Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Some detailing fun I had recently..

CarreraMonkey

OK, so it's not a Porsche, so I hope the mods leave it on anyway, as I know a few of you are becoming detailing perverts. :lol:

A few weeks ago I went down to the Le Mans classic with a pal in his MK3 GT40 replica. He'd bought it after the previous Le Mans classic where we were totally in awe of the real GT40's. It's a bit of a shed, but, it's got a 5 litre Ford Windsor block in it and is as scarey and horrible to ride in as the real thing! 8)

Its been sat in his workshop for a long time and was looking like a barn find! My job was to get it ready for Le mans. So at 09:00 on teh saturday morning I reversed it out of the unit and into the sunshine to view the task in hand. It was filthy!!

IMAG1499_zpst8abzx8c.jpg

IMAG1500_zpslijsmmhd.jpg

IMAG1501_zpsybgruerd.jpg

IMAG1502_zpsujuaxww4.jpg

So the first job was a thorough snow foam and a long time for it to dwell.

IMAG1504_zps69ikbw9y.jpg

And after a gentle rinse it already looked better.

IMAG1505_zpsjnxo0a1k.jpg

Next job was to wash the wheels. I gave each one a blast with neat APC, a good tickle with the detailing brush, a rinse and then a coat of Trix. Here you can see what happens to Trix when its left for a while, the iron that is removing starts to cause purple streaks

IMAG1506_zpsr2emud8l.jpg

Next up was to wash the car. Just did it with the standard 2 bucket / 2 mops process (with grit guards in the bottom of the buckets. I used double the quantity of shampoo as I wasn't sure how much crap was still on the paint and I wanted greater lubrication when washing.

IMAG1507_zpsgfgodtfb.jpg

Then i patted the car dry, before giving the entire body a coat of trix and gently working it into the paint with a very soft MF cloth. You can see how it clings to the paint in the picture below.

IMAG1508_zpsaiscjvh8.jpg

It needed a really good rinse and I actually washed the car again to ensure it was clean!

IMAG1509_zpsipax9hys.jpg

By now the true state of the paint was visible. It was pretty shagged! Being Fibreglass it had chips and stars etc. I wasn't interested in doing any paint correction - for this car, the paint damage represents patina. :)

Back inside the unit I gave the paint a going over with the clay mitt and quick detailer, so it was perfectly clean now and actually looking a little better than I was expecting.

IMAG1510_zps75yhkycw.jpg

Which was further improved after the car was treated with a coat of Blackfire Gloss enhancing polish.

IMAG1511_zpscigbwjjq.jpg

The next activity for the day was to apply a coat of Blackfire AFPP for the final layer of protection.

IMAG1512_zpsyzphl70r.jpg

IMAG1513_zps8vfckvmu.jpg

And then a set of race decals to finish off the session!! 8)

IMAG1514_zpsqvwgbe5w.jpg

My son was rather impressed by the finished job!!

IMAG1517_zpsvuiik30v.jpg

And so began an insane adventure that saw us with a pretty broken car about 30 minutes after the above picture was taken... but that's another story for another day... :puh:

That made a huge difference to the way it looked , rather nice and the sweet sound of that Windsor block very similar to the Cleveland block they were both used in the MACH1 Mustangs :thumb:

Wow, looks really cool .

No, don't have any decent video footage. Need to get some.

Just this short clip of an early test run..

And you want to know about the rest of the trip? It really was a battle against the odds , for most of the weekend!

I need my laptop to tell that story, a phone just won't do...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back