Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS - pdk - For Sale (maybe)

Re: Cay

Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Id say do it.

my eldest boy is over 6ft and my youngest is still only 7 years old but quite tall.

Even then they were younger they never really seemed to look comfortable in the back of my then 996.

I switched for the Cayman and now Im in a 981 Boxster S

Agreed depreciation might be a bit painful if you buy a nearly new one (not sure you'd still get an actual new one unless you are happy with the spec of one that is already on the forecourt - which is the route that I went).

What sort of mileage do you do?
If it is quite high, then a low miles Cayman might not depreciate as much as you expect as it wont be too long before the current car starts creeping up to a point where people will be getting fussy over it (it wouldnt put me off)

Having had a few 911's since 2009, the boys (19&16) just don't seem bothered about what their father does these days. Uni & 6th form plus computers and girls.....

My mileage is low in the GTS but for work I do 44k pa, this is another point, the GTS is a full fat 911 and customers perception of me rocking up in it can cause issues ( discussed at length many times on here ). So part of me thought could I use a Cayman and get over the 'he has a 911 must be loaded or charging too much scenario' ?

I don't honestly know, but buying a low mileage 14 plate would be a good starting point as a replacement.

My view on depreciation is that it's a given, but I do think the purists will like the 6 cylinder over the 718 versions in the short to medium term.

:thumbs:

Another thing to consider, if you are planning on a Cayman S and decide to use sometimes as a work car, it could be a bit noisy in the cabin on those long motorway journeys.
My reasoning on this is that the Cayman is the boxster with a roof added and the engine is in their with you. Whereas the boxster is separated if only by the hood but you don't get that white noise just over your shoulder.

What you using as your daily now? That's what you need to compare too.

Oh and BTW don't blame computers and girls for your boys losing interest. You can still have a computer and pull birds in the Cayman. Or did I misinterprate your comment :oops:

Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Id say do it.

my eldest boy is over 6ft and my youngest is still only 7 years old but quite tall.

Even then they were younger they never really seemed to look comfortable in the back of my then 996.

Agreed depreciation might be a bit painful if you buy a nearly new one (not sure you'd still get an actual new one unless you are happy with the spec of one that is already on the forecourt - which is the route that I went).

If it is quite high, then a low miles Cayman might not depreciate as much as you expect as it wont be too long before the current car starts creeping up to a point where people will be getting fussy over it (it wouldnt put me off)

Having had a few 911's since 2009, the boys (19&16) just don't seem bothered about what their father does these days. Uni & 6th form plus computers and girls.....

My mileage is low in the GTS but for work I do 44k pa, this is another point, the GTS is a full fat 911 and customers perception of me rocking up in it can cause issues ( discussed at length many times on here ). So part of me thought could I use a Cayman and get over the 'he has a 911 must be loaded or charging too much scenario' ?

I don't honestly know, but buying a low mileage 14 plate would be a good starting point as a replacement.

My view on depreciation is that it's a given, but I do think the purists will like the 6 cylinder over the 718 versions in the short to medium term.

Buy a VW Up! or a Smart car and drive that to those meetings and keep the GTS for hooning.

wilpert said:
Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Id say do it.

Another thing to consider, if you are planning on a Cayman S and decide to use sometimes as a work car, it could be a bit noisy in the cabin on those long motorway journeys.
My reasoning on this is that the Cayman is the boxster with a roof added and the engine is in their with you. Whereas the boxster is separated if only by the hood but you don't get that white noise just over your shoulder.

Oh and BTW don't blame computers and girls for your boys losing interest. You can still have a computer and pull birds in the Cayman. Or did I misinterprate your comment :oops:

Thanks Wilpert
Those are good points, my daily does approx 42k pa 3 series xdrive touring so the Cayman would probably take 6k pa from that total, well that was my thinking.
Hahahaha re the boys, there was a time not so long ago that they wanted to go out with dad for a b-road blast...can't remember the last time they wanted to come..... :sad:

I fully understand your problem especially with work, both miles mounting and perception and thats why I let mine go - but if you are a 911 or nothing man keep it and buy a cheap MX5 - you will win financially in the end. You will have the same issues with any Porsche. I regret mine going but I also had a Healey 100m and the wife wouldn't let me have 2 weekend cars!!!

I also have the Reg MY11GTS if you want it!!

Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Id say do it.

Thanks Wilpert
Those are good points, my daily does approx 42k pa 3 series xdrive touring so the Cayman would probably take 6k pa from that total, well that was my thinking.
Hahahaha re the boys, there was a time not so long ago that they wanted to go out with dad for a b-road blast...can't remember the last time they wanted to come..... :sad:

Well at 6 k per year you will hardly make too big a depreciation dent in the Cayman although they are so useable that you could end up stretching it a bit.

I have the choice of our high mileage rr sport or my nearly new 981 s each morning and I usually take the wrong option and add a few more miles to the boxster. Particularly when the sun is out.

I didn't feel so inclined to do it in my manual Cayman but the 981 PDK boxster s is so much more of a modern car, comfort, sound system etc that it's hard to resist driving it. To me it's like 3 cars in one. A tourer for long runs. A docile town car or a summer soft top. I wish I could restrict the miles to 6k but that doesn't look likely for me.

Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Ecky993 said:
wilpert said:
Id say do it.

Thanks Wilpert

Well at 6 k per year you will hardly make too big a depreciation dent in the Cayman although they are so useable that you could end up stretching it a bit.

I have the choice of our high mileage rr sport or my nearly new 981 s each morning and I usually take the wrong option and add a few more miles to the boxster. Particularly when the sun is out.

I didn't feel so inclined to do it in my manual Cayman but the 981 PDK boxster s is so much more of a modern car, comfort, sound system etc that it's hard to resist driving it. To me it's like 3 cars in one. A tourer for long runs. A docile town car or a summer soft top. I wish I could restrict the miles to 6k but that doesn't look likely for me.

Intrestingly, I've been considering stepping out of my 996tt into a 997GTS for some time. Let me know of your decision, if you could pm me details would be great. Thanks mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back