Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 C4S - Random overheating

markvorny

Monza
Hi All, looking for some assistance on this one. I have owned my 2013 C4S for two years. Last year, in queueing traffic for the MotoGP at Silverstone, the car overheated. I pulled over and dumped the car for the day so as not to miss the racing. Came back and it ran perfectly, took it to my OPC and they said the fans were jammed with debris courtesy of my local councils tar spraying fetish.
Since then, it randomly overheats, not enough to get the warning, but enough to make you get a squeeky bum.
The engine compartment fans seem to be random in their operation, or so I think, yet after 2 further visits to my OPC and no solution I have palpitations whenever a queue beckons.
The car is on extended warranty, I am going to try another OPC, but any similar experiences out there ??

Have no direct experience of this problem on a 911, but from experience with others vehicles, could possibly be :-

1. Sticky thermostat, is your normal temp = 90 deg C
2. Air pockets/not bled properly
3. Water pump damaged
4. Debris stuck in cooling system
5. Is coolant Porsche approved and the right mix ratio ?
6. Fans not cutting in at correct temp (faulty sensor/programming)
7. Slow coolant leak - is level correct ?

Sorry, can't be more precise. Hope this helps. :lol:

Thanks for the response, it sort of backs up what I have been thinking, but because it behaves when it goes in there is a refusal to accept anything such as a faulty thermostat.

Temp is normally at 90C
OPC refilled and bled the system in August, so I hope they have done it correctly. Hopefully correct ratio, etc.
I am about to go out and inspect all the debris collection spots, they are hoovered out from the front but need to inspect behind.

I did have a changeover valve with an intermittent fault changed. That was caysing no heating, so wonder whether there is gunk and debris in the cooling system somewhere too.

Thermostate is electronically operated so if any fault there should be a fault code which Opc would have seen and if it had failed shut the car would REALLY overheat so i dont think its this.

The valve you mentioned is probably a vacumn valve for the coolant bypass system .. again unlikely to be the current fault.

Debris in coolant system .. i dont see how im afraid so unlikely ..

You mentioned over heating but not with warning so you mean it gets hotter on the gauge but not full overheating ? do you mean 100 ish or higher ?

A squeeky burn ? do you mean a noise or a smell ?

Im thinking the fans or a partially blocked radiator may be the cause , if tar got onto the fans to stop them working then i expect it also got onto the rads , not enough to cause a huge problem but perhaps enough that when stationary the temp creeps up a bit.

Also , if statioanry you will see an increase in temp which is normal which may be what the Opc is thinking.

Thanks for enlightening me on a few things there, really appreciated.

The first time, I had the yellow warning come up, and stopped straight away.

The subsequent times the temperature has risen dramatically, but I have taken action and stopped, pulled over, before it triggers the yellow warning. I start worrying at the 110C mark, When it does this, the aircon compressor gets de-activared and the stop-start disengages, which I believe both happen for a reason.
From experience, would you say this is normal ?

Got it booked in next week at a different OPC to see if they can find anything. I am hopefully going to Italy in the summer and don't want any unreliability.

Btw, the squeeky bum is mine as I worry about the thing going pop :D

markvorny said:
Thanks for enlightening me on a few things there, really appreciated.

The first time, I had the yellow warning come up, and stopped straight away.

The subsequent times the temperature has risen dramatically, but I have taken action and stopped, pulled over, before it triggers the yellow warning. I start worrying at the 110C mark, When it does this, the aircon compressor gets de-activared and the stop-start disengages, which I believe both happen for a reason.
From experience, would you say this is normal ?

Got it booked in next week at a different OPC to see if they can find anything. I am hopefully going to Italy in the summer and don't want any unreliability.

Btw, the squeeky bum is mine as I worry about the thing going pop :D

Yes, but is it a noise or smell?

We need to know.

(for the possible clean-up)

The car is shutting down anything it can thats putting a load on the engine to try to stop overheating .. basically thats a desperation effort by the car to protect itself.

This sounds like a pretty serious fault not just slight overheating , you need to get it looked at and not driven much untill then.

It sounds to me like the fans are not cutting in at all as you mention when stationary , no air flow cooling when stationary so engine temp increases quite fast then.

You could try listening to the fans cutting in and if they get loud when stationary .. but im dubious about even running it to temp atm.

Other than checking the coolant lvl theres not much you can really do im afraid , to test most things its either a tester or stripping parts to check.

Sqeeky bum .. lol i read it as burn .. need to wear my glasses more often :)

A quick update.

The OPC diagnosed it very quickly. Both fans at the front were seized solid and have been replaced under warranty. All water temperatures absolutely constant at 90C now as they should be.

Disappointed that the earlier attempts by a different OPC failed to diagnose.

That is very poor via OPC.
Their diagnostic equipment can manually cycle the fans when on test so why on earth didn't they do this!
Imagine if your engine had gone pop!
Glad its sorted!
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back