Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Multifunction steeringwheel retrofit on 987.1?

volks_womble

Trainee
OK, so I know I have had the car less than a week, but I need to sort out the Stereo - currently running the CDR24 unit.

As part of that I am wondering how easy it would be to retro fit an appropriate steering wheel with stereo/phone controls on?

Are the connections in the car loom already to allow the wheel to connect? Does the car need any coding to enable the controls to work - assuming they are on the CANBUS? Are there any significant Airbag issues to be aware of when swapping the wheel over?

Help/suggestions/offers of appropriate wheels much appreciated. ;)

Cheers
Mark

volks_womble said:
OK, so I know I have had the car less than a week, but I need to sort out the Stereo - currently running the CDR24 unit.

As part of that I am wondering how easy it would be to retro fit an appropriate steering wheel with stereo/phone controls on?

Are the connections in the car loom already to allow the wheel to connect? Does the car need any coding to enable the controls to work - assuming they are on the CANBUS? Are there any significant Airbag issues to be aware of when swapping the wheel over?

Help/suggestions/offers of appropriate wheels much appreciated. ;)

Cheers
Mark

Mark there are a number of threads on here recently about fitting aftermarket double din head units , mine in an Alpine unit that way you get blue tooth phone ,spotify , better nav ,better amplified sound,Ipod connect etc.
It can all be run through multifunction on the wheel you just need to fit an appropriate wheel with MF and then get the OPC to turn on the multifunction option using PIWIS, depends if your running fibre cable as if you are you will need a MOST optical interface, there are a number of different ones to choose if you need it.
Also if the budget allows while upgrading your wheel to MF worth upgrading to a gen 2 wheel but after you factor in cost of wheel airbag and newer steering module your into £800/900. see the pic of my alpine and steering wheel although I have not gone with MF yet but do have the part in the garage to do it . :thumb: :grin:

Attachments

• img_0354_209.jpg
    img_0354_209.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,505
Thanks Phil :) I plan to have a good nosey at you install tomorrow night if that possible.

Had my head deep into the various Double DIN HU threads weighing up the options, to work out which way to go.

I really like the idea of the Dynavin unit, but don't like the lack of rotary volume control, or the round buttons. I could probably live with the button shape if I can sort a better volume control - hence looking at retrofitting a multifunction wheel.

I have to admit, I am very tempted with the Zenec unit though. I cant find anyone who has actually fitted one though...

Anyway, back on-topic, there don't seem to be very many multifunction wheels about without the tiptronic or PDK controls too, which I don't need..

I am happy to stay with the Gen1 wheel though, and keeping my existing airbag, just to keep the cost down. My wheel is shaped inside at the top, so I assume I have the sports wheel rather than the standard?

Cheers
Mark

volks_womble said:
Thanks Phil :) I plan to have a good nosey at you install tomorrow night if that possible.

Had my head deep into the various Double DIN HU threads weighing up the options, to work out which way to go.

I really like the idea of the Dynavin unit, but don't like the lack of rotary volume control, or the round buttons. I could probably live with the button shape if I can sort a better volume control - hence looking at retrofitting a multifunction wheel.

I have to admit, I am very tempted with the Zenec unit though. I cant find anyone who has actually fitted one though...

Anyway, back on-topic, there don't seem to be very many multifunction wheels about without the tiptronic or PDK controls too, which I don't need..

I am happy to stay with the Gen1 wheel though, and keeping my existing airbag, just to keep the cost down. My wheel is shaped inside at the top, so I assume I have the sports wheel rather than the standard?

Cheers
Mark

Mark , your welcome to have a nosey mate , I agree the zenec looks better than the dynavin but your right hard to find guys that have fitted it , and I am not sure why. :?: if you have the round gen1 airban not the triangle one then you have the gen1 sports wheel. finding mom tip/pdk wheels is harder as the reason most are changed is to upgrade the rocker/paddles . see you tomorrow evening :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
I agree the zenec looks better than the dynavin but your right hard to find guys that have fitted it , and I am not sure why. :?

I would imagine the price has something to do with it... the Dynavin lists a £799 on the UK site (and I know there are cheaper ways to do it...) whereas the cheapest I have seen the Zenec for is £960 - one site was offering it at around £1500!! :?

volks_womble said:
Phil 997 said:
I agree the zenec looks better than the dynavin but your right hard to find guys that have fitted it , and I am not sure why. :?

I would imagine the price has something to do with it... the Dynavin lists a £799 on the UK site (and I know there are cheaper ways to do it...) whereas the cheapest I have seen the Zenec for is £960 - one site was offering it at around £1500!! :?

Yes I bet your right as I couldn't find it cheaper than high 900s either. I suppose your then into good alpine and pioneer etc which may have even better functions. or you can fit a haft decent unit for £300/400 with mirroring for your iphone etc. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
if you have the round gen1 airbag not the triangle one then you have the gen1 sports wheel. finding non tip/pdk wheels is harder as the reason most are changed is to upgrade the rocker/paddles . see you tomorrow evening :thumb: :grin:

Yep, round Airbag - Is that a straight swap into a 997 wheel? I could always pickup a tip/pdk wheel and not use the rocker switches... Seems a bit wrong tho on a manual car...

Mark

volks_womble said:
Phil 997 said:
if you have the round gen1 airbag not the triangle one then you have the gen1 sports wheel. finding non tip/pdk wheels is harder as the reason most are changed is to upgrade the rocker/paddles . see you tomorrow evening :thumb: :grin:

Yep, round Airbag - Is that a straight swap into a 997 wheel? I could always pickup a tip/pdk wheel and not use the rocker switches... Seems a bit wrong tho on a manual car...

Mark
Mark yes the 987.1 and 997.1 share wheels and many other bits lol.
So a round sports gen 1 wheel with MR would straight swap. there was a thread a couple of weeks ago in either the 997 or 996 sub forums where a guy was fitting a tip wheel to a man car and getting the tip buttons to do his volume up,down and track change on the other one. cant remember the outcome though. :thumb:

Also a point to remember the gen1 round sports wheel airbag will not fit the gen 2 round airbag wheels.

Mark ,the other thing to try is to post in the for sale and wanted section that you are looking for a 997.1/987.1 round sports manual steering wheel with MF , you don't need an airbag.

Did they make a round gen.1 multifunction wheel? I thought it was just the triangle one.

isysman said:
Did they make a round gen.1 multifunction wheel? I thought it was just the triangle one.

Yes mate is was a bit thicker and round airbag , but still had the gen1 tip toggle switches like the triangle one , it was called the sport wheel. I have one in my garage lol :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
there was a thread a couple of weeks ago in either the 997 or 996 sub forums where a guy was fitting a tip wheel to a man car and getting the tip buttons to do his volume up,down and track change on the other one. cant remember the outcome though. :thumb:

Struggling to find anything like that thread... don't suppose you remember the title, or the OP do you?

volks_womble said:
Phil 997 said:
there was a thread a couple of weeks ago in either the 997 or 996 sub forums where a guy was fitting a tip wheel to a man car and getting the tip buttons to do his volume up,down and track change on the other one. cant remember the outcome though. :thumb:

Struggling to find anything like that thread... don't suppose you remember the title, or the OP do you?

No Sorry mate just scrolled through to see if anything caught my attention but it must have been in a thread that drifted onto the subject.
I suggest a post that asks who's done it ,and I am sure whoever it was will let you know, you may also get some other useful advise around the subject.

I found this .. but to be honest its confuseing me .. and i do this for a living lol ...

http://p-car.com/diy/steeringradio/

You would need a wireing diagram for steering column cu , then exchange tips wireing for relevent muli function controls and code would be my guess .. complicated but would seem possible .

Fitting a multi wheel would seem easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back