Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 964 experience..

I'm surprised you say heavy weight car :?:
I have mine set so sharp i've embarrassed my pal's R8 and given a good "What's For" to a guy on the way to the Porsche club in his 991. I guess it's how you want the car to be :thumbs:

I am surprised myself really, seeing as many people use them for track cars and the like. Maybe it's just the combination of heavy steering, balloon tyres and original rear shocks (until adapters come) that give the impression of a heavy car.

It's certainly not awful or even bad but I just notice the tank like feel when jumping in it from my 997 or as I did today, jumping from it into my Mk1 MX5 which is a dart compared, obviously. I find the 964 just takes some effort to steer and get it round a corner and I can feel the weight of the thing through the controls, I would be interested to weigh it just to see if it is psychological or if it is actually heavy.

Google tells me it's 1445 kg, dry, tiptronic so slightly heavier than the 997. Either way, still a joy and occasion to drive!

Hi Mark,

Beautiful! You have done a fantastic job, the before and after photos are testament :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

Nice work Mark, lot of hard work but a nice transformation.
I see you still have the golf, have you kept the rh wheels? ( I still remember
The bargain price from clubgti forum)
It been a long time but does your mate also still have his silver corrado?

Yeah still have the golf g60 ed1 and the vw flip key for it that I bought of you way back in 2002!
You mentioned earlier that you may be interested in some eta beta krones, still the case? I only ask as I have a set available.

Yes, I am interested in the 5 spoke twist ETA's, 18" I think...

Finished up the small jobs on the car over the weekend and gave it a clean, again.

New rear wiper bolt cap

29204204232_d26a8c305d_c.jpg

Cap was missing on drivers side seat belt mounting.
29278559296_ac93f3b462_c.jpg

29278561476_371af7a2f8_c.jpg

New mirror mushroom button
29312316735_b6a15dd48e_c.jpg

New rear door card top washers
28689746724_8677c1f079_c.jpg

28689750634_0205889508_c.jpg

New drain grommets
29278597976_a4d180d20e_c.jpg

Can see that I've already managed to scrape the underside coming out from my drive!! Ordered some new waxoyl so I can repaint the marks.

New reinforcement strip
29233677771_d7da26801c_c.jpg

Can see that I've already managed to scrape the underside coming out from my drive!! Ordered some new waxoyl so I can repaint the marks.

28691630083_e3a0c8d200_c.jpg

One thing after another, managed to spot a leaking PAS pipe, found the exact point so I've got a replacement return pipe on order, not sure if that's going to be an awkward job.

Finished up fitting parts and gave both the cars a good wash and top up of Zaino.

28691649543_8514a2dc18_c.jpg

This is a photoshop but I'm undecided about stickering her with a carrera badge, I have a genuine one for the rear but not sure on it...

29278535286_d4f2df885a_c.jpg

That's that for now. Cleaned and covered ready to take to a wedding in 2 weeks times. In the mean time, collecting a new toy and annoyingly going away for a week the next day :(

Don't burn me, I can't wait, so much so I'm collecting it at midnight tomorow :bandit:

28674047232_4fab63be91_c.jpg

Great thread Mark and I'm learning all the time! Your car looks great.:thumb:
I didn't even know they had drain grommets, another for the shopping list along with replacements for the rusty rear seat bolts..
I'm currently beating myself up about this originality thing. During my repaint I ordered a replacement C2 badge(s) for the rear but prefer it without, so have yet to fit them... But they came with those fitted!
I even took screenshots from a thread showing the exact position measurements.... Sounds like you and I would get along really well!

Cheers for now!
M

Thanks M!

The list soon grows once you start taking a close look around the car and noticing small parts you had never taken notice of before :what:

I'm on and off with the badge, I blue tac'd it on and I'm just not sure on it, does it look too plain without, does it look cheap with it on, I can' decide. Positioning, I havn't gone to your level but I may need your notes! :)

Cheers,
Mark

Great thread Mark- I admire your dedication and have to say the car looks the absolute business.....you can't beat a mint condition red 964 coupe....
It's good you are able to do much of the work yourself because if you were paying an OPC their hourly rate I imagine it would now have cost the same as Nigeria's national debt....

Thanks! I am happy with how it has turned out, still a few more bits to do but I've taken a break from it at the moment as the Focus is taking my attention at the minute. There is no way in hell I would have achieved what I have without being a bit handy, I would probably have to spend half of what the car is worth! Luckily I enjoy jumping into projects, I'll be looking for the next soon no doubt :D

So not much has happened, I went away for a week to Amalfi Coast and the day after I got back, I had a wedding to attend so I decided on taking the 964 as the forecast was good and it would be a nice run from home over to Ascot.

I find just how small the 964 is compared to the Focus, or probably more how big the Focus is, completely dwarfs the 964!

29583798022_8a90c12b74_c.jpg

Arriving at the venue
29404334480_9b0b15ff8e_c.jpg

The car park was filled with various exotica but while I was hanging around, the 964 was the one which seemed to draw people over.

Anyone on here? 991 Turbo with T11RBO as the plate
29659662996_87219493e8_c.jpg

:?:
29404526510_fd554c4d6c_c.jpg

And some snaps on the way back, was the driver for the night while she got merry. Not a problem when getting to drive this back through clear roads.

29404334890_58569cbf0d_c.jpg

Wish I didn't leave the spoiler up here
29614333451_7d06d461fd_c.jpg

29659653986_6534365b7b_c.jpg

Home for the night
29068974964_2b3740233e_c.jpg

Cleaned the next day as the front picked up a fair few bugs
29070524123_724267bd49_c.jpg

The cars looking really sharp mark, time for some eta beta twists :thumbs:

I would love some but finding the right spec is hard, all the Golf boys have snapped them up :D Annoyingly, about a year before getting the 964, a close mate had a set which he sold for £650 with perfect tyres and 18". Had no use for them back then and sold for well under what they were worth. :pc:

The novelty of the RS has worn off a bit now so I'm back to working on the cars. Yesterday I thought I would tackle the job of replacing the weaping PAS return pipe. I under estimated this, in my mind, I thought I would simply be able to get under the car and simply pull pipe out once undone.. If I were to write instructions after the whole experience, I would still write that but I would need to add loads of swear words in the middle. What a pig of a job it turned out to be but it's 90% of the way done at the time of typing this.

I'm sure the OPC way of removing this pipe would be to remove the rear trailing arm and ARB but I managed to get the pipe out by just undoing the shock mount to give a few extra mm's of much needed clearance.

So, this is the shiny new pipe from Porsche. Judging by the bag. it looks like it's sat around for many many years but the pipe itself is pristine and in perfect shape.

29313691284_6805d44a74_c.jpg

29646909080_953cdd36b0_c.jpg

Hard to tell the leak from the wax sealent that's been sprayed everywhere but the pipe has a tiny tiny hole from sitting inside this little rubber bracket and when the system is working, i.e under pressure from steering, it weaps out and eventually drips.

29313607234_e6c822c416_c.jpg

First thing was to get the car in the air and I set about removing a metal under tray that covers the tunnel area in the centre of the car. Removing this exposes some lines, throttle cable and base of shifter.

29857744421_ea2cef801e_c.jpg

I'm sure this had never been removed before and it was completed welded in place!

Undid the hose I was replacing and let the fluid drip into a catch tank. The fluid was black with a hint of red. I believe that this is ATF as opposed to PAS fluid. I have read that I should use Pentosin CHF11S but some say just refill with ATF Dextron 2 or 3... I have yet to refill so I will probably ask a question to fellow UK 964's rather than go off of the 10 year old Rennlist forum posts that are very varied in opinion.

29857719621_0a77c228fb_c.jpg

No pictures happened for about 3 hours of wrestling with the bloody pipe. I could have cut it and pulled it out but I wanted to pull it out in one piece to make sure that I could get the new one in.. If I couldn't pull it out in 1 piece, then I wouldn't be able to slot the new one in ;) Logic!

So as I couldn't find any DIY guides for this at all, I was well and truly on my own and learning as I went, I try to do things in the easiest way possible and try and not disturb bolts that I don't need to but as my patience was wearing thin, my ideas were growing and undoing the rear trailing arm was becoming a reality, something I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy didn't want to do. I took a break and had a coffee, wiped the dirt out of my hair and face and thought I'd give it one more go, it's a case of twisting and pulling and finding an angle that works, well, within 1 minute of taking that break, it popped out!! Woohooo!!

Pictures resumed

Although 2 pieces here as I took pride in showing it who was boss by snapping the bloody thing where the hole was.

29826642882_b54417d4df_c.jpg

A better view of the rust

29826676462_c2942dc17f_c.jpg

i find it straight how it has rusted considering the rest of the car is rust free, this is now the last of the rusty pipes, it was only ever this and an engine oil return that were rusty and everything is perfect. Strange.

Refit time, I was expecting to have similar trouble, but the new pipe popped into place with ease, it was a bit tricky pointed the engine bay side up, I kept getting it caught up with the rear shock and having it go up inside the turret but after a little wiggle, it went where it needed to.

A simple job of popping all of the support brackets in place, new jubilee clips at both ends, centre tunnel cover refitted, rear shock and wheel bolted back on and that was me done for the day.

If you find yourself having to do this job, good luck, it's a ball ache, especially laying on a floor, a 4 poster and you'll have an easier life.

Feel very happy that it is complete, I just need to decide on a fluid and then bleed. :thumb:

Boring update I know, sorry.

My rear shock adapters are on the way from the US so once those arrive and I get some newer style rear top mount rubbers, I'll be able to drop the rear end by fitting the coilovers finally.

Must get around to send Tore my CCU now, leather clean up and OPC service and then that's my to do list for this complete :)

Until next time! :bye:

Not much to update here, I don't think I have driven it since the last update.

I've been spending many many many many hours making sure the paintwork is 1000% perfect as I'm about to apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum + Exo in order to protect the paintwork from swirl marks and save it from needing a polish for years to come. I have never spent so long perfecting a car and considering it was only just painted, it's taken longer than I thought.

Gave the car a pre-wash with fairy liquid, this removed all polish/wax/silicon on the car, bloody dulled some of the rubber too but nothing I can't sort.

30924113844_de54862a15_z.jpg

Beginning of the process using a DAS PRO / Megs MF kit here. A safe option as opposed to a rotary with waffle pad.

31618770242_0305f78ae6_z.jpg

31728212046_8724127687_z.jpg

31618763272_05266912b0_z.jpg

31765575135_3c123b042d_z.jpg

Over the moon with the result of a bare finish, there isn't a single micro scratch on it, really looking forward to seeing how this looks once the gtechniq has been applied and everything else dressed.

I have my rear top mount adapters now so I plan to get the rear coilovers fitted over the Christmas break and then start using it again, can't wait!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back