Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Take 3: 996.1 C4: Update June 2017 - SOLD

Seats look amazing and trimmed beautifully ,wheels look great in gold and got to go with side script :thumbs:

Just read the whole of this thread, and I think the car looks great at the moment, but looking at the photoshop those decals are a must - it will tie in with the gold wheels perfectly.. :thumb:

Great job, the 996 is challenging to modifiers I think, it doesn't lend itself naturally to it and needs a careful approach, yours looks superb.

Hi thebig25

Your car looks amazing! Congrats on such a quality update on your 996 – genuinely stunning.

Could you tell me where you got your black alcantara gear lever from and also how'd you get hold of Gert at Carnewal? I have tried a few times but keep getting email bounce backs on his info@ address as I want one of those CUP wheels and centre console delete like yours!

Many thanks for the inspiration and keep it up!

Nath

MrB said:
Hi thebig25

Your car looks amazing! Congrats on such a quality update on your 996 – genuinely stunning.

Could you tell me where you got your black alcantara gear lever from and also how'd you get hold of Gert at Carnewal? I have tried a few times but keep getting email bounce backs on his info@ address as I want one of those CUP wheels and centre console delete like yours!

Nath

Console delete kits are very good price at porsche dealers

BHZ661 said:
MrB said:
Hi thebig25

Nath

Console delete kits are very good price at porsche dealers

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! I'll try and address all questions shortly.

On the quoted question: I agree, I don't think Gert's console kits will be much cheaper than your OPC once you account for postage etc. The OPC will discount those parts from list.

I'm not sure why you are getting a bounce? I just checked my email and that was the address we corresponded on. Keep trying, Gerts customer service is excellent.

My trimmer made the alcantara gearknob. A link to his site is in my post above.

I think i paid £88.00 plus vat less a discount from Silverstone Porsche and the trim panel in front of gear lever was less than £5

Took the car to Northway last week for a service and MOT which it passed with no dramas, but was advised that my exhaust boxes would need some attention in the near future as they were starting to split at the seams.

I knew this was coming so had already ordered some Supersprint back boxes (had these on a number of cars in the past and liked the sound and quality) for the car, but the dealer was having trouble sourcing them so I cancelled the order and started looking at alternatives.

Sound-wise I wanted something slightly more aggressive but not too obnoxious and after some youtube research and reading others post on here I settled on Dansk Sport backboxes.

Whilst reading up on the boxes I also read about the improvement that 200 cell cats give so opted for a Topgear 200 cell x-pipe too. I looked at the other suppliers like Fabspeed etc but their products were considerably more money and I could not see what they offered over the Topgear one- They all look pretty much alike, and the material grades and cat core are virtually identical. When it arrived I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of it. Welding looks good and its really nicely put together:

27289401161_02a2062f74.jpg

I got the backboxes from ECP using a mates trade account for £388+VAT and the X-pipe direct from Topgear. It's well worth giving them a call on this as they will offer a decent discount from the web price of £450. I also picked up an ITG panel filter from ECP so I could maximise the airflow through the new pipes.

Also renewed all the clamps and the lambda probes too, and sourced marine grade fixings to replace the Mary Rose replicas that were on the car.

26707298484_56cc1b8784.jpg

I was originally going to send it back Northway to get the work done, but after looking at various videos on the net I thought I could do it myself and save the money. I began by soaking all the fixings in penetrating fluid every night for a week, and yesterday I got cracking. Here's where we started:

26752497354_652a43753b.jpg

And here is where we finished:

27359789125_5fff6ff1c0.jpg

27359788535_e64f298693.jpg

(sorry about thumb!)

Really happy with how it's come together.

However that is only half the story. Removing the old parts was an absolute nightmare. Literally had to fight every bolt and got nowhere trying to take them off properly with sockets and spanners- they either rounded (even with 6 sided sockets) or snapped. In the end got fed up and broke out the grinder and ground off the tail pipe clamp and hanging clamps and got a bit brutal with a reciprocating saw on the exhaust boxes to get them off the car as the 3 bolts that hold the support bracket were rusted beyond use.

I was going to cut the support brackets off the car too, and order some new ones, but luckily I checked Deroure before I did as they appear to be one of those parts that is priced by Porsche's comedy department- £300 each!! Instead I ground the heads off of the pressed studs in the brackets and was able to remove them from the car. I tidied up the holes and reattached the brackets to the car using some marine grade fixings.

Once it was all off I cleaned all they exposed areas and got on with putting the shiny bits on the car. Everything fitted together without any fettling and when I started the car and let it idle again there was no blowing from any of the joints. Happy days! I quickly put in the new panel filter and buttoned the bumper up so we could go for a test drive.

So what is it like? Performance wise i'm not sure if it has released much more power, but it does feel a bit faster on the butt dyno. However, what is very noticeable is the much improved throttle response and the ease at which the revs grow, it seems so much freer than with the standard set up. I also noticed an increase in torque lower down the rev-range which is odd as most commentators have said that this sort of setup makes the car more peaky.

Noise wise it is louder across the whole rev range, but not obnoxiously so. People wanting a cup car replica probably won't like this combo. It is deeper at idle, but quite quiet when compared to my old boxes, which leads me to believe that they might have been a bit more perforated than I thought. As you go up through the revs it builds into a really hard growl, before hitting a nice wail near the redline. This is twinned with a reasonable induction roar too.

Overall I'm very happy with it. For just over £1k all in it has improved the driveability of the car and the noise adds to the sense of occasion. The stainless construction and marine grade hardware should mean it stands the test of time too. I would recommend the change to others. :thumb:

Note for DIY'ers: Think carefully before you take this on. Northway quoted me 3 hours to do the swap, which with the advantage of hindsight now seems cheap. On paper its an easy job- just 20 or so nuts and bolts -but i'm not sure I would want to do it myself again without access to a ramp. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty comprehensive toolbox with airtools etc. and am reasonable with the spanners, but even then it took me 6 hours, of which only 75 minutes was reassembly. The rest was fighting with rusty hardware under a car on stands which is never the best situation. My soft southern hands are also battered from trying get into tight spaces with tools to get at the fixings!

Great work, I'm possibly a bit colour biased but this is probably my favourite build thread,
hats off to you for defeating all the corroded exhaust bolts and getting the job done yourself :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing your car at the weekend 8)

jezgreen911 said:
Great work, I'm possibly a bit colour biased but this is probably my favourite build thread,
hats off to you for defeating all the corroded exhaust bolts and getting the job done yourself :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing your car at the weekend 8)

Thanks!

I think the car is getting there. Cosmetically I think it's all but done (graphics should be going on this week), next stage is the oily bits- I'm thinking about a LWFW, Wavetrak LSD and semi solid mounts, and maybe a 2wd conversion and some simple lightening along the lines of ELA's car- won't be going as far as his though!

Loving the car, you've done an awesome job. I have the same interior colour on my 997 and love it. Black and gold is a classic ever since the lotus jps days and really suits the car, keep up the great work :thumbs:

stunning car great work , always loved black and gold , its classic and the ductail adds to that

Great work , I know the feeling about the exhausts , mine were a bitch as well when i done them

Last couple of bits before the run to Beaulieu on Sunday.

Brake calipers repainted. Got some gold decals added too:
27440528585_4fc2d8060f.jpg

And a final polish and detail from Tom at TKDetailing.

Just got to keep it clean now!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back