Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

DRZ911

Mugello
Tyre pressure monitoring system (TMPS) going crazy tonight. :eek:

Warning being flashed up telling me that rear nearside is down by 0.3 bar, yet when pressures are checked on the car's read-out and on an independent gauge, both rear tyres rear 2.2 bar. Nothing stuck in the tyre that I can see.

Any ideas why the car thinks the tyre is deflating. :?:

Batteries dying on the TPMS sensors perhaps. How old are they :?:

The car is just under 2 years old. The industry quoted figure for TPMS battery life seems to be 5-7 years.

Ended up putting an extra 1 psi into each of the tyres. The driver's display then flashed up that the TPMS was in a "learning" mode. So drove the car, and now all the red warnings are gone. Strange behaviour and nothing to indicate what the car originally thought was wrong.

As an aside, the rear tyres have now less than 3mm of thread. Starting to twitch alot on most road surfaces, especially when there are mixed patches of damp and dry. Time for some new tyres. :lol:

Can you change the batteries or are they a sealed unit?

6appeal said:
Can you change the batteries or are they a sealed unit?

Luckily, not the batteries at this point.

However, from what I am told, the batteries are non-replaceable, not covered by OPC warranty and genuine replacement sensors are £200 per wheel. :sad:

Have to check this out with my OPC as it is worth knowing for the future.

I can't remember the detail, but I had similar with the TPMS on one of my wheels in my RS6. A few years ago now, but I think after a few resets it settled down.

Tyre pressure the car sees and the tyre pressure you read off the gauge can be different , go into tpm .. info and it should tell you how much pressure to add , ignore the tyre gauge and increase pressure untill it reads 0 .. nothing left to add and you wont have problems again.

Trouble is if you read off your tyre pressure gauge it will seem that they are over inflated .. ALL porsches have done this since tpm came out .. god knows why but gauge pressure and car pressure are often different.

Sensor batterys are not replaceable but should last a min of 5 years.

Just as an FYI, the OEM Beru sensors are available for less than £90 each - do not fall for the Porsche tax.

I had them fitted including a nitrogen fill for £15 per wheel.

So did we ever get an answer on if our Cars DIDNT come with TPMS.... can we get the wheel sensors and then just get it turned on within the car?

Why tyre pressures are not monitored via the wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensor.... is beyond me.... No coding, no failures, no batteries... it just works forever. No its not 'accurate', but its good enough.

Also.... if a TPMS sensor is not used....as wheels are not on car.... how long is that batteries shelf life....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back