Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

alex yates said:
I'd be blasting down the South of France in it this summer if it were mine. If you want, I'll take yours down for you, ready for your summer holiday in Cannes.

For a small fee, obviously :lol:

I'm in Cannes a couple of times a year but unfortunately never have the opportunity to drive it there :sad:

We have also just bought a chateaux near Bergerac so spending August out there but again will be flying as it comes with a house keeper and escalade for transport :thumb:

As you've used the plural (chateau s, chateaux pl) I'm presuming you've bought two of the above caravans?

:floor:

Well now you mention it :)

A farmhouse in the French Alps which is a two year rebuild project and the classic style near Bergerac :thumb:

So the 993 is booked into unit 11 for a major service tomorrow so thought I had better shake the cobwebs off, started like dream as if it had only been sat for a day :thumb:

A blast around my local coastline to warm it up thoroughly and the smile was back on my face 8)

It always amazes me how much fun I get driving this car. Going from FFRR / Lamborghini to the 993 really brings home how small and low the 993 is. Nowhere near as fast but it feels like it is ....... and that noise ahhhhhhhhhh

Looking forward to a day at unit 11 tomorrow :)

jonttt said:
So the 993 is booked into unit 11 for a major service tomorrow so thought I had better shake the cobwebs off, started like dream as if it had only been sat for a day :thumb:

A blast around my local coastline to warm it up thoroughly and the smile was back on my face 8)

It always amazes me how much fun I get driving this car. Going from FFRR / Lamborghini to the 993 really brings home how small and low the 993 is. Nowhere near as fast but it feels like it is ....... and that noise ahhhhhhhhhh

Looking forward to a day at unit 11 tomorrow :)

Got to be a contender for the worst "I've got lots of money post". :grin: :thumb:

It offers a different perspective :wink:

When the weather improves I'll get some pics of the lambo and 993 as its quite a contrast but driving the 993 today reminded me how much people appreciate the classics, got some great comments where in a modern supercar people are much more standoffish

I can nip over and value the 993 tomorrow at Unit 11 if you like as you wont be far from me. :dont know:

No problem, I can value your KN and we can see how close you can get to 25 bags for mine :frustrated:

There is another 993 due in for me to look at......

Walked over to Birchwood to spend the day in Home and Bargain and McDonalds whileI "work'. I've already had "the' phone call but it was to tell me that some work I had asked them to do (top mounts) did not need doing and the only additional work over the major service item they could find was to replace one rubber boot (not sure which yet) :)

Before I left I watched them remove the front and rear air filters, they held them up, laughed and said how many miles have you done :floor: They all looked like brand new but had to be replaced so they could satisfy the "major service'" criteria for the service book :roll:

Edit: Pic of car ready to pickup after its major service, looking rather pleased with itself...

I actually had time today to do some 993 tinkering for what must be the first time in over 12 months :nooo:

The alarm siren on my car has never worked since I bought the car. The alarm and immobiliser work (flashing indicators, locking doors, car immobilised) but there is never any noise.

A while ago I bought a generic modern rechargeable siren from eBay for c£10 with the intention of fitting it. This however would have meant cutting the wiring block to wire in and of course would not have been "original" :hand:

So when I spotted on eBay a Hamilton and Palmer Siren from a 1997 Porsche 993, from a well known breakers, guaranteed working and with the all important x2 keys I jumped at the Buy It Now Button .... and was £60 poorer :eek:

I fitted it this afternoon, 5 min job, plug and play :thumb: .......

The original Siren in situ on the left hand side of the engine bay ...

Pull off the rubber cover to expose the wiring block..

and a gentle tuck on the wiring block to remove it...

Before removing the old siren I plugged in the new siren and sure enough it worked :bandit:

So to remove the old siren you simply undo two hex nuts on each side. Note when these are loose you can simply slide the siren backwards to remove, pics below show why :wink: ....

You are then left with a nice clean void where the siren used to fit....

Fitting the new unit is simply the reversal of removal....

with key in situ...

with key cover in place...

Note the Hamilton and Palmer alarm / immobiliser system was retro fitted to UK cars by Hamilton & Palmer prior to delivery to first customers. There where slight variations over the 993 production run and I'm not sure if the alarm siren itself varied ?

The siren works but "going off" on alarm activation or disconnection of power (eg battery disconnected) when it "goes off" via rechargeable battery.

I tested it and its ......... LOUD....... 15 min later whilst typing this my ears are still ringing (engine cover was open) :eek:

The idea of the keys (which often go missing and are not replaceable) is to be able to switch to an "off" position for example on removing battery or faults.

So my 993 now has a voice again :thumb:

:hand: I hope you shifted all the rust from the 'original' bracket :grin:

Zingari said:
:hand: I hope you shifted all the rust from the 'original' bracket :grin:

£25k less cost of new bracket?

So my 993 now has a voice again Thumb

I would rather my 993 didn't have a voice, if I leave it to long it has a habit of calling me, usually in the early hours of the morning much to the disapproval of close neighbours!

give me a 20 year old bomb proof engine any day.....

JLR customer service fantastic as I expect these days (the little emergency button really does work !) and just been confirmed engine seized and likely new engine needed (cheaper to fit new than to strip/repair/rebuild).

ps the funny thing is I went from outside lane in rush hour on M6 doing 70MPH (+/- 20MPH :cop: ) to free rolling and ending up in a caravan parking bay on the Charnock Richard services on the cars last roll, I did not even apply the brake to stop the car, talk about lucky :roll:

Edit: I'd just stated in another thread that the FFRR was the best daily driver in the world. I may have to revisit that statement :pc:

The silver lining is it maybe just the excuse I need to get the 993 out in this fine weather to run it for a week rather than the hire car :eek:

Shocking! What caused the seizure?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back