Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

Thanks to this topic I have just ordered a damaged test steering wheel from ebay for £49 .00, I will order the paddles and have a practice before moving onto my own steering wheel.

I really could do with some advice (pictures would be great) of the wiring connections including the resistors. :?:

The OP had talked of a detailed guide but it never emerged. I've it all done but not working!

Ok guys, I took a couple of pics of my standard tiptronic wheel with the paddles soldered in. Left the insulation in but you can see the two looms in the pics below. (white loom is left and red is right).

The two paddles have their black wires soldered to the respective black wire you can see in the two pics. The yellow wire for the left (down) paddle is soldered to the red wire on the left (white) loom. The yellow wire for the right (up) paddle is soldered to the white wire on the right (red) loom.

Clearly this is wrong but where should they be soldered?

B4N6fFQ.jpg

6lz5TxS.jpg

Resolved and all working well!! Wiring was fine as it turns out.

Embarrassed to say it but Louie63 and Rich (to an earlier poster) were correct. There was insufficient space behind the switch to allow it to 'click' and switch properly. In my defence I was fooled by the fact that there was a mechanical clicking sound but testing revealed that was the metal points of the paddles hitting the bare metal of the wheel frame. So it looked ok and sounded ok but wasn't making the switch.

I resolved things by cutting more of the wheel frame away and adding a plastic spacer to the back of the paddles. I still found that overtightening the paddle would tighten it up to the point where it wouldn't work. Lesson to all doing this - don't overtighten and make sure you get the sprung feeling of the switch working before closing up.

After managing to nearly derail things by tearing one of the leads out of a paddle while cutting metal (don't ask - I managed to repair it by soldering) it now works.

So many thanks to Beebman for the idea and instructions (really looking forward to using it now) and specific thanks to Rich for all his help!

Been loving the new paddles. Definitely a great modification and very much enhances the driving experience without compromising the handiness of the existing switches for one handed driving.

One tiny gripe is that I've found the AMG paddles a little small. Also, while I can use them ok they may have been mounted a little inboard for the most comfortable use.

Im thinking of resolving both issues with a pair of these paddle extensions (there are similar ones around in different styles). They use grub screws to attach to the existing alloy paddles. Have emailed to see if the silver matches the silver of the existing paddles although I've a hankering to go for them in black.

I daresay its a marmite thing but they can be taken off in 2 minutes if I don't like them.

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151761312354?item=151761312354&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

AndrewM said:
Been loving the new paddles. Definitely a great modification and very much enhances the driving experience without compromising the handiness of the existing switches for one handed driving.

One tiny gripe is that I've found the AMG paddles a little small. Also, while I can use them ok they may have been mounted a little inboard for the most comfortable use.

Im thinking of resolving both issues with a pair of these paddle extensions (there are similar ones around in different styles). They use grub screws to attach to the existing alloy paddles. Have emailed to see if the silver matches the silver of the existing paddles although I've a hankering to go for them in black.

I daresay its a marmite thing but they can be taken off in 2 minutes if I don't like them.

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151761312354?item=151761312354&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

This is a mod I will do when I get some time, I would be very interested to see how these extensions work out, they look great.

Guys, wow this is a great thread, thank you so much to all of you that have done it and took the time to post results.

I have a question that I think it will clear any confusion going forward.

If you have a multi-function steering wheel, you will need a

150ohm for the down shift ( yellow to RED (tip control))
270ohm for the up shift ( yellow White (tip control))

is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

ground cable

RonMinch said:
Hi Andrew, Another shot from the front, the paddles are AMG off ebay £60.00, I have kept my old wheel in case I want to go back, the difficult bit in profiling the mounts, was thinking of getting some 3D printed but happy for now just to get it running again. Had a bit of a scare when I got it all back together, reconnected the battery, switch on the ignition and every fault you can think of came up tried to start it but every thing went mad windows half down solenoid bouncing, battery had completely failed wouldn't take a charge. New battery fitted and now everything back to normal thank god.

there are two yellow cable from each paddle, which one is ground?

I've planning to get the parts together to do this as local indie told me they would not code a new wheel due to concerns on new air bag.

Any friendly PIWiS opps?

Hovis said:
I've planning to get the parts together to do this as local indie told me they would not code a new wheel due to concerns on new air bag.

Any friendly PIWiS opps?

Really I changed my gen1 tip wheel to a gen2 pdk on my gen1 and gen1 wheel to a 991 sport wheel on my gen2 and the OPC had no issues doing it. Suggest you try another indie or friendly OPC mate if you still want to do the swap. Bournemouth OPC have done loads of then now :thumb:

Did you buy the wheel from them?

Any suggestions near notts? Not been to the OPC just local indies.

How do they hold to the steering wheel?

Hi Guys,
I have finally decided to give it a go and add paddle to a 997.1 sport steering wheel but cannot figure out how you have managed to attach them.

I have the Mecedes PAddle
I have the steering wheel
I have an extra tiptronic harness (to re-use the porsche connectors)

Can you please give plenty of details on the procedure followed to screw them in (photos woul dbe great!!) please?
Many thanks,
BooToo

Re: How do they hold to the steering wheel?

BooToo said:
Hi Guys,
I have finally decided to give it a go and add paddle to a 997.1 sport steering wheel but cannot figure out how you have managed to attach them.

I have the Mecedes PAddle
I have the steering wheel
I have an extra tiptronic harness (to re-use the porsche connectors)

Can you please give plenty of details on the procedure followed to screw them in (photos woul dbe great!!) please?
Many thanks,
BooToo
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/962061-paddle-shift-steering-wheel-for-987-1-cayman-s.html
Edit: I put the right link now, however in the instructions there is an
error with the black kabel but the diagram is right, just follow the diagram.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back