Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car back from bodyshop... What would you do next?

isysman said:
Wax doesn't protect against stone chips. I want to keep it looking as good as as it does right now. As I read on s other thread, someone just back from a Euro trip and his car is peppered with stone chips. Some say they just get it repainted every couple of years but it means driving around with lots of chips for that time. I'd rather have it looking great the entire time and just replace the film when required.

Tell me about it, painted last year and one trip around the NC 500 and the chips on the front PU, door mirrors and arches are not sitting well with my OCD! Should have got film applied at the start of the summer but only went with the OE application..........not happy.

neil allan said:
I would just go with a good quality wax rather than a nano sealant, most decent waxes will last between 4-6 months anyway.

I cant mind what one did you get from Stevie at BMD was it Sirius or Cosmos ?
Sirius will give a nice wet look
Cosmos will give loads of extra flake pop.

Stevie at BMD advised me to have the Sirius dark edition and I love the way it looks on dark colours. +1 for wax

NinjaPower said:
NXI20 said:
isysman said:
Only problem is to put the clear film the paint needs to be left for 3-6 months to harden.

3-6 months? Really? Someone better tell Porsche Reading they're doing Xpel film all wrong then; they are routinely applying it to brand new cars!

I've just had it applied to the front of my GT2 2 weeks after paint without any problems.

Did your bodyshop not have an oven? :floor:

You can laugh all you want, but paint takes at least 2 months to harden fully as the solvents take a long time to dry out. This is why some darker paint finishes go a bit flat looking weeks after being finished and polished up. The solvents dry out of them and cause the surface to go flat.

And yes. My bodyshop has a top spec oven.

You could apply film to the paint literally 5 minutes after it came out of the oven if you wanted, but I certainly wouldn't do it to my own car.

As for dealerships applying film, what makes you think they have the first clue about applying films or other paint protection? I work with dealerships all the time and all they care about is selling as many additional items as possible on new cars: Paint protection, 'ceramic coatings', Williams paint treatment, interior fabric protection... They are not particularly interested in how to do it properly.

It is fine on new cars because they are baked, hot, in an oven to fully cure the paint.. this is when it is just a bodyshell so there is no worry about melting plastics etc. A body shop might bake the car too but nowhere near as hot as the manufacturer would do. So you should leave the paint at least a couple of months without doing anything other than washing it!

By the time I get home my paintwork will be ready for my PPF so it will go in after I get the roof panel sorted.

Hi

Mind me asking where you got it done I am looking to get some work done on my car and am looking for recommendations

Many thanks
Gary

Gary996 said:
Hi

Mind me asking where you got it done I am looking to get some work done on my car and am looking for recommendations

Many thanks
Gary

Who are you asking?

Sorry I need to get some paintwork done on my car it need the front PU Painted the paint has cracked due to someone reversed into my car bumper in a car park also I would want the Bonnet and the front wings done as the Bonnet has several stone chips

I need to get some quotes but would rather go with a recommendation even if it is a little further away from where I live

Many thanks

Gary

Mine was done by So:Nu in Skinner St, stockton on tees.

Little update - I covered half the car in Gtechniq C1 and then Exo, and the other half in the BMD cosmos wax. After 400 miles last week the car was covered in filth. A quick snow foam and rinse and the half covered with the Exo looked like new, the half covered with the wax looked great, but not as great as the Gtechniq half.

Next time I do a paint correction I'll be doing the whole car in the Exo stuff, its absolutely class! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back