Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it an offence to not SORN your vehicle?

Whytar

Hockenheim
So the scenario is that my road tax expires on May 31st and I'm not planning on driving the car again until it gets shipped back home to Australia later this year (Oct).
By law, am I required to advise the DVLA that I wont be renewing the road tax (or MOT) by way of a SORN?

If you don't tax it or declare it SORN they will fine you.

I found this out many years ago when SORN first came in. As I wasn't intending to use it for the winter I didn't bother doing anything when my bike tax was due and got a fine bigger than the years road tax would have been. :x

These days it only takes a minute to do it all on-line.

You need to do one or the other - doing nothing will get you an automatic £80 plus a bill for the road tax. If it ends up in court then the fine is up to £1000.

Here's a strange bit about SORN ,if the car has not been taxed since 31/1/1998 then a SORN is not required the source of this info was the Telegraph Motoring section this week :dont know:

[quote="Whytar" I'm not planning on driving the car again until it gets shipped back home to Australia later this year (Oct)[/quote]

Just out of curiosity did you buy the car here or are you talking it to Australia for the first time?

T8 said:
If you don't tax it or declare it SORN they will fine you.

I found this out many years ago when SORN first came in. As I wasn't intending to use it for the winter I didn't bother doing anything when my bike tax was due and got a fine bigger than the years road tax would have been. :x

These days it only takes a minute to do it all on-line.

How much is the fine?

The road tax on my Herald is £0
It's been in a garage being restored for past year
Back on the road in a few weeks
I didn't SORN it 😳

Mr Pub said:
How much is the fine?

I didn't SORN it 😳

The fine is £80

When did your 'tax' actually expire :?:

If you didn't re-tax it and didn't declare a SORN I'd expect them to have chased you with the fine within a couple of months.

mzmini said:
Here's a strange bit about SORN ,if the car has not been taxed since 31/1/1998 then a SORN is not required the source of this info was the Telegraph Motoring section this week :dont know:

It's a special dispensation for the majority of the 'beard and sandals' brigade :floor:

T8 said:
Mr Pub said:
How much is the fine?

I didn't SORN it 😳

The fine is £80

When did your 'tax' actually expire :?:

If you didn't re-tax it and didn't declare a SORN I'd expect them to have chased you with the fine within a couple of months.

End of August last year.

I was going to Tax it as its free - but the MOT had run out

It is like that other continous Insurance b#ll#cks. If you want to leave a gap between one policy and the new one you have to declare it SORN so that you can lose the rest of that month's tax and pay for the whole month again if you incept/renew before month end.

The best bit is it does not stop uninsured drivers as they continue on. If the Government want you to be up front then they should give pro rata refunds and allow you to have a renewal day instead of a renewal month.

:pc: ..... f'ing computers... make your life easier ...blah blah.... blah.

End of rant.

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back