Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rough idle after plenum competition installation on CS 2008

TheItalian

Hi guys,

hope you can help me!
Yesterday I did install the kit (plenum competition-GT3 throttle body-induction filter) on my 2008 CS (987.1)

I did check every hoses were clamped and tighten...when I turned on the engine the idle was very rough! by accelerating a tiny bit I could hear a whistle (the engine cover wasn't on yet) so I had a closer look at the crank case breather hose connected to the air-oil separator and looked not firmly connected! So I did plug it in and then it looked better but not 100% sealed yet..the idle got better but still rough! (went for a short ride and the car over 3000 rpm pulls fine and strong)

has anyone experienced this?

I think the little seal ring on the breather case hose that connects onto the air oil separator does't couple well therefore there must be a vacuum leak! will be a replacement of this hose enough?

Or what else should I look for? can i still drive the car? (I know it's not good if oil gets into the inlet/engine) but that AirOil separator was ok before I started the installation of the plenum.

Please I beg for help as I'm scared to ruin my car!!

You've definitely got an air leak post MAF. You'll still be able to run it but it'll run like $hit and the mixture will be off.

Have another look and double check all disturbed pipes. Also check for splits in the rubber. Are you sure the plenum is seated in between the inlet manifolds properly and the rubber connectors from the plenum to the manifold are on properly, even underneath?

It's hard to check underneath due to tight space between parts..but I did put my fingers all around the hoses and they all seem fine....I really think it's the breather hose from the oil separato as somehow it doesn't couple perfectly...a friend of mine will come around to help...ideally he will accelerate and I'll put my hear next the hoses to see where the whistle comes from! I'm only worried about dust getting into the engine or even oil....that would be terrible!

And I'll buy a new breather hose jus to try and see if it gets' better...

Any other comment is more welcome!

ok i've turned on the car again today....well first I turned the ignition on..waited 60 seconds....then turned off...and then turned the engine on immediately....now the idle looks better....probably I would say 95% like the stock...but when revving there is thill the whistle.....

Now....if there was a leak wouldn't the whistle be present all the way from 0 to 7000rpm? instead it's only there when push the throttle a bit and then disappear.....

Any comment on this?

TheItalian said:
ok i've turned on the car again today....well first I turned the ignition on..waited 60 seconds....then turned off...and then turned the engine on immediately....now the idle looks better....probably I would say 95% like the stock...but when revving there is thill the whistle.....

Now....if there was a leak wouldn't the whistle be present all the way from 0 to 7000rpm? instead it's only there when push the throttle a bit and then disappear.....

Any comment on this?

If its in a pipe subject to vacuum then sometimes the vacuum increases with the revs, thus sucking the opening shut and stopping the whistle.

Small weather hoses can cause rough running, as can leaving the oil cap off!

If in doubt, cobble together a smoke machine and find the leak with that :thumb:

Im not sure what the mod entails but im guessing you have replaced the throttle ? if so you didnt adapt it the first time hence poor idle which you corrected by ignition on 60 secs then off .. that will adapt the throttle.

Noise is probably an air leak .. smoke machine is the most effective way to find air leaks as Ragpicker said.

yes the throttle has adapted itself now....I'm just removing the hoses now and re-plug them and tighten again...to see if it will work! if not smoking machine!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back