Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Y2K's arctic silver 2001 C2 3.4

A brief update; my car had a service last week and had a lower temperature thermostat and FVD oil sump installed.

IMG_1382_27e.jpg

IMG_1370_27e.jpg

Inspired by ELA's thread, the car has gone on a diet recently. So far I have removed the rear seats (-9.7kg), rear floor mats (-0.9kg) and rear low speed impact bar (-2.9kg). I have also experimented removing the rear centre carpet (-2.3kg) with the added bonus of emitting more flat-6 noise into the cabin. So a total of 15.8kg can be removed without too much effort. I'll update the first post regarding weight loss for future reference.

Jack, tools and spacesaver would save around 13.4kg; I'll remove them when on track. #becauseracecar

IMG_1369_27.jpg

Before -
IMG_1354_27e.jpg

After -
IMG_1358_27e.jpg

I had been looking at different wheels as well; the GT3 wheels look nice but they're quite heavy. The popular choice are the Alleggerita HLT from OZ Racing which are extremely light (EVO Magazine Jethro Bovingdon's 996 has them), but at almost £2000 they are out of my price range. So on Sunday I picked up a set of Carrera wheels locally, complete with good matching Bridgestone tyres for £600. The wheels are not in perfect condition but are presentable. The Carrera wheels are the lightest Porsche standard-fit 996 18' and saving 10kg over the GT3 wheeels. :)

IMG_1385_27e.jpg

That's all for now. MOT tomorrow.

Decent weight saving. Only 10in rear so no good for widebody cars.

Going hollow spokes for me would save 2.2kg front and 2.5kg rear per wheel. Interesting to see what you think with yours in terms of feedback and overall ride.

scutler said:
What are you doing with the original wheels.....? selling...?

Keeping them; they were refurbished by one of the past owners and are still in mint condition.

Nice car and I'm sure these are on the up price wise. Interesting thread i'll be keeping an eye on :thumb:

Had the car on rolling road last week; according to Charlie, who runs Surrey Rolling Road and ex-996 turbo owner, my car is fine and healthy, it's just the engine is not very powerful. He said from his experience non-Mezger 996/7s tend to be under-powered whereas Mezger cars are stronger than advertised. So it's just a case of TADTS.

Am I disappointed? Slightly. Has this dampened my ownership expereince? Not a bit. It drives well, it looks good and as my mate said to me on the day, it's still a 911. And it is my 911.

IMG_1758_27.jpg

IMG_1762_27e.jpg

Y2K said:
scutler said:
lol, i`m another corrado convert looking at getting a 996.... my old corrado was C5 OEM .......

I remember C5 OEM from the forum with its BBS wheels. :)

Good luck with your search! Porsches seem to be natural progression for us ex-Corrado owners. My imaginary 'lottery garage' would include a blackberry Corrado VR6. 8)

Haha! Yeah I remember your car, wasn't it in PVW magazine?? Silver right?Sure there was a centre full page photo spread that I lusted after, very nice :thumbs:
Yup mine had previously been supercharged, then turbo...then when I had it R32, pretty epic for what it was!

Liking the weight saving, it's something I'm aiming to do.....not going to go nuts and want in all reversible.....don't think it takes much to tweak a 996 into something really fun!
Already got a non sunroof car, which I specifically wanted after having corrados with roofs that always fail!!
Few more bits to get up to std before I really start playing with it.....

Went to Donington Park trackday a couple of weeks ago; it was not the most successful day as I had issues with the brakes.

IMG_1773_27.jpg

Then last week I went to Car Limits driver training with forum member 'arry (blue car) and two other chaps. Spun loads. :D

IMG_1798_27e.jpg

Two arctic silvers side by side; interestingly my car (right, MY01) is a few shades brighter than the earlier arctic silver (left).

IMG_1808_27e.jpg

And a picture at the hotel.

IMG_1784_27e.jpg

:bye:

wasz said:
I heard this is where the ex-Corrado owners hang out...

I had two VR6, a '94 Aqua Blue and later a '93 Schwarz Black. And a whole load of Mk2 golf GTIs :mrgreen:

911 looks great!

911s seem to be natural progression for us ex-Corrado owners. :thumb:

Actually come to think of it the power delivery of the 996 3.4 isn't too dissimilar to the VR6, and they both sound great too!

Apparently there are 6 shades of Artic silver. Having just bought some paint to do my seat backs and possible side skirts if I buy them. Anyone got a good source for late 996.2 aero gt side skirts.

Went to Castle Combe yesterday and had a very good day. Only just scraped through the static noise test though; the limit was at 100dB and I was asked to rev the engine to 4,500rpm but I cheated and registered 100dB at 4,100rpm. This will rule out Thruxton for me and a couple other 'quiet' circuits.

The car performed well all day and the brakes fared much better than at Donington, although they will benefit from an upgrade. As will the tyres and the seats - the existing seats are making the car more physically demanding to drive than it ought to be.

Coolant temperature was no higher than 107 degree; according to posts here that's within the acceptable range on track.

I still wasn't brave enough to do a 'Tiff Needell flick' at high speed corner entry; I thought Castle Combe perhaps wasn't the best place to try it. I guess I will have to visit Bedford at some point.

Ultimately the car is not that quick (207 bhp/tonne) but it's not a track car, so I'm enjoying it for what it is, a fine road 911.

Attachments

• img_1821_27e_430.jpg
    img_1821_27e_430.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 7,614
  • 14370272_10209440466101387_386127599645588867_n_660.jpg
    14370272_10209440466101387_386127599645588867_n_660.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 7,614

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby