Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone ordered a new 718 Cayman?

greenman1 said:
wilpert said:
Hello sweet,

Options wise, I'd want PDK pasm, pse, Bose, extended leather, sport plus with chrono and the pdls lights, which although expensive are really good.
Oh and 20" wheels.

That ought to do it.

OH and a decent discount if you can get one, always with a haggle.

For me I would go manual, also I wouldn't bother with chrono and i think pse is somewhat of a risk unless you have actually heard it on a 718. I would want a DAB radio. Pdls lights depends somewhat on how much night driving you do, after all you do get xenon as standard. Also to me I think the 19" wheels ride better but the 20s do look nice.

I think the OP was now considering an outgoing 981 instead of the 718, so in that case IMHO PSE is well worth it, though yes it still sounds good either way. Agreed re the chrono, especially if it is manual because the sports plus comes alive a lot more in the PDK plus you get launch control (if you dare use it) Agreed re the PDLS but if you do drive around the twisty lanes at night they are really good - I think PDLS is standard on the 718 now anyway? Agreed re the 19" wheels too - my 987 CS had 19" in black and looked pretty good but the 20" s on my 981 with the pasm are really quite smooth - I may even get a set of 19" wheels and tyres for the winter to save my wheels - I reckon it will pay for itself. OH and yes the DAB is really good, so many stations available - Absolute 70's (hood up of course) :dont know:

wilpert said:
greenman1 said:
wilpert said:
Hello sweet,

Options wise, I'd want PDK pasm, pse, Bose, extended leather, sport plus with chrono and the pdls lights, which although expensive are really good.
Oh and 20" wheels.

That ought to do it.

OH and a decent discount if you can get one, always with a haggle.

For me I would go manual, also I wouldn't bother with chrono and i think pse is somewhat of a risk unless you have actually heard it on a 718. I would want a DAB radio. Pdls lights depends somewhat on how much night driving you do, after all you do get xenon as standard. Also to me I think the 19" wheels ride better but the 20s do look nice.

I think the OP was now considering an outgoing 981 instead of the 718, so in that case IMHO PSE is well worth it, though yes it still sounds good either way. Agreed re the chrono, especially if it is manual because the sports plus comes alive a lot more in the PDK plus you get launch control (if you dare use it) Agreed re the PDLS but if you do drive around the twisty lanes at night they are really good - I think PDLS is standard on the 718 now anyway? Agreed re the 19" wheels too - my 987 CS had 19" in black and looked pretty good but the 20" s on my 981 with the pasm are really quite smooth - I may even get a set of 19" wheels and tyres for the winter to save my wheels - I reckon it will pay for itself. OH and yes the DAB is really good, so many stations available - Absolute 70's (hood up of course) :dont know:

Yes the Pse sounds great in the 981, but again may depend a bit if you are buying a daily driver or a 'toy' some people have complained about the PSE being a bit droney on motorway type journeys.

I wonder if the PASM in comfort makes the 20 wheels more complient than the standard suspension? Most tests I have seen they seem to have 20s and PASM and most have commented that comfort mode is great and unless on track is preferable.

I myself am currently trying to decide between a new 718 boxster (non s) or a low mileage 918s, for the 718 I would not be specing many of the performance options (chrono, PSE, Etc) as my top ££ is around 46k and by the time you add what I consider essentials (parking, heated seats, DAB, 19inch wheels, Bose, painted roll bars etc) I am already there. Obviously if I get a 981 I could get a low mileage S and some of the performance options potentially.

You will get a decent specced 981 s with low ish miles if you have a look.
I nearly bought a massive spec boxster s with everything inc ptv, seat cooling the works. 2012 model but only 10k miles and main dealer so 2 years warranty. That was 42k but somebody beat me to it.
I got brand new for 57k with 18k worth of extras so there are deals out there.

The 20s are fine with the psm my missus drove mine and was surprised how smooth it felt, which from her is an endorsement as she is used to our Range Rover.

Agreed the pse is quite loud but I reckon it's more in the Cayman as you are in there with the engine. Mines a daily and if I'm doing a long journey then I'll leave it in normal mode. no point having sports exhaust howling on the m25.
Of course when the roof comes down I like the burble and pop. I know I'm a big kid but that's me.

I nearly bought a massive spec boxster s with everything inc ptv, seat cooling the works. 2012 model but only 10k miles and main dealer so 2 years warranty. That was 42k but somebody beat me to it.

The 20s are fine with the psm my missus drove mine and was surprised how smooth it felt, which from her is an endorsement as she is used to our Range Rover.

Agreed the pse is quite loud but I reckon it's more in the Cayman as you are in there with the engine. Mines a daily and if I'm doing a long journey then I'll leave it in normal mode. no point having sports exhaust howling on the m25.
Of course when the roof comes down I like the burble and pop. I know I'm a big kid but that's me.

Have you driven one yet? Or even a Boxster. The engine sounds gruesome so I'd recommend spending some time with one or a Boxster to see if you can live with it.

Drove a 2.5 Cayman a few weeks back, dynamically it felt very much like the 981, slightly tweaked steering (10% quicker rack and slightly larger diameter steering wheel) and the ride was a bit tighter, still very much a Cayman.

The engine noise was awful though, I don't want to regurgitate what reviews are saying but it is true, its not a familiar Porsche noise. Rev limit is lower, pulls to the red line fine though but the push of the turbo is an odd sensation for a Cayman IMO. The noise of the engine doesn't build like it does in a Flat6, rather it was a constant deep off-beat noise most of the way to the high revs. It left me very cold.

I wouldn't buy one, it didn't invoke any excitement for me.

Seems to be the consensus, which is a damn shame, the cars were getting better every time and now this.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back