Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car DIY for dummies

nigel99

As i am complete novice, are there any recommendations for books, dvds, training courses etc for learning about car maintenance/repair/troubleshooting?

I'm not looking for anything Porsche specific, more of a general thing.

Buy a car and play with it, you learn so much more by doing
Most of it is common sense, so don't be afraid to get stuck in.
MC

MisterCorn said:
Buy a car and play with it, you learn so much more by doing
Most of it is common sense, so don't be afraid to get stuck in.
MC

:yeah: have a go. Watch a 'how to video' on YouTube relevant to the job in hand. Be methodical and don't be afraid to ask for help. It's a really good way to get to know your own car. After a while you'll find a lot of tasks involve similar tasks. Removing bumpers for access for example. Once you've done it once for one job you'll know exactly how to do it next time.

Love working on my car. For me it is all part of ownership.

Agreed, buy something to tinker with, I'd suggest getting a car that you can use on a track so you will always be developing it and things like fitting brakes and suspension will give you a good insight into how it all goes together. It'll be more of a project. I did the same thing when I was younger with a drag racing V8 Targa Opel Manta, taught me so many things about cars that I still use today.

Another option would be to help someone who knows what they are doing already, be a spanner man for a hobby before taking something on or enroll in a college course, most do a mechanics course.

You will only get better by doing as much work yourself as possible, I do know some people who think they can work on cars and always end up bringing them to me to finish or fix, I think some are cut out for it and others aren't.

The only thing that stops most people of having a go at anything is the fear of getting it wrong, there is nothing difficult about playing around with cars as long as you have the right tools and enough knowledge!

Youtube + ebay, sorted :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back