Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coupe, cabrio or targa?

Rayo

I had a Carrera S Cabrio for about 12 months before it was involved in an accident and written off. I know it was regarded as not as good as the coupe but wonder how the targa is regarded? Is that also regarded as second best to the coupe? I am in the process of deciding on a replacement and everywhere I look recently I seem to be seeing a targa!! Is this a sign?/

Targa all day in my books. Looks the business.

I'd love a Targa, if only because you can lift the glass hatch.

The loss assessor told me that cabrio's just aren't built as well as coupes.i know they are not as stiff. Wouldn't that equally apply to a Targa?

Apart from the obvious why do you like the targa? You can take the roof off for but that is probably only for 3 months of the year and the rest of the time you have a dark roof over you. At least with a glass roof you can see the sky all the time and open it is warm enough.

If you're into the style of the Targa, it's go to be worth it on that alone, the 991 is a striking throw back to the beautiful 3.2 and 964 Targas, but there is quite a price premium and a nearly 200kg weight penalty :eek:

Haven't heard or read that the cab isn't anything other than superb, the acoustic, styling and dynamic compromises are reduced further over the 997 to the point where they are indistinguishable in day to day driving. The weight penalty is less at 70kg. I had a 991 C2S cab for a week recently, deeply impressive :grin:

The coupe will out perform the targa or cab overall so if the targa style or open air motoring doesn't really appeal, the coupe wins :thumb:

Targa is the best looking car for me though if you are comparing a Targa to a C2 Coupe there is probably quite a bit of weight difference.

Total 911 did a decent review of the 991 GTS in all three guises which you can download (for a fee!). Long story short the coupe was a better drive. Personally the choice for me would be Targa or Coupe. I wouldn't consider a Cab.

For me too, has to be the coupe for the best driving experience. :lol:

If the driving experience is not your number one priority, then the targa for combining the best of open top/hard top motoring and the ingenuity of its roof mechanism.

1st Cabriolet, fantastic in the sunshine, fantastic in the rain. If you're driving to the limits of a coupe over the cabriolet on the road then you're crazy. If seconds count on the track then buy a track specific 911.

2nd Coupe, because.... because... erm... it might fair better in a remote coincidence it should ever roll off a cliff. :grin:

3rd Targa, greenhouse in the summer, cold in winter, prone to rattles, good for star gazing on a clear night whilst listening to your favourite music.

That's my personal ranking, but each to their own choice and circumstances. So long as everyone is happy :thumb:

MaxA said:
There is no hatch on a Targa anymore.

~ Maxie

Always had coupes, not a fan of cabs but the 991 targa is a thing of beauty. That's what I'd be driving now if I'd had the budget.

Coupe!

Maxie said:
MaxA said:
There is no hatch on a Targa anymore.

~ Maxie

Ah, shame that. It still looks lovely though. I could have considered a 997 Targa, as my car is my daily driver, but I actually have the coupe, no sun roof, no rear wiper. Clean, simple, effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back