Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ragpickers Leggy 986 S.. first real problem: page 9

I have been thinking about getting a boxster for a while as well... My turbo is not great on track. Too powerful for my ability and being a tip it is hard work. Been thinking about a stripped out boxster or maybe a VX220 turbo. Then I think maybe just use the van lol!

Whilst we're on a practical theme, the Box also has WAY more boot space than the Turbo.

Small update...

Spent the weekend changing all 4 coffin arms. 

27258633662_fc21e8903e_b.jpg

As per, every bolt/fastener was corroded within an inch of its life which made the disassembly more challenging. Each coffin arm has Porsche part numbers on and there are no receipts for them in the huge file from Michael, so I can only presume they are the original ones from the factory. I couldn't source any tuning fork arms for this weekend so these will have to be done next week, but suffice it to say it appears that the only bits which have been replaced appear to be the drop links and tie rod ends. Everything else will be done by me in the next couple of weeks,

More pressing matters - trying to find this bloody oil leak! The whole rear offside of the engine was coated in oil, so I cleaned as much off as I could ran the car up to temp but couldn't get anywhere. I thought with the amount of oil it would be something like the AOS bellows (bone dry), the variocam solenoid seal - fraid not, the rocker cover - not sure, so I'm at a loss. 

In this pic you can see the AOS bellows is dry, there is oil around the rocker cover, but there is also oil on the right of the picture over the electrical connectors.. Any idea?

27258633992_f861cbc2ab_b.jpg

This pic is the oil pump at the rear of the engine. Its hard to tell if this is leaking as there is a definite leak from the RMS/IMS area which could be spraying up onto this bit. The problem is its also really difficult to get in there to clean it properly...

26750159203_4caed46fca_b.jpg

I haven't taken many pics this weekend due to being more pre-occupied with getting the coffin arms on and doing the geometry with bits of string and a tape measure to get the car somewhere near drivable! 

Any bright ideas with this leak will be very helpful! Needless to say when the engine is running I can't see any oil weeping from the rocker cover or oil pump at all. It is leaving a nice beer mat sized patch on the drive after each journey though :pc:

It is possible to have a sensor that leaks oil into the wireing of the sensor .. this then through capilerary action will work its way along the wireing and leak out at any points it can .

Another one if you suspect cam covers is plug tubes .. common cause of leaks and with any oil leak you are looking for the highest trace of oil and the oil closest to the front of the car as oil will flow rear wards with wind pressure on moveing.

Basically you have to clean just about everything then run up and look for fresh leaks which i know is pretty difficult , brake cleaner is pretty good at cleaning off old oil.

Oil filler tube is a possible at the join on top of the engine .. and i think from the picts its a possible cam sensor but hard to tell im afraid .. anyways something to work with :)

Oh .. and welcome to my world .. it can be a nightmare lol.

Demort said:
It is possible to have a sensor that leaks oil into the wireing of the sensor .. this then through capilerary action will work its way along the wireing and leak out at any points it can .

Another one if you suspect cam covers is plug tubes .. common cause of leaks and with any oil leak you are looking for the highest trace of oil and the oil closest to the front of the car as oil will flow rear wards with wind pressure on moveing.

Basically you have to clean just about everything then run up and look for fresh leaks which i know is pretty difficult , brake cleaner is pretty good at cleaning off old oil.

Oil filler tube is a possible at the join on top of the engine .. and i think from the picts its a possible cam sensor but hard to tell im afraid .. anyways something to work with :)

Oh .. and welcome to my world .. it can be a nightmare lol.

I hear you Dermot! Thanks for the tips!! I really need to grow a pair and stick something through that tiny hole on the offside to clean it all up. I know gynaecologists who've had bigger holes to work with than this!

Oil filler and cam sensor... Those are next on my list to check this week! The car will be back on the lift at the weekend anyway to change the tuning fork arms and both ARB's and bushes. Might be the perfect time to give her a good clean (again)....

:thumb:

Im sure you know about useing brake cleaner but for anyone reading this post just a warning .. its highly volitile , you use it in a spray bottle and it will wash off oil and grim but use in a ventilated garage .. its not pleasent stuff .. and no sparks of any kind .. its very pretty when it burns but trust me you dont want it to lol .

Ragpicker if at any time you want a chat them pm me and ill send my number .. sometimes easier to talk on the phone than by post.

Good luck :)

Thanks again Demort, I may well take you up on that offer!

Just been thinking about the oil filler. Found this pic on reenlist. If the corrugated bit of the filler is leaking then it will fall onto the connectors and the whole of this side of the engine.
27357459105_a9d4be6392_b.jpg

I also notice in the file that it had 2 spark plug tubes replaced 6 months ago as they were leaking (evidenced by lots of oil around the tubes on the crank case).

Plug tubes plus oil filler failing = AOS on its way out..... Might be worth changing all of these things.

RMS/IMS leak too. Plus easier access to the oil filler if the transmission is out.. Might as well do the IMS/RMS and a clutch whilst I'm in there..

:sad: will it ever end ?????

oil filler can be replaced with everything in situe , not easy to get to the " coolant bottle end " but still possible , ill explain how if needed .

Its the clip half way along at the corregated section .. thats the area it will leak from .. and also cause air leaks .. car will adapt but not perfect.

Plug tube leak is common and its the seals that leak .. its a cheap fix though ..

You are going to have a RMS leak .. it just depends on how bad it is .. i suspect its not the main leak .. im guessing more plug tubes and oil filler and with this sort of thing it all depends on how far you want to go .. if you stop the main leak then minor ones are just caracter lol.

AOS is optional .. its not a huge job but the costs will soon mount up .. if your going for a full resto project then fine .. i look more to cureing the main problems that need to be done.

Logging now , pm me if needed :)

So another weekend and another time for an update. Over the course of the week another pile of parts has arrived to refresh the little car.

Here we have a new middle under tray (no trays on the car when I got it, now its got front and middle), new polybushed tuning fork arms, new coolant cap, exhaust gaskets, cabin pollen filter and two M030 antiroll bars with bushes. The tyres are my current favourite - Cooper Zeon CS - A rated wet grip, excellent dry grip, and miles better than the Conti's I had on the turbo before these.
26873875594_130134f097_b.jpg

Before all the shenanigans putting this lot on I thought I'd have a bash at sorting this lacquer peel on the bonnet which had been bugging me since I got the car.
27448484946_dc77ed3cb2_b.jpg

So I thought 'Nae bother this, seen em do it'... I began by sanding down the edges of the peeling clear coat with the intention of making it flush with the base coat. Things (not surprisingly) didn't go to plan and I ended up taking some of the base coat off and going into the primer...
... Just as well I still had that can of Artic Silver spray paint I got when I had my old 4S then! Not quite. It appears that my old 4S was a slightly different colour and the spray paint came out in splatters more than a smooth flow..

To cut a long story short, after many hours of making a mess, rubbing down, finally getting a smooth patch of silver down and then polishing the clear coat I ended up with this
27448701406_c3638eccae_b.jpg

... and I think you'll agree that from this angle it looks just fine!

There are lots of areas on the car which need painting, so I've decided I'm going to do a 'homebuiltbyjeff' and create my own booth, invest in some proper gravity fed guns, and learn to do it myself once and for all.

In between putting the paint down and waiting for it to be dry enough to put the clear on I tackled this:
26875332493_25ab9b8a2e_b.jpg

26875341803_ca138f14ed_b.jpg

Old vs new front ARB
26873878414_9811497890_b.jpg

Then I freshened everything up and re-assembled:
27205937990_abe0523415_b.jpg

27383795112_07be7a47d3_b.jpg

Before putting the trays on with these
26873881804_7f04e81a58_b.jpg

Things noted - there appears to be a small weep from one of the power steering pipes above the front anti-roll bar. Also I still haven't managed to find the source of the oil leak at the back, but I believe it to be the oil filler pipe.

Tomorrow the car is off to OPC Newcastle to have a new key programmed to the car because the 3 it came with don't work off the blipper.

Until next time..... :bandit:

My car has a ps leak in exactly the same place.I steam cleaned the car off when I got it and I have done 3000 miles since and it now appears as a tiny bit of sweating at the joint rather than the accumulated large oil leak which it looked like before.

Fantastic RPU. When I've this little monkey off my back I'm going to rekindle my Father's 'spanner' gene :thumbs: :worship:

kas - yeah I think this is the same, looks like its slowly weeping rather than leaking, but its in a pretty awkward spot to remove and fix so I'll do the same and keep an eye on it.

N996B - 'Spanner gene'? Not sure I read that the way you meant it :what: :grin:

Loving the work you are doing , car looks great for money :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back