Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Leather Seats: Cleaning and Maintaining.

Best cleaner / conditioner by far is "Saddle Soap" ..... if it is good enough to protect and maintain a top quality Dressage saddle then its good enough for my C2S ............. Also not expensive and one bar will last you a lifetime

Well, rear seats completed.
The Lexol cleaner is excellent and once the leather is dry gives a very matt appearance which I like.
I'm slightlt loathed to apply the conditioner in case it will delete the matt appearance.

:thumb:

yes, I thought that when I did mine (not same stuff as you) the cleanser does leave everything clean and fresh. I used the conditioner very sparingly (as Im not sure it actually needs it) and it stayed matt and has the added advantage of a subtle new leather smell.

Not sure if this of any use, but I've just finished an hour with a leather brush and some new cleaner. I saw it recommended somewhere online.

I actually didn't know what my 997 seats were supposed to look like, until now it would seem. Even my steering wheel is no longer shiny!!

Anyway, it's dodo juice - supernatural leather cleaner. And I'll follow up in the morning with lexol. Although, the finish is so bloody good after this dodo juice stuff I'm a bit hesitant. TBH.

Cheers Andy for the heads up.
I watched Wheeler Dealers the other day and they had an old Bentley they were restoring. The seats were in a bad state and they took it to a guy who basically got them back to near new again, amazing.
Firstly he used, in basics terms, a harsh cleaner and sand paper. He then followed up with a coloured leather conditioner. The result was first class.
Maybe you could view it again on catchup but it was a superb turnaround. :thumb:

Image said:
Best cleaner / conditioner by far is "Saddle Soap" ..... if it is good enough to protect and maintain a top quality Dressage saddle then its good enough for my C2S ............. Also not expensive and one bar will last you a lifetime

Saddle Soap and 'Flash' are very alkaline in nature, typically PH10 and not suited to car leather interiors. You have to remember that saddles are made out of very tough and resilient tanned leather, car leather interiors are not and will over time degrade from the effects of the alkaline content in these products. Proprietary car leather cleaners are generally PH neutral, good at removing dirt but will not harm the leather.

We haven't yet come up with such a product and a way for the leather interior to shine with its pristine beauty for a whole year. If you do not use a car, the interior will still be covered with dust. It is necessary to clean and protect the leather interior of your car at least once every three months. You can care about it yourself or drive a car to a specialized service. As you wish. What do you think the best leather cleaner for car interior is?

I've never applied Flash to a leather interior, I can honestly say I never will. mixing 50/50 with water would leave me to believe the interior must be absolutely minging ? If it was that dirty the two options I would choose before cracking open a bottle of floor cleaner are change the interior or flog the Car,

I've wiped mine down before with a warm damp cloth and no muck has lifted, I apply Gliptone to the seat base and bolster occasionally which gives it a Matt finish but that's more for the smell than anything else,

I've cleaned my leather interior today for.the first time. I was nervous doing for fear of damaging the leather. For the job I purchased the following 2 products.
Simply sprayed it on and with the soft brush ram over it in a circular motion and then wiped dry with paper towels. I have to say on the drivers seat I thought I was removing the colour. Turns out inbedded grime has a similar look to Cocoa :eek: :grin:
I've not seen it in the daylight, but the finish is now the same as the rear seats. A lovely Matt finish.
I did the door cards and dash and all came up the same. I'll have to see how the steering wheel came up, may need to give that a second crack. I'd strongly recommend doing it :thumb:

Attachments

• 20191206_151322_1200x1600_160.jpg
    20191206_151322_1200x1600_160.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 7,191
  • 20191206_151342_1200x1600_583.jpg
    20191206_151342_1200x1600_583.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 7,191
I've read good things about supernatural. There is a high end detail lot near me who use it for interiors.

Must give it a try...

Bar of Pears soap, bucket of warm water and two microfibres for me:

Froth up the bar of soap in a wet microfibre and work into the leather seats.
Rinse microfibre out in bucket and wipe off seats, repeat until seats are clean.
Then use second, dry microfibre to buff seats dry.

Optionally rub-in Gliptone with another microfibre to get that lovely old leather smell.

TurboRob said:
Bar of Pears soap, bucket of warm water and two microfibres for me:

Froth up the bar of soap in a wet microfibre and work into the leather seats.
Rinse microfibre out in bucket and wipe off seats, repeat until seats are clean.
Then use second, dry microfibre to buff seats dry.

Optionally rub-in Gliptone with another microfibre to get that lovely old leather smell.

I've stopped using leather conditioner... I wonder with modern sealed leather there was really no point as it does not sink in and just makes the leather slippery and shiny. Zymol Treat was my favourite as that seemed very light.

The Gliptone Scuffmaster is absolutely brilliant if you have any scratches, cracks or abrasions to fix. Easy and very effective.

Has anyone tried these, for a leather smell?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gliptone-L...ocphy=9045315&hvtargid=pla-784303494611&psc=1

Saw the seats in the daylight today whilst washing the car and they've pretty good. After seeing them semi gloss for so long, it seems weird to see them as they were.

I nearly went for Dodo supernatural, but got dr.Leather spray instead. Does a good enough job, by my 911 never gets that dirty.

The wife recently bought a used XC90 with white leather, white seatbelts, white carpet :sad: it was pretty poorly prepped, and grubby as hell.

We were offered the usual 'Lifeshine' deal, which I declined and took a discount instead.

The Dr.leather didn't cut it at actually changing the grubby colour, so I went for 2 part colourlock kit (to prevent dye transfer from jeans). Very pleased with the results.

Also, top tip for light coloured seatbelts,
Reel out seatbelt all the way, apply bulldog clip.
Bath Towel on seat base
Place bucket on the seat, (biological washing powder in a bucket of hot water)
Leave seatbelt to soak in bucket overnight
Scrub with brush over the bucket (this is why you need the bath towel).
Micro fibre to remove excess water.

Results were amazing for such little cost. £2 washing powder, £2 scrubbing brush, & some TLC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back