Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hard to find oil leaks

ras62

After having fixed a bad leak on the drain tubes last year the crankcase was still getting a coating of oil so this week the remaining leak was tackled by the Porsche doctors at Unit 11.
Actually there were two leaks, one from bank 1 cam chain box to cam carrier O ring / triangle gasket and the other from the crank front nose seal. Both side cam chain boxes O ring / gaskets were replaced and the IMS O ring also changed while everything was accessible.
The cams obviously needed to be timed and the motor is now running great, smoother than before which I think suggests the OPC who had done work on bank 2 many years ago had not matched the cam timing up the very well.
Lessons learnt. The distributor was really tough to remove and the crank pulley torque is huge! Definitely not a DIY.

What are we talking cost ball park figure :dont know:

I renewed the rear tin and a few other odds and ends, I would say £150 in parts for the various gaskets and seals and 6-7 hours labor. These leak areas are very common, almost all 964/993s are affected if the engine hasn't been touched. Doing this at the same time as valve adjustment would reduce the labor a little as some of the work is already included.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back