Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

My/our other car is a rangie, Range Rover sport v8 hat body kit and all the bits. V8 engine too which is powerful. I get the choice of which car to take out in the mornings as they are both at my office, my missus works with me so we bring both cars. I nearly always end up taking the Porsche even though it would make commercial sense to use the rangie. It has 109k on the clock so more miles won't hurt it.

Excellent family bus though and a comfortable drive.

They certainly have their foibles, mine had new turbos, air suspension pump, handbrake actuator, plus other bits but all under the previous owner.

I'd love a really sported up one like the urban sport but can't justify the financial loss if I don't use it enough.

Not sure if the new ones are deemed more reliable than the early models - they have to be....don't they

I have always loved my Range Rovers and found them a comfortable place to sit and wait for the break down truck... as you do if you run them.

Good luck with the repairs I hope your local dealer is a good one, most seem totally unable to rebuild these 405 models without lots of subsequent issues and faults.

Mmmm we shall see. They dropped off a top spec sport with only 800 miles on the clock which I'm happy with. Interesting to compare to the full fat. You feel instantly at home as there are lots of similarities in the interior and controls but it only feels 75% as "solid" as the full fat version. Seems like a great car in its own right but does feel like a downward step. Surprisingly does not feel as good to drive in terms of performance which probably is a combination of how adaptable the full fat suspension is and how I've become used to the greater mass of the car, feels like the full fat has a lot more use able torque to power out of bends. It can be very rewarding getting that mass to work for you.

So as I reflect I fear the 993 is destined to remain in the garage as I've c1,000 miles to cover this week and it will give me a great chance to get to know the sport better.

Estimate repair time 10 to 14 days :roll:

Hey, that's not great news

Considering the volume of RR's on the road they must be doing something right

However when I went to the main dealer to buy the odd bit there was always a customer in there having rant about his new car

I bought an old one as a project car and spent 1OK fixing it up. eventually gave up as endless problems

A nice young fella bought in on eBay from me for just over 2K, emailed me a month or so later looking for 1300 quid for repairs, I felt bad but I did everything I could to put it right prior to selling, he didn't pursue me

Great car when it worked and without doubt the most comfortable car I've ever had

I bet you'll get to like the sport

The sad thing is it's a £100k+ car :nooo:

Maybe leaving it in sport mode for 9k miles was not a good idea :grin:

Makes the 993 classics bargains to run with minimal relative maintenance risks given their increasing values, one thing that never, ever crosses my mind with one is the engine going pop, 40 years of engine development and true race heritage saw to that :thumb:

..................And to think I was looking to buy one :what: Although I always did value my chum's opinion who despite managing to drive his from London to Manchester decided to fly back and get his driver to 'rescue' it from the airport car park. Having siad that I think reliability is better in the new model than teh old ones that were atrocious :nooo:

I don't know, you can't get less reliable than a blown engine :eek:

I had a great petrolhead day yesturday over at the reliable Silverstone Classic weekend.

I had decided when booking not to stay over this year so made the trip and back on Saturday.

I was the 993's longest run in 2 years (since the last time I went to this) and I did more miles in one day than I've done in the 2 years since, c320 mile round trip :grin:

As always the car was faultless and welcomed the opportunity for some cruising at ##### speeds. The weather played its part and was perfect for driving especially in the morning as it was relatively crisp before the sun had chance to warm the air and was great for a little nit of extra induction power :thumb: The empty roads reminded me what the varioram felt like especially opening up at 5k revs in 4th gear through 110mph plus oooooohhhhh (of course I took a detour on a private road)

The event has grown bigger and bigger yet again and this year seemed to have quite a few changes to car club layouts. The porsche section(s) in particular where especially spread out covering I think 5 seperate parking zones. I actually felt this was a shame as it lots its feel of a marque event. I was effectively parked in a tarmac car park full of porsches, all mixed together (zone 4) and to be honest spend almost zero time walking around "the car park" and looking at Porsches.

On the plus side I was right next to the national paddock which runs the morning races so decided pretty early on to spend the day watching the racing for a change.

Lunchtime I met up with one of my best mates who was there with the BMW club and we spent the afternoon at the international paddock talking to drivers and then watching them race. The old F1 cars are just spectacular. A major bonus was for my mate who owns an engineering company. He makes parts for ITG filters but never knew what they where for until he saw them on the 1970 F1 cars being run....

He makes these aluminium support stands for the ITG filter foam

and one in action leaving the pit lane for the race...

ps Open pit lane events are awesome, we watch them leave with the mechanics in the pit garage....

Always nice to see some historic 993 race cars in action...

and getting my first view of the 991 R on the Porsche display stand..

A great day and I even got sunburn 8)

Motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste

Yep I can't say it either :grin:

It is basically a none Standard part fitted to the sound deadening material in the engine bay to make it look a lot tidier.

Of course I had to have a carbon one :roll:

Bought from this guy in Germany...

http://www.kunststofftechnik-buehler.de/

it comes supplied with OEM fitment clips 999.049.011.40 so that it can be fitted in a none intrusive way.....

mmmmm real carbon, not plastic with a film on :hand:

I'll get this fitted over the weekend :thumb:

Edited to show fitted pics...

Its a 5 min job the main level of difficulty is actually getting your fingers in to remove and replace the attachment caps

Old and saggy with heat :nooo:

Here you can see one of the 5 retaining "caps". You just have to use your fingers tips to wiggle it side to side whilst trying to pull away. Some are pretty easy to get at some very tight if you have chunky fingers

An original cap removed on the right and a replacement cap provided which is smaller. The replacement is threaded and has to be screwed onto the lugs ie not just pushed on like the original. This is harder to do with the access restrictions....

And the finished job, remember this part is not original and has been custom designed / made to hide the saggy insulation. Just as Porsche should have made it :thumb:

ps its also available in standard plastic

It's a shame how you lost interest in the 993.

The 993 is getting a sister, SWMBO new school run car (I may play with it at weekends).

Order placed today with confirmed Feb 2017 build slot / March 2017 delivery....

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PHA2G179

Base price Macan GTS
95BAS1 £ 55,188.00
Price for Equipment £ 9,330.00
Total Price* £ 64,518.00

Exterior Colour Carrara White Metallic
2Y £ 608.00
Interior Colour Black leather package with partial leather seats VF £ 0.00

Exterior
ParkAssist (front and rear) with Surround View 8A4 £ 834.00
Panoramic roof system 3FU £ 1,092.00
Privacy glass VW1 £ 320.00
Roof rails painted in black 3S5 £ 219.00
Sideblades painted in exterior colour 6H1 £ 0.00
SportDesign exterior mirrors Exclusive 6FB £ 315.00

Transmission / Chassis
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) G1D £ 0.00
Power steering Plus 1N3 £ 179.00
Sport Chrono Package QR5 £ 729.00
75-litre fuel tank 0M2 £ 0.00

Wheels
21-inch Sport Classic wheels Exclusive C9K £ 441.00

Interior
Light comfort package (i.c.w driver memory package, comfort memory package or adaptive Sports seats with comfort memory package) PP8 £ 210.00
Adaptive sports seats with comfort memory package (18-way) PE6 £ 1,214.00
Seat heating (front) 4A3 £ 284.00
Side airbags in rear compartment 4X4 £ 251.00
Speed limit indicator 9Q6 £ 243.00
Heated steering wheel 2ZH £ 182.00
Storage package QE1 £ 162.00
Smoker package 9JB £ 36.00
Interior Leather Personalised reversible loadspace mat with leather edging incl. sill protection Exclusive
AFZ £ 158.00
Interior Aluminium Brushed aluminium interior package in black 5TH £ 0.00

Audio / Comm.
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM) 7UG £ 1,052.00
Connect Plus IV2 £ 801.00

Total Price:* £ 64,518.00

ps SWMBO does not even know I've started looking for her next car yet :grin:

Video Review

Very nice!!

(bar the white bodywork).

It was the best colour of the bunch in my eyes.

- I could not go for black (too close to the Range Rover to get another stealth look)

- Carmine Red is nice but looks better on a Boxter or Cayman and its a £1600 option :dont know:

- the Light blue looks OK

- Silver looks OK

- other colours not for me

- Carrera White is a GT colour in my eyes so GTS in that colour, me likey :thumb:

That's going to look really very nice. My old Landy Defender was white with black accents and it was fab because it always looked so clean!

Love the red callipers and pano roof. Good stuff that man.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back