Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Difference's, X74 -30mm suspension and standard ride height

Chris_in_the_UK said:
When I started to try and sort this, one other issue I had was getting a short enough 'turnbuckle' to connect the track rod end to the rose joint McG Motorsport only have a 165mm as their shortest one and I seem to remember that adding this to the rod length and rose joint plus a couple of half nuts was too long. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but it was frustrating to the point I bought the motorsport parts.

I'm going to get Alex to machine up the exact size LH/RH rods I need to sit between the track arm and rose joint so in theory it should all work out fine.

What misalignment spacers did you buy from McG to fill the gap, I'm just looking at them online but I'm 140 miles away from the car/garage to be able measure the current bush? The M14 ones say they are 11.1mm wide, were two on each rose joint enough?

Hi Chris, I ended up using the 14mm to 12mm reducer in each side of the joint from McGill. The bolt at the chassis end is m12 so it needs a sleeve. This does not leave a huge amount of room so I used 2 m12 stainless washers - one on each side. When it's all tightened up it works a treat.

IMG_2065_zpszxn0yy9u.jpg

I was looking at those, I wondered why you didn't use them... but you did. I had them in my basket already but just thought I'd ask the question just in case I was missing something.

Button pressed and they are on their way to me.

Everything has arrived and the relevant bits will be sent to Alex so he can measure up and machine up the adjuster arms for me.

The centre to centre length is 367mm of the original toe arm.

This then makes the distance between the internal LH and RH threads 170mm. I need the threaded bar making up to 155mm to allow for some adjustment both ways and with a centre square piece to get a spanner onto for adjusting.

The standard bush width is 43mm

But when I put my rose joint parts together they made up to 47mm

So I ground the spacer washers by about 1.5 - 2mm to make around 43mm again.

I'm not sure when I will get the rods back from Alex but will update once they arrive.

Well done for taking the time to detail this , might be worth him making up some spares as sure they would sell :thumbs:

I talked to McGill a and they don't offer that adjuster .

I received the turnbuckles that Alex made for me and I'll admit these are better than anything I've seen online so far. They are steel so I've cleaned them up and coated them with clear lacquer to prolong their good looks.

I've set the arms to factory lengths to start with and I'll let them adjust them up to what extra they need. I look forward to fitting them and seeing how the rear end adjustment goes and if they make much difference.

Those rose joint rubber boots are a b!tch to fit!!

infrasilver said:
I received the turnbuckles that Alex made for me and I'll admit these are better than anything I've seen online so far.

:thumbs:

Thank you kind sir.

infrasilver said:
Also, as per my original question, I'm still unsure how the standard factory X74 kit get it's geometry if it uses normal toe arms, does any one actually know how they do set up X74 without adjustable toe arms?

PET lists 2 rear toe arms but it's unclear why - the firmest has a note saying '99Ws6 00422' for one of them.

Could simply be a longer arm?

with the rubber boots put them in hot water first and then put the rose joint in through one of the side holes makes it a lot easier.

Do you know if Alex is going to make more turnbuckles as i would buy a set ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back