Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Issue - Trucked Away

Small update.

Raj the mechanic didn't end up driving it up as he was able to replicate the issue when they got the car up to running temperature on the lift. He said on deceleration he could hear it sounded like it was not firing on all cylinders.

He said it could be the injectors... but as I mentioned to him I'd had it remapped he said it could be (outside chance) that the data on the chip has been corrupted. He asked me if I had a flat battery recently.

So that morning I changed the battery as the old one had died.... possibly a massive coincidence.

They want to rule that out and try it with a new map before they start investigating the injectors.

I sent a text off to Wayne and he called me back within the hour!!! That's impressive... and he was super helpful suggesting things it might be... as he has never seen a map get corrupted.

He's going to give the mechanics a call to trouble shoot what it might be and possibly mail down a factory map for the mechanics to rule that out.

to be continued....

Wayne gets a lot of stick for being difficult to contact (because he's so busy/good) - good to hear he's there if any problems though I doubt it's the chip as I had that same conversation when I had mine done...said he'd never had one corrupt.

Yep, I was very impressed when I got a call back so quickly. He was joking with me saying some people say he's harder to get hold of than Obama.

BTW he's secured his own space now and is in the process of setting it up to move out from 9M.

Happy Days as I need my 3.2 doing!....fed up being overtaken by Citroen Deux Chevaux!

No substantial news yet.

I spoke to Raj @ 911SBD on Monday.

Wayne called Raj and talked him through all things he would check and Raj had checked all those... So that was reassuring. Although it would have been nice to have found something simple.

So Wayne is going to mail down a factory map for Raj to see if that fixed the problem and would point to a corrupted map and then easy fix (which I'm hoping for)

If they have the same problem with a factory map in the ECU then the investigation continues into the injectors...

I'm anticipating a call later this week or early next week from Raj.

I hope they come back with some positive news after keeping you on tender hooks this long.

Yes eagerly awaiting. Although I'm in Newquay on holidays this week and mobile reception has been spotty so they may have missed me.

I'll try them Friday if I've not heard.

:?: Any news?

:?: Any news?

No update yet. Wayne sent down a factory map and they were supposed to test it today. I just called them and Raj has left for the day. Til Monday then.

They did say no engine damage.

Spoke to Raj (911SBD) today... here's the skinny so far.

Raj received the factory map from Wayne in the post and they tested the car up to running temp but it was still spluttering so they have ruled out a corrupted chip (For those who don't know who I'm referring to when mentioning Wayne: Wayne Schofield of Chip Wizards 07874 328306 - if you want your 993 mapped he's a legend at his craft and also great after sales service too as this proves)

So they then tested each injector individually using a Bosch hammer diagnostic tool to switch off an injector at a time and then run the car. They have been able to narrow it down to cylinder #5 through a process of elimination. When they switched off the other injectors individually they noticed a distinct degradation in the smoothness, and when the switched that injector back on the engine returned to the prior state. However for cylinder 5 the did not observe a change, implying that cylinder 5 was already running poorly or not working at all.

They said the spark plugs were all good and the distributor leads were also in OK condition. They replaced the distributor cap so they are narrowing it down to the injectors or worst case scenario a damaged cylinder.

So next step is to take out all the injectors and send them to Bosch to have them tested and cleaned... It's about 5 hours work to take them all out and then Bosch charged about £25 each to test them and about £5 to clean them. I think he said a sonic clean... that's got to be good. :dont know:

All that is happening this week and next. They expect to give me some more news around the end of next week.

I also have a spare set of distributor leads sitting in the garage that I purchased when they were on sale so I'll probably courier them over to change them at the same time... (a whilst your in there job I guess)

So fingers crossed it's just a dodgy injector.

Just thinking I'll call them tomorrow to make sure they also checked the DME relay... I did replace it with a new one a few years back but I guess it could be that too... I'm guessing they probably already checked that.

I'll update again when I have more info.

Why not just replace injector 5 for a new one?

Good point Dom!!!

I was actually thinking that as I was typing too :roll:

When I call them tomorrow I'll see why they are suggesting all injectors...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back