Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo S PCCB noise

Desertfox

Hi

I have a 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. After two years and 22,000 km it's developed a clicking noise/grinding on braking and on sharp turns e.g. car parks. I can only hear them at low speeds but they are quite loud. The car hasn't been driven too madly and as I live in Dubai never in the wet.

Porsche are telling me that these noises are a normal noise from PCCB brakes and relatively common, it is the PCCB mounting catching on the wheel. However, having had other 911s albeit without PCCB I've never had this kind of noise. They seem to be suggesting that a design flaw is actually normal.

I'm told that the brakes don't have a problem, the noise is just 'acoustic' however I am very disappointed in the response and wondered if anyone else had had similar issues with PCCBs. It sounds like a quality control issue more than anything.

Would welcome any opinions.

So Porsche said the ceramic disc mounting , the part that holds it onto the hub is HITTING the wheel ?

Ok , fair enough so i assume theres marks on your wheels where the mounting is hitting ? bit difficult as the discs rotate at the same speed as the wheels.

From memory when they first came out there was a huge problem with front disc noise it was louder than you describe and temp related.I seem to rember there was a stop sale campaign at the time untill it was fixed .. it ended up haveing new front discs fitted , it was to do with the mounting points flexing i think.

That was only for the UK market that i was aware of and it was evident on new cars only so may be nothing to do with your problem.

BUT to be told something is hitting a wheel and is normal ??? lol i dont think so.

Try customer services or complaining direct to Porsche .. that usually works .. at least here it does.

Hi,

Just in case anyone else has a similar issue. Apparently, the noise is the spring clips within the brake unit. The noise got gradually worse and worse until it was clicking on all turns and under anything other than very mild braking.

Porsche were excellent (in the end) and replaced both sets of front brake discs. The noise has now disappeared.

They remain adamant that this is a normal noise and that many 991s with PCCB make the same noise. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this type of clicking noise.

Cheers

Desertfox said:
Porsche were excellent (in the end) and replaced both sets of front brake discs. The noise has now disappeared.

Glad that the problem is now fixed (at least for the time being). However, Porsche really do like the smoke and mirrors explanation every so often. There is no way on this earth that German engineers have designed in "noise" accidentally or deliberately into a ceramic brake disc.

For the OPC to suggest that this is indeed the case, is just total pish. :nooo:

Good luck, and let us know if the noise returns on the new discs.

DRZ911 said:
Desertfox said:

Glad that the problem is now fixed (at least for the time being). However, Porsche really do like the smoke and mirrors explanation every so often. There is no way on this earth that German engineers have designed in "noise" accidentally or deliberately into a ceramic brake disc.

Good luck, and let us know if the noise returns on the new discs.

what he said

Sounds like it's a 991 only problem as I've never heard of this before. My 997 has PCCBs and I don't get that noise. My car is at 25k.

So are they saying it will return in another 22k?

DRZ911 said:

What a marvellous expression........sums it up though.

Hi,

So four weeks later the noise has returned a clicking noise audible at more than a 1/4 steering turn even at speeds of around 50/60mph, this is after Porsche replaced the front PCCBs at their considerable cost. Further discussion states that it is the spring clips that hold the hub and that the noise is common and that Porsche are happy that this is normal. Apparently, it might be the heat in Dubai :)

They have been re-designed in the 991.2 Turbo S and they don't expect the same issue.

I can't really believe that Porsche would allow this to be considered normal and wondered if anyone else had this clicking noise. To be honest, with the roof up you can't really hear it (unless you know it is there) and I'm not sure where to go now. I can live with it but it has put me off Porsche if these quality issues are creeping in.

Can I replace PCCB with steel ones in a Turbo S, is it possible to grease the clips to remove the noise. Any other options?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back