Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 ownership thread

Stevepen - you'd hope dealer cars would be better prepped than that. Good look with your search 😀

I've just heard back from the garage and it looks very promising that the car will be ready for this Saturday. Fingers crossed the weather gets better!

The wheels have been refurbished, so should look like new. The seat backs have been sprayed Artic Silver to match the exterior, with a high gloss finish. I can't wait to see these!

Out of interest does anyone know where to get a new gear shift leather boot from? Mine is looking a little tired and could do with being replaced. All I can find is places selling the full gear sick which is a little excessive. Circa £900, ouch.

Im thinking of doing this at the same time as the GT3 console delete.

She's Arrived!

I went to pick the car up on Saturday and this time everything was spot on. I had more time to have a good look through the history file which was all laid out in a lever arch file. With paperwork a couple of inches thick. It seems like every bill has been saved.

Towards the end of last year over £10k was spent on everything from the IMS, to brake lines to a Dansk exhaust ( a bonus I wasn't expecting!). This all gave me great confidence that the car had been well looked after and is a sorted as possible.

The wheels have had a full refurb and look brand new.

The seat backs have been sprayed body colour and look fantastic. They really lift the interior.

IMG_4655_zpsnjrgxwwz.jpg
[/URL]

I'll take some good shots taken this weekend when the weather plays nice!

The drive home wasn't quite as fun as I'd have liked due to the shocking weather! But i did have a few moments to blip the loud pedal and see what she could do. My lord it sounds nice! with the window down its just glorious! Even on start up it has an amazing bark.

Overall I'm very impressed. To me its the most beautiful car and I feel very privileged to be able to have one in my garage.

As ever theres a couple of things that need looking at.

A small amount of rust in the drivers side rear arch. It looks like its come from a couple of stone chips. Nothing major but it does need sorting.

The headlights need a good polish. They've got a slight yellow tint and a few scratches.

Otherwise she's just perfect :cloud9:

grbspeedster said:
Love the seats colour coded :thumb:
Have fun

Yup i second this. Would like this on my car also.

sackerley said:
- On the test drive there was a lot of wind noise from the drivers side. On investigation it seems the the door catch wasn't aligned properly follow the sills being resprayed. No way I could have driven it like this for 3 hours on the M1.

They probably removed the door catch bar from the door shut to treat and paint the usual rust that bubbles up under it. They weren't fitted with a gasket at the factory so all early cars do it.

Would be worth seeing if they have fitted a gasket - if not its a VW part for pennies and will stop the rust reappearing....but you would have to adjust the doors again!

Good to see its not just me that think the seats look smart

Wasz - the respray in the sills was down the previous owner leaving the seatbelt in the sill and slamming the door shut. It made a right mess which needed sorting.

Wow, those seat backs look amazing! I bet you're quite glad they were in such a state to begin with now :wink:

I hope I can find as nice a car as you have, I'm currently looking for a 996 C4S.

Maundrells don't have any at the moment, when I looked I came across that green interior 996 - yuk, that's horrendous :nooo:

Thanks Phil. Yes I'm very glad they needed doing! It was well worth the wait.

The 996 with the green interior is a very tidy car. But I have to agree with you over the interior, it's definitely not my thing either. I'm sure someone will snap it up though.

Good look with your search :thumb:

Looks amazing, and well worth the wait.

Have to get my seat back colour coded.

Ive got the car in at RPM over in Knaresborough today. I thought it wise to give it a health check, and have the geo looked at. As much as it appears to have been well looked after, its my first 911 and I really wouldn't have a clue if it drives as well as it should.

Health check wise its spot on :thumb:

But... Theres always a but! When checking the geo one of the toe arms and bushes have seized, with a snapped bolt along for the ride. So they need replacing. Not the end of the world but still a few pennies I was hoping to avoid! At least when its done it will be perfect.

:D

Well it's about time I updated this thread.

I've had a bit of body work done. First up is removing the rear wiper. I hated how this looked and thought it spoiled the lines. I initially replaced it with a bung. But I wasn't happy with this and decided to go the expensive route and get it filled and sprayed. Looks a load better. (But yes slightly excessive!)

Next up was more dramatic. Whilst I appreciate the clean lines of a C2 I still felt it needed more aggression. I love the GT3 look front and side sills, but I'm not overly keen on the rear spoiler. So having explored Oem and aftermarket options for the front and sides. I ended up where I thought I would, buying oem.

I think it transforms the looks, it's much more purposeful. Super pleased with this.

Ive a few interior bits done too which I'll update soon.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back