Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 C2 Restoration

Looking very smart now M :thumb:

The cups look great.

Cheers,
Paul

madge said:
I like a few subtle mods and all of your list sounds good to me.

Cup mirrors - much prettier than the 'elephant ears'.
Lower suspension - a little bit lower will make a big difference to the look of the car (although 'fully slammed' looks a bit "Max Power" for my tastes).
Fan - a freshly painted and glossy fan always looks nice. Very much personal choice on colour. Original silver or red seem to be popular.
Red calipers - I'm a sucker for these (and red seat belts), in fact I think mine will get done before long.

None of these would be too difficult or expensive for someone to reverse if they wanted to but as you have said it's a keeper anyway I say get it just how you want it and enjoy it without worrying about some imaginary future buyer. :thumb:

Thanks for yours and the other replies :thumb:

I think I may begin to compile a shopping list!
As you say, it's not as if the mods mentioned aren't reversible.....
But then we all admire a 'Plan-B' .... Don't we?! Great work Paul. :worship:

I must just mention that my other half says that she thinks it's a thing of beauty and likes its 'retro' qualities but as a passenger reckons it's like being thrown around in a biplane!!!

Here's another photo of when I picked it up.... again taken by The Body Centre in Norwich who did the work. I can't wait to get my camera out and take some shots myself - if it stops raining.

Cheers guys
Mike

Attachments

• img_7816_1_151.jpg
    img_7816_1_151.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 11,030
Hi Mike and welcome,

I'm just having a read through your thread, good to see another build and in the fastest colour too :grin:

You'll get plenty of good advice and encouragement on here.

Regards
Steve

Mr Bacchus said:
Hi Mike and welcome,

I'm just having a read through your thread, good to see another build and in the fastest colour too :grin:

You'll get plenty of good advice and encouragement on here.

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve!
Thank you for your warm welcome. What a good bunch of guys there are on here. I've just read your thread with great interest.... Subscribed!👍
You still going to go the Fuch route with your wheels? I think they'll look amazing... Hands up I just went for the normal choice of Cup 1's without looking at alternatives first but I'm really pleased with how they look.

Cheers
Mike

Got the engine bay tidy bar from [email protected] great service and it only took a few days to arrive!
Thanks for the tip guys.... Much better now :thumb:
Still needs lots of elbow grease to get the whole area looking better, time to steal her cotton buds eh?
But the fan!!! Also it looks like the housing has a slightly distorted top too.

Attachments

• image_261.jpeg
    image_261.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 10,896
  • image_829.jpeg
    image_829.jpeg
    712.6 KB · Views: 10,896
Hi Mike,

Onwards and upwards! The fan housing is meant to be like that, probably to clear the engine lid, although someone will put me right if I've got that wrong.

Cheers,
Paul

M said:
Hi Steve!
You still going to go the Fuch route with your wheels? I think they'll look amazing... Hands up I just went for the normal choice of Cup 1's without looking at alternatives first but I'm really pleased with how they look.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Still planning to go for Fuchs but I'm about a year behind where I wanted to be so for now I'm going to have the D90s refurbished whilst I concentrate on the suspension. I am one of the few in the world who actually really like the D90s :oops:

Keep up the good work

Steve

paul284pt said:
Hi Mike,

Onwards and upwards! The fan housing is meant to be like that, probably to clear the engine lid, although someone will put me right if I've got that wrong.

Cheers,
Paul

Haha!
Yep.... Since I posted I looked at lots of others and it seems they're all like that, and I thought I had a bad one!! What a plonker...
:splat:

Cheers
M

Mr Bacchus said:
M said:
Hi Steve!

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Still planning to go for Fuchs but I'm about a year behind where I wanted to be so for now I'm going to have the D90s refurbished whilst I concentrate on the suspension. I am one of the few in the world who actually really like the D90s :oops:

Keep up the good work

Steve

Hi Steve
Apparently D90's are really light in weight. I'll be watching your thread with interest.
:)

I didn't say but whilst the car was stripped out I had some work done to the seats, the drivers bolster had seen better days and some of the piping was split so that was replaced.
Once the paint was done I asked the the body shop to give the interior a little tidy, so they got their man in, nice guy... A real character, always insists on working in daylight outside so he can 'colour match'.
When I arrived to see how things were progressing he had a heat gun out and was getting some marks and scuffs out of some of the vinyl trim. The photo below is of him airbrushing the door pocket trim where I believe he had filled a nick with some kind of resin! I'd never seen that kind of work before.

Tell me if this is boring stuff though please!
I have loads of photos but didn't realise this forum existed until I picked the car up, so apologies for the strange order that I've posted.

Be gentle please I'm new!

M

Attachments

• image_241.jpeg
    image_241.jpeg
    695 KB · Views: 6,719
Hi

The bodyshop, I used for my glass out restore & repaint have uploaded a YouTube video, from strip out to the finished result.
Take a look:

I'm so chuffed! :D

Hi M,

I have just taken a look to check on your progress, you have been busy! :thumbs:

Enjoyed the video very much, nicely put together and superb bodywork & paint job by Bodyshop Norwich.

You must be delighted you car looks fantastic. Another beautiful 964 saved for future generations, hopefully I'll get to see it in the flesh sometime soon :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

Lovely car M in a classic colour.

Seen you mentioned Fuchs further up. There are a set in the classifieds. 18" though. 9e are selling them. Absolutely no connection to me, I've never been there, just thought it worth mentioning. :thumb:

Welcome aboard chum :thumb: Another 'penultimate air-cooled' car saved.
:grin:

The video is great and details the level of work well. Looking forward to the updates and pics so weave a good reference how these cars can be brought back to life :worship:

You lucky boy!
Great car and a lovely little video to confirm the vehicles provenance when you pass it on to the offspring :thumb:

Hi Guys

paul284pt , Marky911, Zingari, Scholester - Thanks for your kind words!

So... thought it about time I posted a couple of photos.

Yep, now repainted and looking so much better but a couple of little niggles to sort.
Then....
- Paint fan & housing, get to work on making the rest of the engine bay look pretty!
- Renew a few rusty screws and little caps & bits.
- Speaker grills a little bit tired looking so they'll be re-blacked.
- Frunk carpet tidy up where the odd press stud its missing / pulled through.
- Rear indicator light is a little crazed but I know what that means, replace that one and the other will look awful and when that's done too the centre reflector will look a bit dull!
- Cup mirror time, don't like the flags but I'll keep them (originals) safely tucked away.

Then it's all done (Nope), Mr Bilstein or was it Mr Ohlins asked me if the car is on stilts?!

I've read the term "Slippery slope" several times on this forum :lol:

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 5d3_8134_164.jpg
    5d3_8134_164.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 6,346
  • 5d3_8139sm_104.jpg
    5d3_8139sm_104.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 6,346

New Threads

Forum statistics