Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone still track their GT3?

Actually the M3 makes a great road car...it's like going back to our early days where you can drive pretty briskly and realise you are hardly breaking the speed limit :)

But I agree, getting that car ready has also made me appreciate how much the GT3s are already engineered for motorsports use. In the M3 there is so much to be done - cooling system, suspension, seats, brakes, weight, cage, etc, etc

6AKzayIo.jpg

OD0D2TGn.jpg

That looks really good 8)

It's never going to handle like a 911 though... Unless you stick 100+kg of ballast in the boot... :?:

That M3 is far too shiny....its well known in e46 land that the more polish you have the slower it goes... :D

I took mine to Zandvoort last weekend. The last time i was there in my own car was 2012. Four years ago i was a slower track driver than i am today, not that i am any sort of "hand" now but what i mean is i would have been less brave in my then rather new and shiny Porsche. But, the GT3 was in the region of 2.05 per lap. The M3 last week was around 2.07. A well driven gt3 at Zandvoort is probably around 2.04, nxi will tell you what they would do on slicks, 2.01 maybe?

So, i was pleased with my old snotter :) its no GT3, is no 911 for finesse but she is a game old girl and i enjoy trying to get the best out of it.

2:03.9 was my best on Sunday on Cup2's. Around 2:01 on slicks. Your M3 was going well & looked good & planted when I was following you :thumb:

Senoj said:
That M3 is far too shiny....its well known in e46 land that the more polish you have the slower it goes... :D

I took mine to Zandvoort last weekend. The last time i was there in my own car was 2012. Four years ago i was a slower track driver than i am today, not that i am any sort of "hand" now but what i mean is i would have been less brave in my then rather new and shiny Porsche. But, the GT3 was in the region of 2.05 per lap. The M3 last week was around 2.07. A well driven gt3 at Zandvoort is probably around 2.04, nxi will tell you what they would do on slicks, 2.01 maybe?

So, i was pleased with my old snotter :) its no GT3, is no 911 for finesse but she is a game old girl and i enjoy trying to get the best out of it.

Ja - must admit it is far too clean to be a track car at the moment! However I expect to decorate it with some patina on Monday.

I am hoping tje real life time delta is going to be that small so let's see. Are you running a standard exhaust?

LaSource said:
Ja - must admit it is far too clean to be a track car at the moment! However I expect to decorate it with some patina on Monday.

I am hoping tje real life time delta is going to be that small so let's see. Are you running a standard exhaust?

No. It has a single exit, 2 box system. Large bore 3" and no cats. Its a bit fugly but a 25kg weight reduction.

Senoj said:
No. It has a single exit, 2 box system. Large bore 3" and no cats. Its a bit fugly but a 25kg weight reduction.

And it doesn't sound like a bee in a coke can like the standard ones do. :floor:

NXI20 said:
Senoj said:

And it doesn't sound like a bee in a coke can like the standard ones do. :floor:

I'm kind of missing that bee...

incidentally, that distinctive sound seems to made by the cats more than anything.

habanero said:
I'm booked in for a Spa/Ring double header but i doubt the GT3 will pass the noise regs now at Spa :hand:

https://youtu.be/PtFRdwQfjcQ

That's not too loud. Spa has never been a problem for me & I'm too loud for any track in the UK (bar Silverstone) without using additional silencers

I do just a few a year :sad: Very Slowly.... :floor: and a Euro - trip :D :D both of which is where the car is in it's element, had it nearly 3 years now and feels like so much more still to learn.

Senoj said:

Whilst we hijack 911uk for an M3 chat :)
...so at Silverstone last week I was getting 2:35 times in the M3 which I thought was not too bad. Certainly a few years ago that would be beating me in a 996 GT3 - admittedly now the M3 is some 7-9 seconds slower than I can do in a GT4 or a (track focused) 996 GT3.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back