Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Silver Bullet-Resto Project

Gazc2

So after the 964 went and the997TT arrived I was on the look out for something to dabble with over the dark winter nights the 911 boat has long sailed so started looking at the front engine brigade having started my Porsche journey with a 944 many moons ago.

so enter the silver bullet a 1986 924s with 60,000 miles having been in the same lady owners hands since 1989 comes with all original manuals/keys sunroof bag and toolkit all present bodywork is in great condition the bonnet and roof have flaking laquer however no big deal has been sitting for over 8 years and sailed through its MOT

so will write up more later on however away out to wash off some of the patina !

Attachments

• p1020643_811.jpg
    p1020643_811.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 33,462
  • p1020644_138.jpg
    p1020644_138.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 33,462
  • p1020647_819.jpg
    p1020647_819.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 33,462
  • p1020654_169.jpg
    p1020654_169.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 33,462
Yip going to concentrate on the mechanicals then the interior and lastly the bodywork.

so myself and number one son took her for a blast this morning which highlighted a few area`s to stsrt with

Noisy wheel bearing at the front
suspension has more travel than Audreys tongue
short shift kit is a must
Brakes are very good

So got it up in the trolley jack suspension.bushes/discs all look 30 years old so will all be replaced gave the arch a clean all looks tickety boo.

It has the original teledials which never been a fan off and are fitted with heavily treaded goodyear eagle NCT from 2004 !

Now those guys from the 964 crowd will know I have previously mentioned that D90`s are the work of the devil so a bit of back peddling here as I am on the look out for a set to fit to the silver bullet :D (any cheap dusty sets lying in the back of a garage gratefully accepted)

That's a starter for 10
:thumb:

Attachments

• 20160814_165907_resized_580.jpg
    20160814_165907_resized_580.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 33,394
This is great Gaz, I had a 1986 S for my first Porsche and it always put a smile on my face! Has it got power steering? Mine didn't, it was fine on the move but parking I had to lift my arse of the seat to move the wheel!!
Only thing that ever went wrong with it was the ECU died so I'd recommend carrying a spare.

You little tinker :puh:

You know Ian I`m not sure I remember when Aud blew up my 944 the first engine we tried to fit didn't have a take off for the power steering :sad: so we pulled it out and fitted the 2.7 that they sent as a replacement I believe power steering was an option on the S. pretty much the same as your early 944 so we can keep each other right :D

Chris

I had a read through your thread cracking job , a few of your issues struck a chord a heavy vibration at tickover ( goes away once you get some revs on ) so will need to check the engine mounts, nice job on the struts although not sure I have the skills for that although surprised how good the struts look after a blast/coat so may go down that route and fit new inserts.

Oh and Ian its got power steering :thumb:

My 944 has the shakes on cold idle, I improved it by speeding up the revs. I've fitted two new engine mounts but it made no difference 😁.
I've been reliably informed its often a balance belt issue?

Don't know what to set it at Ian the rev counters bust :D

Haha :floor:

Knew you'd go FWD Gaz, some bargains out there!

Looks good in silver and looks like it'll keep you busy too.

Enjoy :thumbs:

Chris

Looks like a great example to work on - looking forward to watching your progress on this one!

You can already see the 944/924 prices creeping up so my advice would be don't hang about if you fancy one. so have started ordering various parts belts.discs filters etc so have decided the plan of attack will be drop front suspension hubs etc replace all bushes with poly blast/paint/powdercoat as required plus new wheel bearings.rebuild the calipers and paint although the brakes are very good as they stand.

Not sure what the best plan is for front shocks looks like you have to do a bit of jiggery to fit new inserts rather than compete as a strut will know better once I get it all whipped out and a new set of springs.

the engine has a couple of oil leaks to address plus belts to do so I have decided to whip the engine out while the front ends off,

don't expect rapid progress as work/travel is in the way the next few moths so about the same pace as captain slow Chief with his 914 :p

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back