Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Chris Harris on 911 GT3 values.

nick w said:
jotaking said:
Indeed, manual slated for 2017.

What do you guys think this will do to the gt3 used market?

As a turbo owner I watch the turbo segment with great interest, however I haven't got my finger on the GT3 pulse.

What is the general consensus with the experts and owners on here.

For sure, there will be always be a market adjustment when a new model gets
rolled out and there will always be seasonal rises and falls too. But overall,
with so many people wanting so very few cars being manufactured, used car
values will still remain 'over the top'. Blame that on zero interest rates, and
so many 'new buyers' wanting to treat GT3's as investment vehicles...as well
as a few old Hawks on here too !

..'supply and demand', something that Porsche are quite good at influencing.
Huge marketing hype, then they build a handful of cars which get trickled out.

:bandit:

+1 I'd agree with that

I can't see the new car being manual having a massive difference on older manual GT3's. It's not just the gearbox, there's the engine and steering too, size, etc. New one will probably be more complex technologically than the outgoing model too, so there's definitely now a stronger analogue vs. digital split as well

The whole market is friggin bonkers ! Given how few 997 and 996 GT3's are actually on the market I don't really see the 991.2 with a manual box making that much of a difference to the prices. Will be interesting to see what premium the manual 991 GT3's command against PDK. Or maybe they won't!

Roro said:
90% of these new GT3's will probably be spec'd with PDK anyway :grin:

I don't think they will be. The GT3 has always been the purists car and I can foresee many people speccing the manual either because they genuinely want it, or because it wasn't available in the 991.1 and may be a better investment/resale option.

So, I reckon a 60/40 manual to PDK split. :thumb:

And on that note, I'd chop mine in for a manual. :thumbs:

habanero said:
Roro said:

I don't think they will be. The GT3 has always been the purists car and I can foresee many people speccing the manual either because they genuinely want it, or because it wasn't available in the 991.1 and may be a better investment/resale option.

Isn't that argument predicated on the assumption of those purists being allocated the vast majority of the cars though... These days that is a significant assumption with Porsche... ?

If 10% of the cars end up being specced by true purists and 100% of those go for manual : Roro's number could actually be on the money :noon:

Footnote - if the first owners were either enthusiasts or were speccing for residuals/resale then there would be a hell of a lot more Clubsports built rather than the general historical GT3 trend of a quarter or less. There was a cage delete option on the 997 and 991 RS models (including the 4 litre and GT2 RS). Quite a few people out there actually chose it when they ordered them. In fact - I have seen an actual GT2RS with comfort seats...

habanero said:
Roro said:

Was slightly tongue in cheek, but if anything it'll probably be the other way 60/40 PDK/manual. New car buyers don't want manual anymore, only the minority petrolhead market prefers manual hence the shift away. There's twice as many auto M3's listed on Autotrader for instance and the majority of 911's sold are PDK. It's debatable how much difference the fact it's a GT3 would make. All Ferrari's are auto. It's only the second hand market that seems to care about manuals.

Um not sure what happened there but only just read Colin's post. Agree, in my view it's mainly just hardcore enthusiasts that care about things like manual, cage, buckets. The majority of new car buyers just want something easy to drive, comfortable, that looks great and is brand new, and don't have any particular interest in what people on the internet say :)

I am not a fan of the PDK. Admittedly I have only used it in a Boxster a year ago and in a Boxster S last week. It takes away the fun for me, it is just too good. It feels like it can shift perfectly but they have dialled in some inperfection for those who like it. At least the SMG in my CSL feels like they made it shift as fast as they can and the driver will just put up with the bangs, it feels more honest. I would take a manual in the Porsche. You either have the old slush box or the 'too good' PDK.

MC

Many folks buying the 991 GT3 where first time Porsche owners, there was a big market out there that had already been seduced buy double clutch type transmissions form BMW, Audi and Ferrari so understandable that Porsche would want to appeal to that group but i could never work out why they made so few of them if that was the case, caught between two stools perhaps...

I think they have learned their lesson now, you can sort of already see it in the volumes of GT4's being made and potetially with the 991RS too, we know this car will be in production for a little while longer. Im not saying they will over produce but they will make just a few more and take the heat out of it a bit.

There is some speculation that the new 2017 911 RSR (or GTE i think it will be called) the car that Porsche will need to get right back at the pointy end of GT racing may have a non traditional 911 engine layout, maybe not mid engine but perhaps at least the transaxle at the rear instead of the motor....(note that none of the press shots showed the rear of the car which is unusual as its normally the best looking bit!) if so, one could extrapolate that this car may need homologating and then maybe we have a totally new type of 911 GT road car arrive...

Road GT cars have gone from a skunk works type of factory operation born out of the need to homologate models for racing and turned into a major marketing tool as well. As such i think they will always make a manual option in the future, at least until all the old gits that still want them have died off :D

Roro said:
There's twice as many auto M3's listed on Autotrader for instance and the majority of 911's sold are PDK.

But most of those cars will be daily drivers too, possibly the owners only car. I'd bet almost all 991 GT3 owners own another 'daily'. Mine is an auto Range Rover so as good the PDK is (and it's in a different league to that in the Boxster as quoted earlier) when I take out the GT3, if I had the option, I'd rather it was a manual.

habanero said:
Roro said:
There's twice as many auto M3's listed on Autotrader for instance and the majority of 911's sold are PDK.

But most of those cars will be daily drivers too, possibly the owners only car. I'd bet almost all 991 GT3 owners own another 'daily'. Mine is an auto Range Rover so as good the PDK is (and it's in a different league to that in the Boxster as quoted earlier) when I take out the GT3, if I had the option, I'd rather it was a manual.

Again, we're 'enthusiasts', so are likely to see things that way. The 991 GT3 opened the door to lots of people to use the car as a daily, primarily because of it being PDK, so as mentioned elsewhere Porsche have broadened their market and it's a different landscape now. Only time will tell how many manual 991.2 GT3's will leave the factory gates, but at this stage I'll stay firmly on the side of many more PDK than manuals being sold :thumb:

I'm curious to know how Porsche will market the difference between the manual and PDK 991.2 GT3's. Probably follow the R blurb for the manual (the one for road driving) and the PDK for the "track rats" as Preuninger likes to say. Which paradoxically would be the wrong way round for many of us!

Senoj said:
There is some speculation that the new 2017 911 RSR (or GTE i think it will be called) the car that Porsche will need to get right back at the pointy end of GT racing may have a non traditional 911 engine layout, maybe not mid engine but perhaps at least the transaxle at the rear instead of the motor....(note that none of the press shots showed the rear of the car which is unusual as its normally the best looking bit!) if so, one could extrapolate that this car may need homologating and then maybe we have a totally new type of 911 GT road car arrive...

I remember reading that too somewhere, it'll be interesting to see what form that road car takes assuming they do indeed make it. Would it have to be called a 911 on the road, or would it be one of those other future models you hear about from time to time like the new mid-engined 488 beater I've heard about :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back