Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel Brush

Ursa911

£37 on a wheel brush is more than I care to spend. I guess if I get a good cleaner / degreaser that's half the job done already rather than scrub the day lights off the lacquer with a rough brush right? Sure a microfibre brush with no metal skeleton is the better option?

I agree.

Jack the car up, take the wheel off and that beats any brush for back of the wheels ;-) done it at the weekend.

I have a microfibre glove for the rims, but they do really need to come off for a proper clean. I think the best plan is to run an extra set of rims (winter, track etc.) so you have a good reason to take the rims off and get them cleaned and re-sealed.

Buy the microfibre hand mit with the loose bobbles on, I use two, orange colour for wheels and blue for bodywork. Depends what wheels you're running on, turbo2, 5 spoke classics and Carrera 4's you'll be fine with a mit.

Multiple spoke sport design and such like buy the widest bristles possible. Otherwise you'll be there all day with elk action like you're trying to blow them up with a bike pump from PoundLand for kids bikes. The other thing to check for is make sure the bristle brush you buy doesn't flex and bend easily especially where it attaches into the handle or you'll keep bending it back straight because of the hand pressure you apply to clean the wheel.

Cheap isn't always the best option even for something simple like a wheel brush. :thumb:

I have both a lambswool and a microfibre mitt for Turbo Hollow Spoke wheels. Even then, the challenge is getting that part of the rim cleaned between the caliper and the inside rim if rolling the car wheel back or forwards is not an option to get at that bit.

cheshire911 said:
I have both a lambswool and a microfibre mitt for Turbo Hollow Spoke wheels. Even then, the challenge is getting that part of the rim cleaned between the caliper and the inside rim if rolling the car wheel back or forwards is not an option to get at that bit.

This is my problem, i also have turbo twist wheels. Currently i use a microfibre hand mitt which gets rotten after the first wheel or the Karcher wheel attachment that come with the pressure washer often mixing it up a bit to see what works best. Was thinking something soft rather than abrasive and wiry yet allows me to get around the openings and by the caliper but perhaps i should just remove the wheels every forth wash and do the insides too.

Ursa911 said:
cheshire911 said:

This is my problem, i also have turbo twist wheels. Currently i use a microfibre hand mitt which gets rotten after the first wheel or the Karcher wheel attachment that come with the pressure washer often mixing it up a bit to see what works best. Was thinking something soft rather than abrasive and wiry yet allows me to get around the openings and by the caliper but perhaps i should just remove the wheels every forth wash and do the insides too.

If it's the back of the spokes you are trying to clean, a normal cheap sponge can be pushed in there or if it's to tight a gap between calliper and rim a used micro fibre can be pushed in the gap and worked by finger tips.........both are inexpensive and can be thrown away when to dirty..........I rotate microfibre cloths from polishing to wheels to rags as they deteriorate. To be honest continually removing wheels will become a chore and put you off doing the job which results in dirty hard to clean rims. :thumb:

steve baker said:
Ursa911 said:
cheshire911 said:

If it's the back of the spokes you are trying to clean, a normal cheap sponge can be pushed in there or if it's to tight a gap between calliper and rim a used micro fibre can be pushed in the gap and worked by finger tips.........both are inexpensive and can be thrown away when to dirty..........I rotate microfibre cloths from polishing to wheels to rags as they deteriorate. To be honest continually removing wheels will become a chore and put you off doing the job which results in dirty hard to clean rims. :thumb:

Arh well if you've got Turbo 18" twist spokes (5 blades) they're a doddle to clean with a mitten and you can easily get your hand in and clean the rim inside and grip the spokes at the rear face and give them a rub down plus the brake disk hubs. Roll the car 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to get where the brake calipers are a bit tight to get your hand in between. The rears have a little more clearance. A good brush will get into and around the calipers. Then as you've thought already take the wheels off a few times a year to give them a deep clean and apply a few wax coats to protect them. Especially around and inside the air valve port as Turbo twists are prone for bubbling there where the water collects. :thumb:

I often pop into the local Poundland or B&M store for cheap microfibre cloths and the like, great for general cleaning and cheap enough to use a couple of times and chuck away. I found a load of cheap brushes that are great for cleaning wheels and arches etc!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back