Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A quick G50 question

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but easy way to tell which kind of 'box you have:

915 reverse is far bottom right
G50 reverse is far top left

Attachments

• 250869075431_ml_153.jpg
    250869075431_ml_153.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14,328
  • 108849211729_ml_177.jpg
    108849211729_ml_177.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14,328
CarreraMonkey said:
Speaking to a friend, he was telling me that every 915 box he's had (3 or 4) crunched going into 1st whilst moving. Is it a common problem?

I'm marginally concerned by the whole 915 thing as engine and box out so that the box can be rebuilt is inevitably costly. Or do most just live with a crunchy first?

I'm not buying the car to scream around in, I've got my regular car for that, so am wondering if I'm fussing over nothing?

they don't have a crunchy first, you put your clutch in, and select gear, they work perfectly, its all hype and bollocks about them being dodgy.

You just have to have your clutch. adjusted correctly and keep foot to floor until you have changed, ***** easy.

A crunchy first gear is a result of ham fisted previous owners.:roll:

I really enjoyed that box in my SC and liked the mechanical feel and the way that you had physically drive lever across the gate.

kas750 said:
IMI A said:
Cars built from September 1986 onward received the more user-friendly G50 gearbox. Personally I'd buy the best condition Carrera out there for your budget and not worry about whether its a G50 or a 915. More important to avoid rust bucket, gearbox rebuild and or engine rebuild :thumbs:
Spot on. A good 915 is absolutely fine.Condition is EVERYTHING!

Very sound advice. I have just bought a very early 3.2 Sport with the 915 box. Once you've mastered it there should never be a problem. Actually really like mine as it adds to the driving experience. Mine also has a Wevo Quick Shift kit which I think makes it more positive.

Palladium said:
CarreraMonkey said:
Speaking to a friend, he was telling me that every 915 box he's had (3 or 4) crunched going into 1st whilst moving. Is it a common problem?

I'm marginally concerned by the whole 915 thing as engine and box out so that the box can be rebuilt is inevitably costly. Or do most just live with a crunchy first?

I'm not buying the car to scream around in, I've got my regular car for that, so am wondering if I'm fussing over nothing?

they don't have a crunchy first, you put your clutch in, and select gear, they work perfectly, its all hype and bollocks about them being dodgy.

You just have to have your clutch. adjusted correctly and keep foot to floor until you have changed, ***** easy.

I love answers like this. Basically 'just get on with it!' Which is the sort of thing I used to say to nervous prospective VW air cooled owners.

So that's what I'm going to do.

Lemonsville, here I come!

Palladium said:
CarreraMonkey said:

I love answers like this. Basically 'just get on with it!' Which is the sort of thing I used to say to nervous prospective VW air cooled owners.

So that's what I'm going to do.

Lemonsville, here I come!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back