Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ragpickers Leggy 986 S.. first real problem: page 9

Cheers guys!

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed learning a new skill, and to see it actually looking half decent is even more pleasing!

That patch on the passenger wing is actually a reflection from the van next to it, although there are one or two bits I'm not happy with, fortunately none of them are on that wing>

I might do the wing mirrors metropol blue to match the new hood when it arrives, just for practice. I could always change them back if I don't like it....

Great work. It is always more satisfying doing it yourself.

That first photo actually looks like silicone spots, which often occurs when there is still some contamination on the surface. It is not too bad in your case though. A good tip for putting on the first coat of colour is to go a little bit dryer, that way you have less chance of whatever is under neath reacting. Particularly when you have rubbed through an existing paint layer new wet paint can bleed under the edge and "fry up" the paint (which I did a couple of times on my parcel shelf).

Great job though, particularly for your first time. The more you practice the better you will get :thumbs:

Jin - yes it did, thanks very much!

Jeff - yeah its great fun DIYing! I sanded those spots down, re-primered and then started dusting the colour on. The Gunman on youtube recommends dusting metallic colours so the flake stands up more. Looking at it in the sun today it is very bright and metallicky haha.

I'm on the lookout for a good clear coat gun now. Yours seemed to put a lot of clear down nice and wet, what are you using?

My gun is a cheap copy of an Iwata gun. I used a lot of different guns over the years, and I found the Iwata guns the nicest to use (at least in my opinion).
I have found the "Star" brand good, but the one I have at the moment is "KC Tools". Often it is about the settings, and also having a compressor that can keep the pressure up to the level you need.

Wow, Rags, Lost for words mate....

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Even I thought you had gone too far when you said you were looking to do your own paint work with no experience. But that looks superb and as a first attempt you can only improve. Keep up the good work mate :thumb:

:floor:

Cheers guys! I must admit to feeling really pleased with the result. I took it down to my local Indy to see, they said they'd seen worse jobs from bodyshops and had to look very closely to see any defects (like I said, there are one or two) but these will be polished out once the lacquer has properly hardened.

The really pleasing thing is that you can't tell that the front has been painted - by that I mean the colour match is brilliant! I was worried that i would do the front and it stand out like a sore thumb as being a slightly different shade. Fortunately that's not happened!

Pretty much with any metallics, you can't just spray one panel to get it to match perfectly. Generally you will need to blend into the panels either side of the new paint to get it right. So in your case the way to get the best result would be to blend the bonnet into the top of the guards either side. That said, it really depends on the level of finish you are after. I think you have already done a great job so depends on how far you want to go with it.

Brief update...

The old boxster has been behaving itself over the past few months. She gets used every day and has just ticked over 137500 miles.

I noticed a few weeks ago that when changing lanes the rear end would feel a bit wander some. I had a look and thought the nearside rear wheel bearing was shot because I could feel play in the wheel when wobbling it from side to side. I could also hear a noise when doing it which didn't sound wheel 'bearingy' so I took it to my friend (the Indy). He showed me that if a wheel bearing has gone the wheel will have play when waggled top and bottom, not just side to side. It turns out the ball joint in the rear control arm was shot rather than the bearing which was great news!

So first job today was replacing the old with the new rear control arm:
30220530425_cd7cb21b78_o.jpg

30135178801_1a3e58763e_o.jpg

Then I set about replacing the inner CV boot on the offside rear driveshaft. I've been putting this job off for ages as it involves removing the transmission slam panel, the cat and sensor and the driveshaft from the gearbox.

29590662764_21cb35240c_o.jpg

Once you remove the panel and cat you then unbolt the driveshaft bolts from the transmission - held on by 6 hex bolts. Then remove.
29924340490_f9de3cb691_o.jpg

Once this is done you pry off the metal dust cover from the end of the driveshaft, remove the circlip keeping the CV joint on the driveshaft and the cv joint slides off.
30135181451_f2713137d1_o.jpg

Then remove the old cv boot and clean the driveshaft
29591070763_7a24a35b85_o.jpg

The next bit is the hardest bit of the job - reassemble the boot and joint. Then pack it with CV grease and try to secure the boot to the CV joint with the funny clip it comes with. Needless to say I couldn't get it tight enough so had to resort to a good old fashioned jubilee clip. What a horrible greasy, sticky job!

Whilst I was in there I remembered I'd bought some decat pipes ages ago so flung them on whilst I was at it.
30220530125_05df746a1b_o.jpg

29590662154_4168db38ea_o.jpg

I then went to the front and put a couple of jubilee clips on the steering rack pipes which were starting to weep.

And to finish off I put on some 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers on for good measure.

I did take more pics but for some reason I can't upload most of them - sorry!

PS: what a difference the decat makes! The exhaust sounds absolutely epic but still isn't droney or intrusive when cruising. I think the steel manifolds, gundo-hack and decat must be the best sounding 986 exhaust set up. Not noticed any loss of power low down either but a noticeable increase at the top end. :D

ragpicker i have to get paid to do this .. you do it for fun !!!!

Impressive as always :)

CV boots are very unpleasent , only job i ever wear the latex gloves for .. hate them normally , cable tie if you cant get the clamps on .. they are a dam pain to fit , jubilee clip is a little large .

No cat = no MOT as im sure your aware , emmissions etc but i guess youll refit the cats for that .

I had thought you had finished with the work on your Boxster .. good to see its still ongoing ( i enjoy this post ) but not for the wallet i guess lol .

Demort said:
No cat = no MOT as im sure your aware , emmissions etc but i guess youll refit the cats for that.

Either that or find a more realistic garage for MOTs. I'm sure your turbo is catless rags so you probably have a plan already in place. My local MOT place lost my business on all our vans and my cars last year after failing my van on emissions after I told them it had no CAT before booking it in. The did however quote for a new exhaust lol.

I know they are just doing their job and you can not expect them to risk anything, this I do not have a problem with. Taking my money and wasting my time when I told them before booking it in and on arrival that it had no cat is what wound me up! Rant over

Rags another good update mate! I am however a little concerned your turbo may be being neglected.

Great progress rp. :thumb:

Which car are you taking =>> here next year :?:

Cheers fellas!

Demrot- cable ties eh? It had one on the first time by the guys who replaced the boot last which failed, hence me needing to re-do it. I didn't think to try it again... I hope the jubo clip hold out though because i really don't fancy doing it again!

Work finished on the boxster?? Not at all...

In fact, when I put the spacers on I realised I'd only been given 9 instead of 10 long bolts, so i had a look around for an old wheel bolt and used that. When I set off on my test spin i heard a really loud 'thud, thud, thud, thud' from the rear nearside hub. :duh: I'd only put a bolt in which was too long and it was catching on the handbrake mechanism!

Anyway, i removed it but now have a metallic rolling sound inside the hub when i spin the wheel by hand, so I think i've knocked off one of the retaining springs. I've ordered new springs and new rear discs and pads - well if i am removing the disc to repair the handbrake then I may as well put new ones on!

Tom - yeah, I have an *ahem* understanding MOT chap who is very realistic about these matters! I'm sure old Demrot knows this but likes to keep everyone right :grin:

The turbo is getting a little bit neglected, i took a friend out for a spin the other day after he'd brought his new 987 Cayman over for an inspection on the ramp. He was trying to hold onto the dashboard and all sorts! Made me chuckle for days.... I'm also supposed to be sending some logs and stuff over to Rick @ unicorn for some tuneage but never seem to have the time at the moment. Whats going on with your build?

It doesn't help that golf is now swallowing a lot of my spare time...

Terry - I will be taking the turbo on this pilgrimage... Once I've squared it with the relevant people. I need several 'ok's' before I can book the Tryp, but I hope to do so before xmas!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back