Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TPC Racing DSC module ...

DeathStar

... How many chaps on here have one of these modules installed in a 997.1t?

... Especially if they are running on lowering springs (I'm on H&R -20mm currently but just about to swap over to TechArt springs).

Opinions on the module and its effect on the PASM shocks and the way the car drives on the road (not track): great? good? indifferent? bad? terrible?

All opinions greatly welcomed ... TIA :thumb:

Not personally used one but it is on my future modification list. I have spent hours trawling the net trying to get as much info on the TPC racing module as possible and everyone who has one loves it! It will work with lowering spring and on a 997.1 turbo it is just a straight swap plugin for the existing PASM ecu. (Should take all of 5 minutes to swap over!) On 997.1 NA cars and 997.1 GT3 you also need to install a 3-axis accelerometer, (the turbo already has one fitted standard). It just responds faster than the OEM unit and allows for softer or harder settings and greatly reduces body roll/brake dive etc but maintains ride comfort (if not actually improves).

Buy it, if you don't like it I'll buy it off you (at a discount of course :wink: ) You can buy in the UK from Parr motorsport or direct from dscsport in the USA

I've had one fitted for well over a year now.
My car is a 997.1 C4S so I had to also fit a 3G accelerometer which just involves splicing a couple of wires into the main ECU wiring loom. Turbo models already have this fitted as standard as do the gen 2 models.

The difference is quite noticeable on any of the 3 settings.
The range of the suspension travel increases, without compromising cornering or braking in any way.
Setting 1 I rarely use as I find it a bit too soft and wallowing but is useful on very poor roads or farm tracks !
Setting 2 is the norm for me, very much like the normal standard setting but much more compliant ( like having a range of 3 to 8 instead of a 5 to 7 range ) if that makes sense. If you brake really hard from high speed the nose diving attitude of the car is all but eliminated. Less roll on corners and more comfortable on rough roads.......it really hugs the road better.
Setting 3 is the stiffest setting equal to the sport setting of standard, but totally usable on public roads unlike the standard car setup which is totally unusable on public roads.
Once again the range is extended like from 5 to 10 instead of 8 to 10.

This setting I've used on the track and it just seems to get you in and out of corners faster and under more control even if your not a great driver, like me !

My car setup is standard apart from non N rated Michelin Super Sports.
The only downside really is the cost of the unit, but I would buy it again.

At some point I may buy the DSC suspension kit to go with it, again that's a little pricey at about $8000, hard to justify for my use.

All in all a very good and subtle mod and would probably work very well with lowered springs taking some of the bumpiness out of the ride and keeping the wheels firmly in contact with the road.
HTH
Dave

Many thanks for the swift replies chaps! :thumb:

I've been discussing the module with Tom Chan at TPC; the 3-mode module is now obsolete and the updated 2-mode module incorporates the range of the 3-mode module (see the quote from the email I received below from Tom about 10 minutes ago! ... He's referring to Parr's website regarding the out of date marketing info by the way)

"Hi Julian,

We have tested DSC with just about all brands of lowering springs including TechArt. The only negative effect is lowering springs in general reduces usable stroke(travel) of the shocks with is completely unrelated to DSC. This is all the reason why DSC is even more beneficial in this application, to optimize shock damping with 20mm reduced stroke length). In short, DSC works fantastic with lowering springs.

3-mode is obsolete. They haven't updated their marketing info. 2-mode is the current. Each of the current two modes have expanded range to cover the range of the old three modes. 2-mode processes input/output faster and smoother. Also the old 3-mode has blinking LED, that's way annoying! 2-mode is superior in every way.

Regards,
Tom"

@Dave; I totally agree with you about the standard "Sport" PASM mode being largely unusable on the crappy UK roads (way too hard!) - hence why I'm so interested in this module ... :grin:

I have had the module fitted for the past 6 months on my Turbo - standard suspension otherwise.
This is probably the best value suspension / handling mod around at the moment - completely transforms the car.
Handling is much better and generally feels "more secure" and the lack of body movement is very noticeable, as is the improved ride in sport mode - it is altogether less "crash" on bumpy sections.

Note that the new version only has two settings as opposed to the original 3 that compost discusses - also it now works seamlessly with the PASM switch so no continual blinking lights that the original one had.
You still get the same messages as original on the dash so it all looks completely stock - just a much better ride!!
TPC have also released some software now that allows you to custom tune the response of the unit so you can tailor it for different tracks if you wish, however I think that side of things is best left to people who know what they are doing so I have not played with any of that!!.

My opinion for what it's worth - Buy one - you won't regret it!!

Cheers Symoonbeam ... I think from feedback like that (and using my man-maths) that I simply MUST have one (you know how these things go :grin: )

DeathStar said:
Cheers Symoonbeam ... I think from feedback like that (and using my man-maths) that I simply MUST have one (you know how these things go :grin: )
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ive been looking that these myself this last few months as I really dont like how bouncy the stock 997.1 turbo suspension is. Its really quite shocking.

I emailed Parr about 8 weeks ago for pricing, but had no reply yet wihch isnt good. I was hoping they could do a competitive price as when I priced it up, shipping one over from TPC in the US was going to cost over £800 assuming you dont get hit by customs.

Of course, Brexit happened since then and exchange rates have changed so I think your looking at well over a grand now which seems a lot.

I gave up on Parr and bought it directly from Tom at TPC (5 minutes ago :lol: )

Looking forward to getting this bad boy plugged in!

:thumb:

@rabbitstew - PM me if you want further details ... :whistle:

Shame you didnt see my used one already in the UK for sale and open to offers. Its possible to have the 3 way version firmware updated to 2 way but I think the 3 way is superior. The reality is that TPC have only done a reasonable job on mode 2 with mode 1 and 3 being plain wrong. I have mapped all 3 modes over the last 6 months and its a leap ahead of what they have achieved all on a 2wd gts.

Not convinced on the processor speed comment as the damper is the limited element according to TPC

Of course the stock TPC map could be loaded.

I have mode 1 set up for mild understeer so comfort and wet
mode 2 is an improved version of TPC mode 2 for dry and very similar just better high speed response and neutrality.
mode 3 is for smooth roads and when ambient temp is over high twenties to compensate for heat soak.

rabbitstew said:
Ive been looking that these myself this last few months as I really dont like how bouncy the stock 997.1 turbo suspension is. Its really quite shocking.

I emailed Parr about 8 weeks ago for pricing, but had no reply yet wihch isnt good. I was hoping they could do a competitive price as when I priced it up, shipping one over from TPC in the US was going to cost over £800 assuming you dont get hit by customs.

Of course, Brexit happened since then and exchange rates have changed so I think your looking at well over a grand now which seems a lot.

PARR will be nearer £1200.

copmots said:
I've had one fitted for well over a year now.
My car is a 997.1 C4S so I had to also fit a 3G accelerometer which just involves splicing a couple of wires into the main ECU wiring loom. Turbo models already have this fitted as standard as do the gen 2 models.

The difference is quite noticeable on any of the 3 settings.
The range of the suspension travel increases, without compromising cornering or braking in any way.
Setting 1 I rarely use as I find it a bit too soft and wallowing but is useful on very poor roads or farm tracks !
Setting 2 is the norm for me, very much like the normal standard setting but much more compliant ( like having a range of 3 to 8 instead of a 5 to 7 range ) if that makes sense. If you brake really hard from high speed the nose diving attitude of the car is all but eliminated. Less roll on corners and more comfortable on rough roads.......it really hugs the road better.
Setting 3 is the stiffest setting equal to the sport setting of standard, but totally usable on public roads unlike the standard car setup which is totally unusable on public roads.
Once again the range is extended like from 5 to 10 instead of 8 to 10.

This setting I've used on the track and it just seems to get you in and out of corners faster and under more control even if your not a great driver, like me !

My car setup is standard apart from non N rated Michelin Super Sports.
The only downside really is the cost of the unit, but I would buy it again.

At some point I may buy the DSC suspension kit to go with it, again that's a little pricey at about $8000, hard to justify for my use.

All in all a very good and subtle mod and would probably work very well with lowered springs taking some of the bumpiness out of the ride and keeping the wheels firmly in contact with the road.
HTH
Dave

If you want to try my mapping your welcome. Your mode 1 will be transformed from the wallow into a useable mode. 2 and 3 will be more subtle changes but you can pick and mix.

legin said:
rabbitstew said:

PARR will be nearer £1200.

Thats what I suspected.

legin said:
Shame you didnt see my used one already in the UK for sale and open to offers. Its possible to have the 3 way version firmware updated to 2 way but I think the 3 way is superior. The reality is that TPC have only done a reasonable job on mode 2 with mode 1 and 3 being plain wrong. I have mapped all 3 modes over the last 6 months and its a leap ahead of what they have achieved all on a 2wd gts.

Not convinced on the processor speed comment as the damper is the limited element according to TPC

Of course the stock TPC map could be loaded.

I have mode 1 set up for mild understeer so comfort and wet
mode 2 is an improved version of TPC mode 2 for dry and very similar just better high speed response and neutrality.
mode 3 is for smooth roads and when ambient temp is over high twenties to compensate for heat soak.

Hi Legin - I did see your used DSC module was for sale but as it was up for a grand I thought I may as well purchase a new one.

I can't comment on whether the new 2-mode version is better or worse than the previous 3-mode module as I haven't tried either ... but it would seem strange for TPC to switch to an inferior h/w build if the previous 3-mode module was the better device ...?

Anyway; the deal is done and the new 2-mode module is being shipped to me as we speak ... I'll get it installed and write up my thoughts and observations once I've given it a good evaluation period

:thumb:

No problem. Guess i was over on the price so now £700 and dropping!. The three mode was only dropped because folk didnt like the flashing light (didnt bother me at all) and the dash graphic.

Thing is mode 1 is so useless that folk see only two modes. Anyway try yours and if you find one of the modes rubbish then try mine but your running 911 turbo so maybe my mapping is too far away.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back