that might depend upon the type of locking nut you have.

Halfords sell sockets that remove locking wheel nuts. Push it over the nut, and turn until it bites and removes the nut. So simple that I now don't have locking nuts on my car, waste of time if they can be removed anyway so easily.

I had this a few weeks back on my car, first of all I broke my locking key trying to get a nut off. First thing I did was drove to Porsche colchester and they had a master set and got 3 of them out for me. When they got to the one that broke my key they managed to break their key on it as well... Nothing else I could do so I bought a set of the keys from halfords and these were no good, put simply they wouldn't fit.

I then bought an irwin set from machine mart and had better luck but couldn't get the leverage. In the end I had no choice but to turn to extreme measures:

Good news vince. I am hopeful that a new key will fix all my woes...

16 new black. It's and 4 new black locking nuts with new splined heads vs. Older random-toothed oddities. And £150 poorer... Holy smoke.

Dealer hadn't received the new key I need for my existing locking nuts so I'll need to drop in again next week to collect.

Am hopeful that a new key will get existing lockers off. And I am consoling myself that black nuts will look so much nicer than silver nuts in my wheels...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back