Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying CAT D 911 sc

Bidding stopped at £18k so still a big jump to £27k if that's the asking price.

If your serious then best get your own inspection done. I'm not sure why it needed to go through and inspection before being returned to the road. Didn't that only apply to C or B categories?.

Slightly misleading suggesting part to repair scuttle rust is available for £79. You'd want to factor in £1k at least to get it properly fixed.

It does look like a nice little car if it checks out. I agree with the above, CAT D does not require a VOSA inspection. Most Insurance companies will insist on a MOT post the repairs. Essentially a D car has been written off due to cost of repair and importantly risk to the Insurance company of re-curring costs. They could pay for the repairs and client not be happy with certain parts of the repair. As in the new paint not matching resulting in full resprays etc. It is not unusual for an Insurance company to write a car off if the repair cost is >60% the value of the car.

CAT C requires a VOSA check. This has ***** all to do with check the quality of the repairs and is really more of an identity check to check that it is the same car. They check VIN numbers, engine numbers etc.

CAT B Can never be returned to UK roads and can only be used to salvage parts. Could be used for track use. Normally such a wreck it would not be un-economical to fix even on the cheap. Especially as the value would be so low as its use would be limited.

CAT A Has to be crushed and can not even be used for parts.

As to the value it I am not sure... Typically a cat D could be valued at 20% less than an equivalent straight car. Bare in mind it will alway be a cat D therefore will always be worth less and may be harder to sell in the future.

My car is a CAT D and that suits me as it means I can use it! I can also service it myself and mod it as much as I see fit without worrying about residuals. Each to there own though. We all know a lot of owners buy porsche's (certainly older ones) to keep in their garage as a museum piece. A CAT D is not going to appeal to this buyer.

Thanks guys for replies, i like the fact that it just have 4 owners.. hopefully wont be abused i am flying next week to have a look on it...
the plan is to keep for my self..not to re sell it.. i have been reading about Cat D but that he's side of story slightly makes me concerned but if the rest is ok i could live with cat d.
27 000 is asking price and i will try to knock it off but at moment owner is not dropping..

My honest opinion is that CAT D is just a status. A CAT D could well be straighter than a straight car that has been accident damaged and repaired by the Insurance company. If a car is repaired by the Insurance company then clearly it will have no status. It does not always mean that it is repaired to the best of standards. As I say my car is a cat D. I have had a full wheel alignment and all the wheels point the right way and it drives superb. Check for evidence that the water damage story checks out. I.e. look along all the door lines, gaps between lights and body work etc to make sure the gaps look correct and are consistent. If you are getting it inspected it will also be worth asking which ever garage does it to put it on the laser wheel aligner to check everything is straight. I have no idea on values of these hair dryers but find an equivalent and less 20%. You won't go far wrong with that number.

Cat D can affect the type/model of car for sale and whether buyers will consider one.

For example 993 - Cat status nobody wants. If they do work on knocking a third off what the 'straight' price would be for the same car.

If you're buying for yourself and not worried about future values then that's a different matter as only you will know what the car is worth to you.

Cat status will always have a stigma but when you consider the restoration early 911 go through (Trigger's broom for example) that haven't been bent it is sometimes a lot more severe with the restored car having little resemblance to the original. Unfortunatley not all buyers see it like that and are happy to stump up the dough but shun damaged/repaired examples.

I agree with 911tom, a cat d is not necessarily a bad thing if repaired properly. I have a 993 which was damaged when it was a year old and made a cat d, it was repaired correctly and 19 years later has had no adverse effects of the repair, which I believe to be a rear quarter, but it's really difficult to find the repair.

My vehicle was inspected after the repair by a uk company called Autolign, who are the only company recognised by HPI to change the status of a cat c or d vehicle. Mine doesn't show as a cat d on a HPI report but does state that it has been damaged in the notes. The inspection is about £300 and gives you peace of mind that the repair has been carried out correctly and the nature and extent of the damage.

The great thing about my 993 is that I not only got a cheap 993, which I know is relative if I want to sell but I'm not afraid to drive it like I stole it, track it or modify it without fear or the purest movement abducting me in the night!!!

I may just sent it to Singer or RUF when I've done with it and let's see if cat d effects its future value then with a major modification far greater than its original damage.

Good luck

She's home.. Thanks everyone for posts. Big grin on face after driving my self from Ireland.
1465651894_1470.jpg

Aigars said:
She's home.. Thanks everyone for posts. Big grin on face after driving my self from Ireland.
1465651894_1470.jpg

Excellent buy! Health to enjoy. :thumb:

Can I be so presumptuous to ask what the final price was ? :oops:

Looks great, congrats :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back