Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lowering 997

This photo shows the rear wheel 'tuck' -20mm springs, extra negative camber and no spacers. Have ordered 15mm spacers as recommended by H&R but it may need 20mm ones? I'll see what it looks like with 15mm spacers on first though, as I do like the wheels to be a little inside the body and not flush with the arches.

100_3558.jpg

basildon993 said:
This photo shows the rear wheel 'tuck' -20mm springs, extra negative camber and no spacers. Have ordered 15mm spacers as recommended by H&R but it may need 20mm ones? I'll see what it looks like with 15mm spacers on first though, as I do like the wheels to be a little inside the body and not flush with the arches.

100_3558.jpg

I have the H&R springs too - plus I have 20mm R and 15mm F spacers; this set-up makes the wheels flush with the arches (my preferred 'stance') so it may not be your cup-o'-tea! But I'll try and get a photo or two up later today so you can see what it looks like :thumb:

A few less-than-mediocre pics taken on my phone-cam (photography is self-evidently NOT my bag!) - but they should give you an idea of 15mm F and 20mm R spacing on standard 997.1t wheels:

Attachments

• 56abfa60_2ef5_441d_a783_189dec2dc4fc_2_849.jpg
    56abfa60_2ef5_441d_a783_189dec2dc4fc_2_849.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 9,569
  • ad782a56_4a18_4b2d_931a_28bc16891827_3_884.jpg
    ad782a56_4a18_4b2d_931a_28bc16891827_3_884.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 9,569
  • 3b6eca4f_cf8a_485e_8be1_5d8db6ab6374_2_138.jpg
    3b6eca4f_cf8a_485e_8be1_5d8db6ab6374_2_138.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 9,569
  • 444f19b1_bf97_4537_9acc_80930f0b812b_2_163.jpg
    444f19b1_bf97_4537_9acc_80930f0b812b_2_163.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 9,569
Has anyone heard of or used AMD Tuning in Thurrock, they are doing pretty good deals on lowering springs.

DeathStar said:
A few less-than-mediocre pics taken on my phone-cam (photography is self-evidently NOT my bag!) - but they should give you an idea of 15mm F and 20mm R spacing on standard 997.1t wheels:

nice deathstar, good height and stance :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
nigel99 said:
I have been looking into this too and have found the H&R Springs online for £250 which seems a good deal.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=75334

Questions I have, for the C2S it shows that these will lower by 30mm. Is this too much considering that I have 15mm spacers added all round?

Also, is this difficult\risky to fit myself?

Nigel mate my feelings are that 30mm might take an "S" right up into the wheel arch as they start lower than a non "S". Its important as Boba says to get it just right, and it might be a false economy to do that , and it would pay to spend a bit more and get a set that drop 20mm as that will close the arch gap without making the car look slammed. :thumb: :grin:

I have been looking into this and contacted a H&R supplier to enquire about the 20mm springs. Thus was there response:

"H&R only do 2 kits for the 997 Carrera S, this one which lowers the car by 15mm and the other that lowers it by 30mm (29188-1). The 15mm kit works best with the stock shock absorbers to provide a better handling car with a minimal reduction in ride comfort, whereas the 30mm drop will be better for lowered looks but would mean pushing the standard shocks to their limit. Depends what avenue you would like to go down with your car, if it is more for show looks or for fast road handling."

It appears that the 20mm from H&R are for the Turbo and 4S only. Would the 15mm make a noticeable difference to the look as thats primarily what I'm aiming for?

nigel99 said:
Phil 997 said:
nigel99 said:
I have been looking into this too and have found the H&R Springs online for £250 which seems a good deal.

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=75334

Questions I have, for the C2S it shows that these will lower by 30mm. Is this too much considering that I have 15mm spacers added all round?

Also, is this difficult\risky to fit myself?

Nigel mate my feelings are that 30mm might take an "S" right up into the wheel arch as they start lower than a non "S". Its important as Boba says to get it just right, and it might be a false economy to do that , and it would pay to spend a bit more and get a set that drop 20mm as that will close the arch gap without making the car look slammed. :thumb: :grin:

I have been looking into this and contacted a H&R supplier to enquire about the 20mm springs. Thus was there response:

"H&R only do 2 kits for the 997 Carrera S, this one which lowers the car by 15mm and the other that lowers it by 30mm (29188-1). The 15mm kit works best with the stock shock absorbers to provide a better handling car with a minimal reduction in ride comfort, whereas the 30mm drop will be better for lowered looks but would mean pushing the standard shocks to their limit. Depends what avenue you would like to go down with your car, if it is more for show looks or for fast road handling."

It appears that the 20mm from H&R are for the Turbo and 4S only. Would the 15mm make a noticeable difference to the look as thats primarily what I'm aiming for?

Hi Nigel, Aha now that explains a few things as when I lowered mine, H&R were not 20mm drop and I was puzzled but what others had said , but your comments explain it all, which is why I went with techart which were 20mm an the NB cars and IMO just where you want to be and worth the extra few quid to get the ride height right.
If your interested in Techart I have included some info they sent me .

Thank you for contacting TECHART in this matter and your interest in TECHART spring kit.

097200100009 Spring Kit for 997, 997 S, with OE- / PASM-chassis
consisting of:
- 4x sport springs
(20mm drop, 15mm with PASM)
- mounting instruction
- TàœV certification

I have forwarded your email request to TECH 9, TECHART importer located in Liverpool.

They will get in contact with you and assist you.

Attachment: TECHART program

Best Regards,

Joerg Christiansen
Regional Sales Manager
North America and Great Britain

and the contact info for Tech9 the UK Techart distributor

Tech 9 Motorsport Ltd
Hale Garage
Hale Road
Liverpool
L24 5RB
United Kingdom

Tel :- +44 (0) 151 4255 911
Fax:- +44 (0) 151 4254 911

I will PM you what I paid for them in 2014

:thumb: :grin:

Yep, 20mm drop springs are for the Turbo and 4S which I believe already ride 10mm lower from the factory than the other cars. Hence the -20mm springs would give the same effect as the -30mm springs on the NB cars. I hope that makes sense! :?:

Ok, well I just had some clarification from TechArt who offer a 20mm spring set for 997 and 997S.

If the springs are fitted to a car without PASM then the drop will be 20mm but if the car has PASM (standard with S models?) then the drop will only be 15mm.

What I don't know is if there will always be a difference of 5mm between the S and non S cars. E.g. Will a 15mm spacer only drop by 10mm on a car with PASM.

nigel99 said:
Ok, well I just had some clarification from TechArt who offer a 20mm spring set for 997 and 997S.

If the springs are fitted to a car without PASM then the drop will be 20mm but if the car has PASM (standard with S models?) then the drop will only be 15mm.

What I don't know is if there will always be a difference of 5mm between the S and non S cars. E.g. Will a 15mm spacer only drop by 10mm on a car with PASM.

Aha so the fact the S is 10mm lower than the non S is due to the S having PASM as standard and some non S cars would be lower but only if speced with PASM . So does that mean the H&R 30mm ones only drop 25mm with PASM or the Eibach which drop 25mm with PASM would that be 20mm
there must be those that have done this with H&R or Eibach on the forum. It will be interesting to see what others say.

Update.

Having purchased a set of H&R 15mm lowering springs (for a good price on Fleabay) it turns out that the 15mm springs are only for cars that have the "Sports Suspension" factory option.

Therefore the only H&R springs available for 997.2 S (with PASM) is the 30mm spring, which will lower by the full 30mm.

I think that the ride may be to harsh with 30mm so the 20mm techArt springs is probably the way to go (although will only lower by 15mm on a car with PASM). The TechArt springs are also more expensive than H&R.

The fitting looks like a bit or a mare too so I have looked into prices for getting these fitted with the current one being £680 (including alignment which is needed after fitting).

This mod is looking like over a grand to complete so back to the drawing board now while I weigh up the options.

Duplicate post.

nigel99 said:
Update.

Having purchased a set of H&R 15mm lowering springs (for a good price on Fleabay) it turns out that the 15mm springs are only for cars that have the "Sports Suspension" factory option.

Therefore the only H&R springs available for 997.2 S (with PASM) is the 30mm spring, which will lower by the full 30mm.

I think that the ride may be to harsh with 30mm so the 20mm techArt springs is probably the way to go (although will only lower by 15mm on a car with PASM). The TechArt springs are also more expensive than H&R.

The fitting looks like a bit or a mare too so I have looked into prices for getting these fitted with the current one being £680 (including alignment which is needed after fitting).

This mod is looking like over a grand to complete so back to the drawing board now while I weigh up the options.

Thread revival! So did you do this after all?

So just to summarise H&R might be to low?

Techart is just about right however slightly more difficult to source compared too....

Eibachs which are almost the same, in terms of drop, as the techarts except for a slightly different spring rate (assumed)

Judging from pictures. The eibachs still sit a bit too high on the rears.

Where as the Techarts sit perfect both front and rear.

My thinking is, the Techarts as they sit higher than the H&Rs will allow for better damper travel and therefore bettert ride quality. Also you will be able to load up the car better in corners with the weight transfer which in turn would improve handling as well as looks.

The second option right now is Ohlins, but as this is my first 911 I would like to see what PASM is all about.

Any recommendations on where to buy techarts?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back