Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2x 964s for sale at RPM

hi Martin,

Thread revival! Your ex-C4 looks lovely...during your ownership how did you find its handling on fast country lanes &/or track may I ask?

Ask as one side of me wants to lower my C4 to RS height & get newer suspension to deal with understeer on track....but on the flip side I find current stock ride height & suspension just fantastic for b-road thrashing on our pot-holed unmaintained roads & even pushing hard it's not enough to provoke serious understeer. Dont want to make an expensive mistake...

Roro on the flipside the 997.1 is really growing on me, i keep mistaking them for 993s from afar when used to think they looked really plain compared to aircooled models

... I keep looking at 964's... I always did prefer the look to 993, I wish I'd bought before the prices went through the roof, however I've missed the boat and there's a number of other motors I'd rather have in the garage at 30k+ :)

badlands said:
hi Martin,

Thread revival! Your ex-C4 looks lovely...during your ownership how did you find its handling on fast country lanes &/or track may I ask?

Ask as one side of me wants to lower my C4 to RS height & get newer suspension to deal with understeer on track....but on the flip side I find current stock ride height & suspension just fantastic for b-road thrashing on our pot-holed unmaintained roads & even pushing hard it's not enough to provoke serious understeer. Dont want to make an expensive mistake...

Hi badlands!

I did get bumpsteer with it being low, but Chris at center gravity set up the car and greatly reduced the understeer. The lowering kit was on before I got the car so don't know how harsh a new kit would be, but I know you can get adjustable kW kits etc.

Untimately if your suspension needs replacing I would buy something like kW adjustable and speak to centre gravity or rpm to get the set up which suits road and track. Personally I think standard height is too high.

I like the d90s and kept them on. An added bonus is you get extras give in the suspension from the higher tyre sidewalls on the 16" wheels.

As an aside I have my 'track' d90's and 888s for sale at the moment as they don't fit on the new car.

The c4 is a great all round car which is very capable and great fun both on road or track

Martin

thanks for your insight! :thumbs:

No problem. It's only my 2p worth though. There are loads of people who know far more than me!

not a C4, but i found my C2 with stock suspension horrible on the yorkshire B-Roads i do all my driving on. Comfy etc yes, but the handling & behaviour was not confidence inspiring at all.

I fitted Bilstein PSS10's and went to RS+5mm ride height & RS settings ( although gather this is similar to C2 )

Handling is a revelation .. manages the B-roads amazingly. Yes the suspesnsion is firmer but this is adjustable on teh bilsteins and suits what I want from the car. My wife is more than happy to spend hours in the passenger seat and doesn't complain at all about the ride quality. For me , its the best upgrade I've ever done to a car .

Hi James,

I agree the suspension of the standard spec isn't up to our Yorkshire pastures, I did the same (Bilstein B-16's, dialled in at 5 setting) and I'm very happy with that upgrade.

Cheers,
Paul

thanks both, bilstein pss10 is definitely the way I'll be going if making the mod :thumb:

Roro said:
So my 2 cents for the hell of it..

After the 997, the 964 is the best looking 'modern' 911 :grin:
l

+1 on that statement ....still kicking myself for not buying a 964 years ago ..!!
T

911TEL said:
Roro said:
So my 2 cents for the hell of it..

After the 997, the 964 is the best looking 'modern' 911 :grin:
l

+1 on that statement ....still kicking myself for not buying a 964 years ago ..!!
T

I agree the 964 is a beaut! But I still do not regret selling mine recently. My 997 is so much nicer to pilot - crazy power aside. :thumbs:

badlands said:
thanks both, bilstein pss10 is definitely the way I'll be going if making the mod :thumb:

Good choice :thumb: I'll echo what James says above. The PSS10's made a massive difference on mine, even when running a few mm under standard RS ride height. Their adjustability is a big plus, I usually run setting 7 on the rear and 6 upfront. Don't forget a good geo setup too.

has any had their geo done by London-ish area indies like say Jaz or Precision...as opposed to Center Gravity? How were the results

I just can't justify the spend of new suspension + fitting costs + another £1k for geo :nooo:

I find the standard suspension perfect for B roads but that's everything doing what it should be doing. If however you have 25+ yr old suspension then it could be a different story.

Centre gravity are a lot less than 1000 even for a full corner weight/geo setup. However, A friend has his rs in jaz today for a setup and he recommends them as good I believe?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back