Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Sports exhaust - crackling & burbling

stallturn

I have recently bought a 991 Gen 1 911 C4S. As part of the deal, I got the OPC to put on a sports exhaust - to get those crackles and burbles on the over-run (as seen & heard in numerous you-tube videos).
However, the noise eminating from the pipes is not quite as rorty, crackling and burbling as I expected, being somewhat subdued.
I spoke to the chief technician at the OPC and he suggested that it was due to the car not having sports chrono fitted, and that the extra fuel delivered as part of the sports plus set-up was a contributor to the crackling/burbling noise of the sports exhaust.
Anyone have a view on this? Is this a viable explanation?

stallturn said:
I have recently bought a 991 Gen 1 911 C4S. As part of the deal, I got the OPC to put on a sports exhaust - to get those crackles and burbles on the over-run (as seen & heard in numerous you-tube videos).
However, the noise eminating from the pipes is not quite as rorty, crackling and burbling as I expected, being somewhat subdued.
I spoke to the chief technician at the OPC and he suggested that it was due to the car not having sports chrono fitted, and that the extra fuel delivered as part of the sports plus set-up was a contributor to the crackling/burbling noise of the sports exhaust.
Anyone have a view on this? Is this a viable explanation?

I have to say that I don't know much about the 991 but on my 996 as soon as I put 200 cell cats on it, it pops and burbles on the overrun and has a pretty epic exhaust note. I am thinking that some of these people on the YouTube Vids might be running x-pipes or similar.

In my experience if you want louder than PSE then a non OE system might be in order.

Have a 991.1 C4S with PSE and sports chrono package.

With PSE on, and in standard engine setting, the noise is increased, but any crackling and burbling is only minimal.

With sports setting (PSE automatically ON), crackling and burbling starts to become much more noticeable. :thumb:

With sports+ setting (PSE automatically ON), crackling and burbling is significant and just as per the YouTube vids. :thumbs:

Therefore, think the OPC technician is probably right on this occasion, the extra fuelling of the sports+ setting providing the snap, crackle and pop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back