Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evo Review today on MSN - can the 718 be that bad!

Depends on what you look for in a car and what the intended use is. All subjective of course, but for me this 718 and all the latest generation of forced induction Porsches, is not what I want in my pride and joy. For others I'm sure this car will answer all their prayers.
I'm no beard but just don't appreciate the loss of the F6 power delivery, all the electronic gimmickry, sound and various other systems in the latest cars.

Not sure I like the sound too much either, sort of metallic.

I wonder how it feels when your ar$e is in the seat :?:

I dont think the extrerior looks radically different from the 981 just a bit trimmed up, sort of sharpened around the edges.
I know they say nearly all panels have changed but it's not like the changes from the 987 to 981 IMHO.

Pretty poor review for EVO IMO, the guys main complaint seems to be the relationship between the Pdk and the engine, so you would think he would have kept it in manual so see how that helped but he does not appear to have done that at all. Also it's a point not even mentioned by any of the other reviews I have seen (obviously the noise is mentioned by everyone).

He seems to be trying to drive in exactly the same way as the 981, but clearly a turbo has completely different torque curves. Having driven turbo cars most of my life I quite like the typical Turbo surge at 2000-2500 revs.

--------------------

Understand your sentiments but if you pay 1800 quid for a PDK shift then surely you expect it to work well.

PDK is seamless in the 987 and 981 so why not in the 718 or is this another potential foible with this model.

I think the 718 looks great but if it's got an Audi TT type engine it can't be a 60k motor can it?

wilpert said:
Understand your sentiments but if you pay 1800 quid for a PDK shift then surely you expect it to work well.

PDK is seamless in the 987 and 981 so why not in the 718 or is this another potential foible with this model.

Fair enough if you want the Pdk, but I would be after the manual and as such this review tells me nothing. He could quite easily have driven in manual mode to at least fairly evaluate the engine.

Looks good, sounds sh!t

greenman1 said:
wilpert said:

Fair enough if you want the Pdk, but I would be after the manual and as such this review tells me nothing. He could quite easily have driven in manual mode to at least fairly evaluate the engine.

I get you but shouldnt a car with pdk as an option, work well in pdk mode?
i think there are a few demos in manual out there at least in boxster mode, which you could try, i wonder what the ratio of pdk to manual will be sold :?:

Seriously!!! If you didn't know it was meant to sound like that you'd walk away & keep your money in your pocket, thinking it needed a replacement engine.

Can't believe Porsche spend ££££££'s on R&D and finally sign this off as what they believe is the pinnacle of sound and performance. When I hear a Maserati or Aston Martin they sound gorgeous. The 718 sounds embarrassing to start up and drive in public, certainly wouldn't drive with the roof down.

Porsche had the opportunity to give it a deep sound through exhaust design & failed miserably. Sales will be interesting with the price being commanded by the dealers RRP.

I think EVO articulated it perfectly. And whatever you've heard in videos, it sounds worse in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back