Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My air con stopped working

Stokepotter

Montreal
Hi guys, had my 2012 Cayman about six weeks ago and shortly after having it I put it through it's second Service and at the same time took advantage and had the air con re gassed, not because it needed it but due to the fact the servicing garage had an offer on at the time.
Anyway, I've enjoyed icy cold a/c since then until yesterday when it just wasn't cold at all, on more investigation it seems the compresser is not kicking in. There had been no deterioration in temp prior to this.
Any ideas what the issue could be? Does this suggest a leak in the system meaning the now, low level is preventing the compresser from kicking in?
I am going back the garage on Tuesday for investigation but wondered if anybody had had a similar scenario or could shed any light on this?
Thanks

There's a few things it could be:

1. Leak in the system and pressure now too low to engage the pressure switch.
2. Faulty pressure switch.
3. Faulty electro magnetic clutch on compressor.
4. Not enough gas put in on the re-gas and too close to the limit on the pressure switch.
5. Blown fuse (check this first).

Seems a bit fishy that it worked ok, you had it re-gassed, now it doesn't work
:dont know:

Cheers Alex, yeah it's a puzzle for sure, now I've just gone to check the fuse and found a bit of conflicting info, the little booklet inside the fuse door mentions air con condenser fuse but then in brackets says 997 Turbo only, think if memory serves me right it lists it as row D fuse F8 I think but don't quote me, having a quick Google it states same row but fuse F5 I think. Either way, have checked both these and are OK.
Can anyone confirm which fuse it is for a 2012 base Cayman?

A leak is the normal problem .

Compressor is a little different on 2009 onwards .. its on all the time not an on off switch ( PWM signal ) and the compressor nut can shear if overloaded , this is normally due to a seized pump or a belt fault .. get them to check your belt tensioner whilst in the garage .. well known to seize on 997 gen 2 and starting to see it on Boxsters / Caymans now.

You have various temp sensors in the car .. a faulty sensor will stop the system from working .. if a sensor says its -2 in the car for example the a/c wont work.

Dont know off hand the fuses but ive never has a fuse fault on any a/c system .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back