Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Four Up - The Road Trip

Dijon? What are you doing going over there? I thought you were going to Barcelona? You want to be heading due south from Le Mans, avoid Paris, it'll slow you down :thumb:

alex yates said:
+1

.......and a credit card. For speedier tolls, use your credit card as it's quicker than bunging cash in.

We invested in a toll tag a few years ago so you can roll through the speedy lane looking all smug!

MNC911 said:
Dijon? What are you doing going over there? I thought you were going to Barcelona? You want to be heading due south from Le Mans, avoid Paris, it'll slow you down :thumb:

It's a tour rather than a blat!

Home
Calais
Dijon
Beziers
Barcelona
Pyrenees
Arcachon
Ile de Ré
Rouen-ish
Calais
Home :D

(Interestingly the Dijon stop is exactly the same distance as your stop!)
Must go to bed as we're up at stupid o'clock to catch the train! :wack:

Thanks for your help! :thumbs:

We have a toll tag for getting down to the Alps.
For driving in France it's a no brainier - hassle free on the roads and can be quite a bit quicker at the tolls during holiday season.

i too have a toll tag - makes it so much nicer especially if you're driving solo

i recently came back from the southern alps, lyon to home = 700 miles in one day including ferry (and in a landrover defender!!!), 550 miles of french peage with not a single hold up/major roadworks, off the ferry at dover and within 30 miles sitting in traffic!!

on saturday taking the C4 down towards monaco for a few days, love driving on the continent

nickmartin9 said:
i too have a toll tag - makes it so much nicer especially if you're driving solo

i recently came back from the southern alps, lyon to home = 700 miles in one day including ferry (and in a landrover defender!!!), 550 miles of french peage with not a single hold up/major roadworks, off the ferry at dover and within 30 miles sitting in traffic!!

on saturday taking the C4 down towards monaco for a few days, love driving on the continent

It's not funny is it, everyone thinks the same, you can sit from the south of France all the way to Calais and not be in one single hold up, hundreds of miles. Arrive back in Blighty and it's full of morons blocking the lanes & traffic jams.

I'll give 100% donned cap to the French (& everyone will agree) their lane sense is amazing. As soon as they've overtaken a car they pull back in. Lorry drivers don't do the crawl past manoeuvre at 1mph faster for 2 miles, they'll wait till the road is clear behind.

& it is the GB style of driving because in France you see lots of English registration plated cars, sat in the middle or outside lane for no apparent reason. :?:

Where's jinjaninja :dont know:

:weed:

rob_p said:
We have a toll tag for getting down to the Alps.
For driving in France it's a no brainier - hassle free on the roads and can be quite a bit quicker at the tolls during holiday season.

Right people where is the link to the "Toll Tag" and what is the score with it? Do you have to have European bank account in Euros?

Pointers appreciated for my next trip down/up.

Pip

It's in Harrogate, Yorkshire :grin:

You link it to a credit card and the payment comes off your card after it's been used.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

Buenos Dias, mis amigos! Soy en Barcelona! :bandit:

Been really behaving myself on the autoroutes etc. I set the computer to zero when we left Folkestone and we are currently averaging 116km/h and 30.1mpg!

Will be heading into the Pyrennees in a couple of days and so fully expect that to plummet. No complaints from the rear passengers so far. Running for about 2 hours before letting the boys stretch their legs and switching drivers.

The only niggle is the range of the key remote. May change the battery in the hope that improves.

Adios!

(Still not sorted out photo posting :wack: )

jinjaninja said:

Been really behaving myself on the autoroutes etc. I set the computer to zero when we left Folkestone and we are currently averaging 116km/h and 30.1mpg!

Will be heading into the Pyrennees in a couple of days and so fully expect that to plummet. No complaints from the rear passengers so far. Running for about 2 hours before letting the boys stretch their legs and switching drivers.

The only niggle is the range of the key remote. May change the battery in the hope that improves.

Adios!

(Still not sorted out photo posting :wack: )

Well done on your venture. A little bit of humility will do the boys good and it sounds as if they are a good bunch anyway as they did not make a fuss. Many of the youth of today expect too much especially when they are born into money (ie dad owns a Porsche :) ).

I think the keys are recharged in the ignition are they not. I am sure they are on my old BMW. Anyway at least it will mean you will not sit down and pop the locks. I always use the key manually as I am wary of people using scanners.

Godspeed.

Pip :thumb:

jinjaninja said:

Adios!

Brilliant stuff.

Sounds like a trip that you all will remember forever - unless, the kids ask to do it again next year!

I've been trying to work up the energy to finish this thread, but keep putting it off.

The car behaved impeccably over 3,500km and 2.5 weeks. (Apart from the remote door key failing and having to put the key in the lock instead!)
The boys never complained once about travelling in the back. Removing the rear seat backs was a masterstroke.

18 hours before our return to Blighty, a lunatic Frenchman came hareing around a corner; cutting the apex and forcing me to stop. Whereupon he decided to panic, lock up his brakes and veer TOWARDS us and smashed into the front corner of our trusty C4S. :eek:

We were pushed around 90 deg and finished across the road. We were all fine and got out unharmed - apart from my wife's neck feeling a little achy (but that has proved to be no cause for concern) and I surveyed the wreckage.

Two days later, the Insurance company wrote the car off and that was the last that we saw of it. :nooo:

It was an epic journey and something that will always be a great memory, as long as we can expunge the trauma of the accident, the hassle of getting back to the UK (no thanks to ADAC :evil: ) and fighting with the Insurance for a decent settlement value.

*sigh*

For the time being we are now Porsche-less and probably will be for some time to come. Maybe I'll be able to return to the fold in due course but as the values rise, that will look less likely. I've really enjoyed the Porsche ownership, moreso due to this great forum and the meet ups etc. :thumb:
Cheers,
Rob.

:nooo: Really sorry to hear that. At least you're all ok. French are muppets when it comes to using the road.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back