Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First track day with Cup tyres. What temps ?

Bigfra

As title lads. I am on track tomorrow with my new (second hand) cup tyres and I wondered what is the best temperature to run them at cold and when hot.

Not sure you mean Temperature....you mean Pressure...
If so and assuming you start off with them at standard COLD pressure settings, you need to go out and do three or four reasonably paced laps.
When you come in, immediately check your pressures, they should have gone up quite a lot.
You need to let them down back to the standard cold pressures or maybe 1 or 2 psi/bar above.....that should put you in the right ball park.
As you get quicker, later in the morning, you may want to re check and lower again.
Don't forget to pump them up before you go home, or you will get premature tyre wear on the edges...especially if you are travelling far or forget completely.
Been there done that :thumb:

There are a few variables needed to answer that - which car, which generation of Cups and does it have a standard road geo or is it set for the track?

If it is stock, aim to bleed to the recommended cold pressures when they are hot and vary it from there. If it is rolling over the shoulders you will need to run them higher to protect the tyres though.

If you have extra camber on it then you ought to be okay to go lower but do not lean on them with less than 29lbs (2 bar) in them. Ideally Cup 2s ought to be something like 33f/35r as a minimum to protect the carcass though there are people running below that with the right setup. The earlier Cup was fine down as low as 29f/32r on the right geo in my experience as long as you have the camber to keep it off the shoulders.

God, sorry I did mean pressure :frustrated: :grin:

Car is 2007 GT3, standard geo

Just try and keep them at std cold pressures. 29 front/33 rear, if the back gets slidy drop the rears a bit.

When you've done a lap it's a good shout to come in and take them down 2 or
3 psi...if it's a hot day and the track temperature is hot, and if the surface is
particularly abrasive I'd even go lower.
Oh yeah, when you have breaks, just bear in mind it'll take half a lap or more
to get them back up to optimum temperature....

Have fun !

Ps, overheating them will just cause you to understeer all over the shop, and
and the rear end will get awful 'squirrelly' ...lol :thumb:

nick w said:
When you've done a lap it's a good shout to come in and take them down 2 or
3 psi...if it's a hot day and the track temperature is hot, and if the surface is
particularly abrasive I'd even go lower.
Oh yeah, when you have breaks, just bear in mind it'll take half a lap or more
to get them back up to optimum temperature....

Have fun !

Ps, overheating them will just cause you to understeer all over the shop, and
and the rear end will get awful 'squirrelly' ...lol :thumb:

Found exactly that happening. 29 front and 33 rear was perfect. Thanks for all the advice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back