Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Aventura Adventure

Flightrisk said:
If you're coming over the Channel on the way to Wayne's you have to pass through Kent so could be worth popping into Powerspeed for a cheeky pair of 100/200cel cats beforehand? Would be rude not to.

Of course on the way back you then pass close to Chris at Center Gravity you know?

Center of Gravity already ticked off list - Chris Franklin is a magician!

On the 200 cell cats - I've read the reviews on the group buy and it seems they're the ticket. Despite that, like Jonttt, I'm a little worried that combined with the bypass mufflers (Fister 2s in my case) they may be too loud. If I hadn't already bought the mufflers I think I would have tried sports cats on their own first - but having looked at the decibel readings from Darin Fister in the States, 200 cell cats with Fister 2s are louder than Fister 3s which may be too much. So I've decided to go with a Wayne remap first and live a while with it. I appreciate if I then go for the 200 cats at a later date I'll have to redo the remap, but I'm being Mr Cautious....must be getting old!

Exhaust note is so subjective....to me, no question, the original 993 setup is too quiet.....but with a range of mods, at what point does it become too loud for the street? Some people want race car loud - and if that's what's wanted, go for it - but I personally don't like the idea of a car sounding more powerful than it actually is. It may be that the chip/sports cat/muffler bypass combo gives the perfect sound, I don't know as I haven't heard it 'live', but I'm doing it in incremental steps.

Please forgive me for starting a new thread regarding the modifications to the 993. I'm a newbie to the 993 & would love to know what changes are worthwhile making.

It's been a while, so time for an update! :)

Just over 2 years into ownership sees ~10.5k miles covered. The car was acquired to be driven & enjoyed and I'm glad I've managed to do just that :yes: . Yes that includes all weather driving, all year round - considered blasphemous by many fellow owners here I'm sure, but I didn't buy it to keep locked away in the garage... :nooo:

The downside is it does of course get quite filthy...:evil:

be2pdQH.jpg

I5HKW7X.jpg

zc8PDvG.jpg

VD2z6ec.jpg

Since the last update, apart from scheduled servicing, a few items have been addressed when time and budget have allowed:

- Full AC diagnostic [showing no problems, full regas carried out]
- Suspension refresh [Bilstein B6 + H&R springs + full geo]
- DME relay [didn't have a spare, the fear got to me]
- CTEK MXS 5.0
- New bonnet struts
- RS Steering Wheel
- HVAC diagnostic followed new footwell mixer servo/mixing flap motor
- New brake discs & pads on all corners [Sebro + Textar]

A reminder of how the car sat on the tired factory suspension:

jSxeT2I.jpg

N9Jm9Kv.jpg

...and how it sits now....

The aim was to firm up the ride and fill the arches better; the height was set to RS+10, give or take factory tolerances, and geo was completed to Sport specification via Peter Tognola's Beissbarth set up. I'm very happy with the outcome as the objectives were fully met! :) orangecurry was particularly helpful via PM on suspension options and set up, many thanks :thumb: .

One area that I was struggling with was the size of the steering wheel :what: . Put simply, at 380mm, it just felt too big to impose full control in the tighter corners. I'd contemplated the RS wheel for quite some time and following some encouraging posts by wozy & HPNer, finally went for it :D.

A reminder of how it looked before, with the retrimmed 4-spoker:

53L4Qj9.jpg

5li6u38.jpg

YKoua98.jpg

...and how it looks now...

dY19Lc9.jpg

EBFwjMS.jpg

MZzHwvf.jpg

I really shouldn't have waited this long to make the change - am kicking myself for it - the new wheel is pretty much perfect in so many respects; size, tough, weight... its spot on! Really pleased with how it looks at home amongst the other retrimmed interior too 8).

Speaking of the interior, it's still holding up really well which is fantastic:

IHK0gLs.jpg

k2JfqjY.jpg

yJH6Frh.jpg

We all know how good the brakes are on these cars, and I hope the new components will now last for many years to come. Interestingly, the reason for the refresh was not down to wear, but rather corrosion to the inner faces of the discs - something that had been flagged on past MOTs and services, and hence always on the 'to do' list.

Finally, taking advantage of the recent drier weather, the car benefited from a deserved and overdue clean last weekend:

rCHNYxn.jpg

lN1JOQw.jpg

NkfiVAC.jpg

:)

Looking good. :thumb: Does the wheel now have a better (closer) reach with the added boss :dont know: If you're tall IMHO the wheel reach in standard fare is too far away when you put the seat back, or you find your knees clip your ears when you change gear and brake :what:

:hand: As I'm still trying to get accepted into the Illuminati I need to point out that in one of the pics it looks like the wiper widget is missing (or you're running non standard blades) which to some could be an 'ultimate fail' and direction to park in the outfield :nooo:

Thanks Zingari :thumb:.

Zingari said:
Looking good. :thumb: Does the wheel now have a better (closer) reach with the added boss :dont know: If you're tall IMHO the wheel reach in standard fare is too far away when you put the seat back, or you find your knees clip your ears when you change gear and brake :what:
Much improved in that sense, definitely. It only protrudes about an inch further than the 4-spoker but this makes all the difference ;). I don't any have problems relating to being too tall... much the opposite in fact :lol: :oops:, and the boss on this wheel means I'm able to retain my preferred seating position without feeling like the wheel is fractionally further than I would've liked anymore.

Zingari said:
:hand: As I'm still trying to get accepted into the Illuminati I need to point out that in one of the pics it looks like the wiper widget is missing (or you're running non standard blades) which to some could be an 'ultimate fail' and direction to park in the outfield :nooo:
I did wonder if anyone would pass comment :puh: - I guess I should put it on the to do list :? I've never actually had one on the car :what:. Running Bosch Aerotwin flat blades at the moment but they're not overly impressive, so I think when the time comes they will be replaced with the PIAA ones that seem to get favourable comments...

Just so pretty ....... who needs a fat arse ....... gorgeous ....... :)

rCHNYxn.jpg

madalaa said:

rCHNYxn.jpg
+1 from me too, really pretty car in a rather cool colour, mean and purposeful without being a sheep in wolf's clothing. :grin:

The RS wheel is a no brainer! :thumb:

Looks great, ride height and steering wheel look much improved :thumb:

Mate some lovely pics right there. I swear my Aventura never looks that green! Looking more Forest Green. Very glossy and understated and that's what's so great about these cars; one can just mooch around town, run an errand or two and then.. whoosh.. you open up and you have naughty boy with a big wide grin. Plus all the kudos of classic car ownership naturally.

Looks good

What size spacers did u use to bring the wheels out to fill the arches? 5mm? 7mm?

HPNer said:
madalaa said:
+1 from me too, really pretty car in a rather cool colour, mean and purposeful without being a sheep in wolf's clothing. :grin:

The RS wheel is a no brainer! :thumb:
Thanks madalaa & HPNer! :thumb: Totally agree regarding the RS wheel - if anyone is contemplating it... go for it :D.

NottsRS said:
Looks great, ride height and steering wheel look much improved :thumb:
Thank you, NottsRS :) Both have made a significant difference.

MattyR said:
Mate some lovely pics right there. I swear my Aventura never looks that green! Looking more Forest Green. Very glossy and understated and that's what's so great about these cars; one can just mooch around town, run an errand or two and then.. whoosh.. you open up and you have naughty boy with a big wide grin. Plus all the kudos of classic car ownership naturally.
Thanks for the comment :thumbs: - interesting comment regarding the colour. I went all out on polishing and waxing, which took far too many hours and far too much effort :lol: (I should probably invest in a DA Polisher or similar). As you will know, the hue changes under different light conditions and I think the polished/glossiness affects it too! Must keep clean...

72911E said:
Looks good

What size spacers did u use to bring the wheels out to fill the arches? 5mm? 7mm?
No spacers used! Not sure if it's the photos being misleading :what: but the front wheels especially are very much 'tucked within the arches' - a little more that we'd all like...

A random update...

Tramont Cup wheels were added in Spring:

oTyjFE2.jpg

fOEdvUC.jpg

hNQWi3E.jpg

s3wU9C0.jpg

I was and still am undecided on centre caps (coloured crests vs black and white) so by default I'm running without at the moment :D, especially as it seems there are no adverse risks of running without.

More info on the wheels here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1223325.

ch3tman said:
As of last week:

wWDRqaX.jpg

:) 8)

The subsequent milestone to that photo in 2014 was passed this summer:

8FOmJV3.jpg

...the next one will be the biggie!

Also finally found a suitable phone mount; the ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount - an absurd cost for a glorified magnet (more so if you need to ship it) but does the job very very nicely:

l7lo4bk.jpg

YHnPwSb.jpg

4scNVMa.jpg

Finally an overhead pic from when the 200 cell cats were installed :) :

DzLPzAO.jpg

Congrats sir - just read all four pages. Lovely example!!

Final pic above - is that the place in Ashford? Looks very familiar!!

:thumb:

And really like the new wheels. They are rather pricey these days but you negotiated well .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaindelon
Back