Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

200 cell cats vs RSR mufflers

2 x RS videos in one thread...:worship:...stunning!!

tp81 said:
Never had any drone with or without the RSR.

In relation to the video I would say its fair representation, slightly deeper than in real life. A video tends to muffle some of the mechanical sharp tone.

I took a short clip tonight of mine at idle, no one to press the loud pedal, sorry (perhaps rope my son one night this week). Its not overly loud but nice and purposeful.
Brilliant, thanks very much for taking time out to post a video :thumb: The key is no drone when driving, under load, or at steady cruising. I'm almost sold...

NottsRS said:
Hope you don't mind, I thought it might be helpful as a comparison, here's a clip at idle of Gert's 100 Cell CAT inserts with RSR's. There's no drone at all or intrusive cabin noise, a great soundtrack with the windows down at speed and through the gears, but probably not ideal for commuting or stuck in traffic! :D
Don't think anyone is going to mind seeing another RS video! 8) many thanks for posting!

As you say, it's probably just a little too much for a car used, at times, throughout the week. That said, it does sound awesome... angry... but in very, very nice way :)

Overall, I think I'm leaning towards the more subtle option of the 200 cell cats only. Appreciate the opinions posted thus far!

I'm sure mine is as loud with just the gutted back boxes. I measured it at 102db at 3/4 throttle. Not loud on the move or droning. I'd like to put two cars side by side though and listen for real

tp81 said:
Ch3tman,

No problem, happy to help if I can.

In relation to the 200 cell CAT, I didn't want to risk not passing any sound checks if I track the car. The C2S just made it at Oulton Park with the 200 Cell and the RSR mod. Not particularly keen on it being too loud either.

I have only ever bought from Gert so cant comment.

Never had any drone with or without the RSR.

In relation to the video I would say its fair representation, slightly deeper than in real life. A video tends to muffle some of the mechanical sharp tone.

I took a short clip tonight of mine at idle, no one to press the loud pedal, sorry (perhaps rope my son one night this week). Its not overly loud but nice and purposeful.

https://youtu.be/kgGR_hlTRPs

Don't know how to embed the player? Can someone help?

Cheers

Tom

Tom,

What cat did you get?

whats the RSR mod?

I am looking at cats and possibly a back box but little concerned about passing the noise levels at track days?

Sam

Ch3tman, did you make the change?

Closer to pulling the trigger!

Part of me wants to go for Gerts HJS cats, a well known brand. But it means more hassle re: labour to remove/refit. Yet everyone appears to be happy with Powerspeed's unbranded job-lot-ordered-from-the-States cats (I asked them who the manufacturers their cats but they simply do not know...).

For anyone else reading with interest, worth noting the following all incl. prices from the original 911UK thread no longer applies:

adamw said:
Emailed Power-Speed today and spoke to Megan...Very helpful :thumb:

Offer still stands:
£495 for the 200 cell cat replacement
£639 for the 200 cell cat replacement, exhaust bypass, tips polished

Megan has stated they ideally need 2 cars at a time for this offer to stand but providing this is the case this offer has no expiry for 911uk'ers (never say never but certainly not for the foreseeable future)

Their price is currently set to 600+VAT.

If/when I decide to go for it, and find time to get it done, I'll post back with some initial impressions :thumb:.

Either route will be good. I can only speak from my experience. I am not sure if you say my post about me changing the spoilers on my car. While the car was in the garage I had them pull the silencers off and sent theme to Gert to have them modified. Gert organises the postage and all you have to do is package the component. He organises collection and ships back to you. It's hassle free.

On the basis my car is more of a weekend and occasional use i wanted to lift the sound a bit. It's definitely more full on at tick over but not that bad. With the sound deadening out you hear pops and burbels

In case helpful to anyone, here is the before/after of mine:
http://youtu.be/BCLu32VmmWo

I'm getting the rear mufflers made more aggressive (bypass pipes and removal of internal fluff) which I think is equivalent to Fister Stage III.

happy to post an update of how it sounds when I pick up the car on Saturday morning, if anyone is interested.

Nik said:
In case helpful to anyone, here is the before/after of mine:
http://youtu.be/BCLu32VmmWo

I'm getting the rear mufflers made more aggressive (bypass pipes and removal of internal fluff) which I think is equivalent to Fister Stage III.

happy to post an update of how it sounds when I pick up the car on Saturday morning, if anyone is interested.

Very interested. I'm running Ceramic Coated Fister III's and the car is loud with pops and crackles on the overrun which I like. I've been thinking about 200 cell cats but unsure if it would be too loud, hence interested to hear your thoughts. ;)

C.

Sure, will post a video when I get the car back...

Out of interest, what are the benefits of ceramic coating ? Wonder if I missed a trick and should have had this done? :?:

Ceramic Coating reduces the radiated heat produced by the exhaust boxes. A lot of owners in the US run them without heat shields, however I chose to leave them in place as they were recently replaced for new.

C.

Yes, I'm running without shields round the back boxes (Fister 2's - black ceramic coating) ... no problem at all.

does any of these exhausts improve performance. got the standard exhaust on mine but want to have a tune up. needs to pass mot and perhaps go through noise police at circuits any advice its a c2 993 variorum 1996

I never got around to having the 200 cell cats installed, other stuff got in the way! :what:
However having heard a 993 with the Powerspeed cats today (thanks to fellow 993 owner, Sutton), coupled with the very helpful input in this thread, I'm going to go for it.

Anyone else interested before I call up Powerspeed to arrange a date? They may be able to do a deal if several of us commit to it.
Please post here to express an interest...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back