Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What lift?

Roro

Toying with the idea of getting a lift for the garage. Posted in this forum as I would need one for the GT3 which is of course lower than a Carrera, and I'm not sure what types of lift are on the market

Anyone got any pointers or recommendations on best type of lift for a home garage? My garage apex is 3m high, eaves start at 2.5m

Not sure I'd use a lift that often, but one of those things, if cost isn't that high then worth considering as the times I do use it for changing wheels, swapping splitters, oil change etc might make it worth it

:dont know:

:thumbs:

I can recommend an Automotech scissors lift.

Attachments

• lift_168.jpg
    lift_168.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 5,093
I can recommend an Automotech scissors lift.

Had mine a few years now & it must have paid for itself over & over.

For a lower vehicle, you will likely need a set of race ramps:
http://raceramp.co.uk/

The ones I bought were the 4" Rack ramps as they were the shortest.
Give plenty of clearance for the pork.

The only issue is if the car is left sitting on the ramps for more than a few days, the tyres will begin to leave an impression in them.

Attachments

• lift_130.jpg
    lift_130.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 5,083
Mine is a eurotek MRS3. One of the cheap options but have to say I have been so impressed by it. Feels absolutely solid and very well made. I have had to fabricate some ramps to get the car on and off easily. If your roof pitches front to back you may get a low profile 2 poster in. Otherwise if you have plenty of width a 4 poster could work well. So long as the run on lamps are long enough.
Of course depending on how much energy you have you could get something flushed in to the floor 8)

Not the best pics of mine. I have just taken from my 'project garage' thread which I started when kitting out my garage at the start of the year.

Just to add - and contrary to what was posted above - you will need more space (width) to install a 2-post lift than is the case with a 4-post. Additionally, with a 2-poster, you need to be pretty sure about the strength of your floor (search YouTube for gratuitous videos of 2-post lift collapses...) whereas a 4-poster presents a much easier load to the floor!

Whatever route you decide on, you'll be amazed to discover how many friends you didn't know you had, just as soon as you get a lift installed.

James

Thanks for all the responses chaps, very informative :thumb:

Funnily enough the floor issue concerns me, as the floor in the garage is a slab of 6" concrete on 4" type 1. It looks like the rolling parts would exert a lot of pressure on a very small footprint. The 4 post might be over kill for my needs :?:

I'd say a 2 post would not work then. The scissor lift style like mine actually spread the weight over a large area as they have plates running front to back. Or as you say 4 post....

Ok thanks. I think I was getting muddled. So a 2 post wouldn't work for me but then a scissor like the blue one above would. And a 4 post would definitely be overkill for me I reckon... Will have a look at the automotech :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back